Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3729570 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4155 on: November 02, 2012, 09:11:17 am »

W-we're getting retired forts?  And activating the world?  And getting NPC non-human sites?  And activating the world?

This release is a bundle of things I thought we weren't even going to start for a few years, much less NOW.  This is awesome.

We've known about world activation was coming since June, IIRC...
Yeah, but at the time I wasn't expecting that one till we'd worked through inns and other economy stuff.  Ditto for non-human sites, although I've been modding my game so other races have human sites, so I'm not AS excited for that one.  The heroic, goblin fighting, child liberating adventures dark fortresses open up are going to be awesome though.

...It was the first thing he worked on this release >_>

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: November 02, 2012, 10:53:28 am »

Dwarf Fortresses required a little more than just that required for Goblin settlements and so on. My personal opinion is well get proper mines and 3D veins, which will result in the addition for mines for all mining civilisations. Dwarf Fortresses are different though in that their mining and city-building processes are very closely related. I'd really expect the release to come out after the new sites are done, though it will probably take longer with armies moving around the map and finishing up.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: November 02, 2012, 11:16:07 am »

Fortress retirement is pretty darn exciting.  I always feel guilty about abandoning fortresses, like once I've gone all the dwarves wake up as if from a dream and look at each other and say, "what.. what were we all just doing?  Why did we dig these embarrassing rabbit warrens in this soil?  Let's get back to civilization for a real drink."  Hopefully they'll make my retirement less shameful now.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: November 02, 2012, 11:34:10 am »

W-we're getting retired forts?  And activating the world?  And getting NPC non-human sites?  And activating the world?

This release is a bundle of things I thought we weren't even going to start for a few years, much less NOW.  This is awesome.

We've known about world activation was coming since June, IIRC...
Yeah, but at the time I wasn't expecting that one till we'd worked through inns and other economy stuff.  Ditto for non-human sites, although I've been modding my game so other races have human sites, so I'm not AS excited for that one.  The heroic, goblin fighting, child liberating adventures dark fortresses open up are going to be awesome though.

...It was the first thing he worked on this release >_>
I know.  The statement "things I thought we weren't even going to start for a few years, much less NOW" applied to each of the things I listed, at the time I found out about them.  So Toady's like "hey, we're activating the world now" and I'm like, "woah, thought we were a few big releases away from that".  Then, some days later, I have the same thoughts about non-human sites, and now fortress retirement.  Throwing all those things in a list was supposed to be more concise than explaining in story form that I was suprised by each of them in chronological order, although I'm writing it out now and having a quote pyramid so so much for that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: November 03, 2012, 12:29:36 am »

Apologies if this sounds suggestion-y but I'm just addressing a long-standing problem that now seems pretty... urgent.

Toady, now that adventure mode is becoming more "major", and you're doing all the various work on making combat better and more functional, are you going to be taking a look at some of the more extenuating issues like crossbows being particle splitting railguns or certain types of weapons being ungodly overkill for what they should be?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: November 03, 2012, 12:42:12 am »

Fortress retirement is pretty darn exciting.  I always feel guilty about abandoning fortresses, like once I've gone all the dwarves wake up as if from a dream and look at each other and say, "what.. what were we all just doing?  Why did we dig these embarrassing rabbit warrens in this soil?  Let's get back to civilization for a real drink."  Hopefully they'll make my retirement less shameful now.
This this this. Since many forts are less interesting once the challanges of set up are done, Until you get more challanges late game, like economic stuff, you very often end up with nice perfectly fine forts trashed, or worse, plain abandoned.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: November 03, 2012, 01:43:56 am »

certain types of weapons being ungodly overkill for what they should be?

We're talking about whips, right? And scourges?

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #4162 on: November 03, 2012, 02:13:54 am »

certain types of weapons being ungodly overkill for what they should be?

We're talking about whips, right? And scourges?
...and Fluffy Wumblers.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 02:16:15 am by BradUffner »
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: November 03, 2012, 02:42:49 am »

Apologies if this sounds suggestion-y but I'm just addressing a long-standing problem that now seems pretty... urgent.

Toady, now that adventure mode is becoming more "major", and you're doing all the various work on making combat better and more functional, are you going to be taking a look at some of the more extenuating issues like crossbows being particle splitting railguns or certain types of weapons being ungodly overkill for what they should be?

He's planning to work on that stuff, but it doesn't really seem related to this release.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: November 03, 2012, 04:41:45 am »

whats the problem with crossbows? they dont seem overly powerful to me. the only problem might be the rate of fire being too high.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: November 03, 2012, 05:16:50 am »

I've been wondering how easy it is to use a crossbow and shield, with actually reloading the crossbow after more than one shot. But yeah, it probably won't get looked at in the next release. But we have had reaction times and other combat stuff, so who knows.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: November 03, 2012, 09:16:38 am »

If you want a modder's fix on overpowered ranged weapons, Joben did some nice work editting the raws of crossbows and bolts and found out how to make them more realistic.
There's a link in my sig.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: November 03, 2012, 09:36:27 am »

I've been wondering how easy it is to use a crossbow and shield, with actually reloading the crossbow after more than one shot. But yeah, it probably won't get looked at in the next release. But we have had reaction times and other combat stuff, so who knows.

Well, Toady did do more than just Movement/Attack Speed as part of the combat rewrite. For instance, he added delays before and after attacks (to use Toady's example was like a snake bite, it hits fast but then takes some time to do again).
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: November 03, 2012, 01:03:59 pm »

I just figured that if Adventure Mode was going to be approaching something closer to "playable in more ways than grinding stats and killing loosely organized groups of bandits over and over again", that it might be the right time to look at making less adventure mode characters end in ways that don't logically make sense.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: November 03, 2012, 01:47:32 pm »

Odd I thought Crossbows were REALLY toned down (In fact possibly TOO toned down)

When did they become overpowered all over again?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 04:08:37 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 748