Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733570 times)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4170 on: November 03, 2012, 10:18:54 pm »

The basic three-way split is between hill dwarf sites near the mountain on the surface, deeper sites under the mountains that have no direct external exit, and fortresses, which connect the surface to the underground and are the same sort of sites that you create. The nobility are also going to be adapted to this new layout. We might not get to the involvement of hill dwarves and deeper sites with your fortress during play for this release, since that's another involved addition, but we will be laying the groundwork for that here.

Can you clarify what you mean here? What are these undergrounds sites supposed to represent? Are they dwarven made or something that just exists?

You make them sound distinctly separate from the fort layouts and make them sound like they will be added to fort mode and therefore not a current part of it.

I'm curious because if these areas are hidden and you can occasionally dig into one that could be kind of cool, but it also sounds like it could be something else too.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:29:19 pm by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: November 03, 2012, 10:35:50 pm »

Odd I thought Crossbows were REALLY toned down (In fact possibly TOO toned down)

When did they become overpowered all over again?

Well, the issue is they're never quite toned down "right", projectile weapons have always been quirky in DF on account of that they have to work in both adventure mode and fortress mode, I'm hoping with Toady's new changes to combat he can properly fix them now that he has multiple attack phases and possibly new weapon properties to play with.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: November 03, 2012, 10:39:17 pm »

With the inclusion of underground sites, will tunnels be reintroduced to worldgen? and will they on longer be blocked up in fort mode so that dwarven caravans can enter your fort through the underground.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: November 03, 2012, 10:57:53 pm »

With the dwarven sites is there the possibility of whole mountain ranges carved inside into giant dwarven cities, riddled with corridors and rooms and similar not unlike Moria, or are you thinking smaller?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: November 03, 2012, 11:13:54 pm »

The basic three-way split is between hill dwarf sites near the mountain on the surface, deeper sites under the mountains that have no direct external exit, and fortresses, which connect the surface to the underground and are the same sort of sites that you create. The nobility are also going to be adapted to this new layout. We might not get to the involvement of hill dwarves and deeper sites with your fortress during play for this release, since that's another involved addition, but we will be laying the groundwork for that here.

Can you clarify what you mean here? What are these undergrounds sites supposed to represent? Are they dwarven made or something that just exists?

You make them sound distinctly separate from the fort layouts and make them sound like they will be added to fort mode and therefore not a current part of it.

I'm curious because if these areas are hidden and you can occasionally dig into one that could be kind of cool, but it also sounds like it could be something else too.

Sounds like totally underground dwarven cities, and forts are the (heavily guarded) surface entrance/outposts.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: November 03, 2012, 11:27:55 pm »

Will there ever be an option for Fort Mode to play as a deep mountain site? I.e. is the description of (paraphrasing) "fortresses are what you play as in fort mode, but in addition we're adding hill settlements and deep sites inside mountains" merely indicative of how these sites compare to what is currently in fort mode, or is this restrictive in that we should not expect to be able to play these other new types of sites anywhere down the road?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: November 04, 2012, 01:03:24 am »

With the dwarven sites is there the possibility of whole mountain ranges carved inside into giant dwarven cities, riddled with corridors and rooms and similar not unlike Moria, or are you thinking smaller?

That sounds like hell on FPS, and worldgen...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: November 04, 2012, 01:08:30 am »

Will there ever be an option for Fort Mode to play as a deep mountain site? I.e. is the description of (paraphrasing) "fortresses are what you play as in fort mode, but in addition we're adding hill settlements and deep sites inside mountains" merely indicative of how these sites compare to what is currently in fort mode, or is this restrictive in that we should not expect to be able to play these other new types of sites anywhere down the road?
Sounds like something for later.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: November 04, 2012, 07:47:40 am »

Playing as a deep fortress could be interesting... especially if it generated as an entirely underground region (i.e. the highest point of the map is still subterranean) and you spawned in a cavern or on a deep road.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: November 04, 2012, 10:28:09 am »

I think that playing as a "deep mountain site" is not planned. It looks like they'll be the dwarven equivalent of human cities. As will the aboveground "hill dwarven sites" be the dwarven equivalent to human farming villages. And if that's the case, the biggest limitation will be the sheer size and population density.

I'm curious to know if we'll be able to link ourselves through underground roads leading to the formation of these "deep sites" on the outskirts of our fortresses.

Do you plan on having underground cities forming themselves semi-independently around your fortress, just like you plan to have aboveground villages being formed on surrounding territory as the game progresses?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: November 04, 2012, 02:21:04 pm »

Wall of questions:

Will we have underground roads built over the cavern floors in this release, or tunnelled out roads?

Does the king live exclusively in a fortress, or elsewhere (i.e. in a deep settlement or hill settlement).

If we're getting underground roads and tunnels, will dwarven merchants arrive through the caverns? If so will they be more proactive in choosing the caverns as their exit?

As we're getting deep settlements, will migrants arrive through the cavern layers or underground tunnels?

If caravans and/or migrants arrive through the cavern layers and tunnels, would they still be able to arrive during sieges on the surface? If we get underground sieges, will there be a differentiation between the levels that are being sieged and the levels not being sieged to allow migrants to arrive some way or other (i.e. by means of a sealed underground road that leads to the next fortress)?

Which cavern layer will dwarf settlements reach down to? If they can reach down to the second or third cavern layer, does that mean they will be able to harvest the resources of that layer (i.e. so we can order Blood Thorns from the caravan)?

If we tunnel down to the HFS and establish a fortress in there, does that mean dwarves will set up deep settlements there as well?

Will other races set up trading outposts around our fortresses as they grow?

You've mentioned that the hill dwarf settlements are close to the mountains, fortresses are in the mountains, and deep settlements are underground connected to the surface through fortresses. What happens when the fortresses - such as player fortresses - are located outside of the mountains? Many players do things like embarking in jungles or in deserts or on remote islands, so in those cases would deep settlements appear around the player fortress? If the settlement is remote, would we be able to get migrants or caravans through the underground in the absence of ships and boats?

With all the new things in worldgen, how is its speed looking? Is it running slower than in 0.34.11?

Commentry:

Personally, I'm expecting the naval release to be coming up along with the tavern release, unless we get taverns in this release which is not too unreasonable (@Toady: With all the nonlethal combat and so on thus far, are we likely to get taverns in the upcoming release?). There is a direct connection between taverns and the navy and colossal bar fights and bandits and pirates, after all. This would require the addition of ports and naval towns, though that might be relatively simple given all that has gone in. Given the movement, however, we may have to wait until armies are properly sorted out.

We'll need and get another UI addition for controlling things that happen in the world. For example, we could have a system to assign a squad of dwarves to work off-site, say, in building a road to the nearest friendly settlement (this was emulated in the 2D version, where on finishing a road out to the map edge, a road would appear beyond the build-able space indicating that the connection had been made). This would mean calling up a world map to design the route. The fortress would need to supply the building materials and logistics (wagon with animals). This would also give more reason to have architects in your fortress, as good architects could be able to estimate the amount of resources and time it would take to build a road, and their presence would speed up construction somewhat.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: November 04, 2012, 02:23:55 pm »

Sounds to me like they're just more hill dwarf towns, but built entirely in the cavern layers. You know, where they're farming underground crops for the booze, syrup, sugar, cloth, and plump helmets the caravans keep trying to sell you. Similarly logging camps harvesting the mushroom trees, and deep mines for all those logs, stones, and metals they love to sell you.

It's not some new fun thing we'll be digging into by accident, it's a new fun thing that will develop and attach to our forts during play, just like the surface hill dwarf sites.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: November 04, 2012, 02:47:22 pm »

Going into the HFS is a player driven decision, so I doubt other forts will do likewise.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: November 04, 2012, 10:02:36 pm »

They're generally discussed as dwarven made, although you can expect them to intersect with the underground horrors and get colonized by goblins and so on.  This goal has been around for a while:

Quote from: dev_single
Bloat172, DEEP SITES, (Future): There should be more interesting sites deep in the mountains, and it should be possible for you to create multi-tile tunnels under mountain ranges with various sites of your making and not of your making on the way.

Quote from: DF Talk
Rainseeker:   Okay, XSI asks: [8]'Dwarven strongholds seem to have tunnels between them, would it be possible to eventually make one of those in fortress mode; probably useful to get migrants and dwarf caravans while being sieged?'
Toady:   I think there's a dev item on that, I don't know if it was called 'deep outposts' or something like that, and I think it originally sprang forth from a suggestion someone posted so there's probably a few posts on it as well. We're definitely for that; the issues that arise are the same issues that always arise when you have off-site sites. How do you connect it up? How does digging commence off map? And the same thing would go to like building an aboveground wall, or aboveground roads and that kind of thing; how do you build that site when your view is restricted to a single fortress? But I think those questions are just a matter of making a good decision about it; I don't think that they're super hard and we're definitely planning to do that, especially because those tunnels are there. The fact that the tunnels are there is one of those things that kind of demands satisfaction in terms of actually being able to do it yourself or getting rid of them. So it's just a matter of ... Right now you can't designate digging on the edge of your map, and if you can designate 'I want to dig there, I want to dig a tunnel' then that's got to be some kind of special requirement or you have to have say five or six miners leave the map and do that digging for you and it's going to tie into a number of things. It's going to tie into having little - like when you become a capital - having outposts outside of your map and sending armies off the map, having those larger populations that we talked about last time; all of it ties in again to that kind of thing so I imagine those questions will start to be answered around that time.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: November 04, 2012, 11:10:44 pm »

Ah I see. I was a bit confused due to the bit about no direct exits to the surface. I took that a bit differently than it was meant to. Haha.

But still thanks for the clarification and thanks Footkerchief for the quotes.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 748