Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3732758 times)

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4275 on: November 11, 2012, 07:33:44 pm »

I would prefer expanded adventurer skills got their very own release cycle, or several.

I can't wait for the day when I can chop down trees and build my own cabin with farm plot out in the woods in adventure mode.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: November 11, 2012, 09:47:38 pm »

Slaves to Armok III: Harvest Moon

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: November 12, 2012, 12:40:09 pm »

Jeremiah Johnson.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: November 12, 2012, 02:37:10 pm »

For some reason that sounds very sinister...

Though, I like the Harvest Moon series... so I would probably enjoy it if DF ever got around to the point where we could just play a small town farmer... the only thing is though I doubt scarecrows will keep the Bronze Colossus out of my garden.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:41:17 pm by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: November 12, 2012, 02:38:40 pm »

For some reason that sounds very sinister...

What do you mean, I can't fertilize my fields with the blood and marrow of my enemies? :D

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: November 12, 2012, 05:46:34 pm »

So as it is, the king is going to just move around from fortress to fortress, without there being a main capitol? This seems to make sense but is there going to be a tag on the king to indicate that he will move around? When other entities have kings, will they move around by default or be settled in one place unless there's a very good reason to move?

The idea here is that dwarves may have a king who will move to a different town if there's adamantine or if there are more +<<+platinum goblets+>>+, while human kings will generally stay in one place.

I've notice someone has put up something on the suggestions forum about island settlements. If we settle on an otherwise uninhabited island, will settlements still spring up around the fortress?

The stage of advancement we're at given the devlogs suggests we'll need ships sooner than later, at least in an abstract form.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: November 12, 2012, 06:07:47 pm »

What are those little purple mound thingies in the new world maps? Some sort of new goblin site?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: November 12, 2012, 08:09:47 pm »

What are those little purple mound thingies in the new world maps? Some sort of new goblin site?
I sorta thought they were  simi;ar to the dwarven spreading. So, smaller villiages. As opposed to regular sites.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: November 12, 2012, 09:34:23 pm »

Will hill-dwarf settlements spring up naturally around our fortresses, or will we send migrants out in the hope they establish colonies for us?

Also, I'm really, really excited for this release! I have a feeling Toady is either going to add improved sieges after this release; or allow adventurers to create their own sites.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

CatParty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: November 13, 2012, 01:10:17 am »

Are there any plans to include water as a factor in fortress survival in a bigger way? Water availability was one of the biggest limiting factors in real human settlement and, despite their preference for booze, I would imagine it would be the same for less established (i.e. not yet able to tap into bore water) dwarven sites. Currently, barring hospitals, there's no real survival problem with settling in the middle of a desert, when it should be a massive challenge.

Perhaps dwarves could get dehydrated at a slow rate, forcing them to take a drink every now and then?
This would also make building a sewer system somewhat useful rather than just a fun little puzzle as it is now.

ag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: November 13, 2012, 01:55:49 am »

Will it be possible to bring a player fortress out of retirement in case you have a new idea or something, like you can with an adventurer, or is the retirement process strictly one-way?

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #4286 on: November 13, 2012, 03:21:20 am »

Are there any plans to include water as a factor in fortress survival in a bigger way? Water availability was one of the biggest limiting factors in real human settlement and, despite their preference for booze, I would imagine it would be the same for less established (i.e. not yet able to tap into bore water) dwarven sites. Currently, barring hospitals, there's no real survival problem with settling in the middle of a desert, when it should be a massive challenge.

Perhaps dwarves could get dehydrated at a slow rate, forcing them to take a drink every now and then?
This would also make building a sewer system somewhat useful rather than just a fun little puzzle as it is now.

I remember Toady mentioning in the past that he thought that the ability to create booze without using water was a bit unrealistic.  Hopefully that means it's on his radar at some point to have booze production require access to water.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: November 13, 2012, 03:31:16 am »

Will it be possible to bring a player fortress out of retirement in case you have a new idea or something, like you can with an adventurer, or is the retirement process strictly one-way?
From this month's report:
Quote from: Toady One
Non-player dwarven sites will likely be our largest challenge so far in the world tour we've been taking of the various critters over the last few months.  They have to be reclaimable by the fortress mode player when they are conquered or fall into ruin, they have to be visitable by adventurers, and they also have to be reasonable in a general sense, fitting into the world as a whole.  In addition, these sites have to align closely enough with player fortresses that a player fortress can turn into one of them when it is retired, which is why we're going ahead with that now.
I.e. player sites will become non-player sites, and will only be reclaimable after a disaster of some sort.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: November 13, 2012, 04:19:38 am »

From this month's report:
Quote from: Toady One
Non-player dwarven sites will likely be our largest challenge so far in the world tour we've been taking of the various critters over the last few months.  They have to be reclaimable by the fortress mode player when they are conquered or fall into ruin, they have to be visitable by adventurers, and they also have to be reasonable in a general sense, fitting into the world as a whole.  In addition, these sites have to align closely enough with player fortresses that a player fortress can turn into one of them when it is retired, which is why we're going ahead with that now.
I.e. player sites will become non-player sites, and will only be reclaimable after a disaster of some sort.
A lot of people (not necessarily here) seem to think that the upcoming release would allow a person to reclaim a non-destroyed fortress as well, thereby enabling adventure mode without forfeiting a fortress, and allowing the claiming of NPC fortresses to bypass initial fortress setup. I imagine a lot of folks will be quite disappointed if that possibility isn't going in yet.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: November 13, 2012, 05:37:02 am »

I remember Toady mentioning in the past that he thought that the ability to create booze without using water was a bit unrealistic.  Hopefully that means it's on his radar at some point to have booze production require access to water.

In directly, more use of water, has been stated. Like with the booze, as mention, but the  farming and cooking overhaul may need different uses of water.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 748