Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735970 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4620 on: December 13, 2012, 09:02:24 am »

if i remember right, toady still has to go back and finish the goblin and elven sites

e:
09/20/2012
With their industries and troll shearing pits most of the way there, I've reached a stopping point for goblins. There's more to be finished up, but it overlaps with dwarves and I'm going to work through the non-player dwarf fortresses first so I have a better chance of unifying what goes on there code-wise. First up though, I'd like to tackle the elves. The main features here'll be multi-tile trees (including roots and properly-sized mushrooms), fruit, flowers, climbing and jumping

i didn't find anything about elves. there's only two devlogs about elven sites though, maybe toady decided to keep these simple
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:08:41 am by Askot Bokbondeler »

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: December 13, 2012, 09:12:48 am »

I'm a little dissapointed with this upcoming release.  I know it goes a long way toward what DF will end up being, so I'm not unhappy that Toady's doing it, it's just that I won't see a lot of the current changes in fortress mode.  I was hoping for improved siege behavior, hill dwarves, and/or the army arc to be implemented in some way.

Oh well, the adventure mode folks will certainly have a lot to see!

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: December 13, 2012, 09:23:31 am »

I'm a little dissapointed with this upcoming release.  I know it goes a long way toward what DF will end up being, so I'm not unhappy that Toady's doing it, it's just that I won't see a lot of the current changes in fortress mode.  I was hoping for improved siege behavior, hill dwarves, and/or the army arc to be implemented in some way.

Oh well, the adventure mode folks will certainly have a lot to see!

Did you check out the latest DF talk?

Quote from: Toady
There's obviously going to be a lot of cool stuff there for adventure mode, and also in dwarf mode. The main thing dwarf mode gets this time around is this world continuation stuff with succession happening and your civilization not just dying out while you're playing, or whatever happens now with your guys walking on the screen and dying of old age, or I think I may have put in the thing where they just don't show up at all anymore, but you'll actually have that. You'll also be getting armies that are real. So, all the things that we're talking about with evil lieutenants and villains and all this stuff in adventure mode also applies to dwarf mode in terms of who's actually going to be showing up; you'll get people showing up with a story and a reason now, instead of just, like, the yearly goblin attack or whatever. Although, you still won't be able to respond, which is the big thing with the hill dwarves and army stuff we'll get to later.

Also, there's trees.   :)  Also the foundation has been laid for all the stuff you want.  Baby steps are good to make sure things work right.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: December 13, 2012, 11:21:05 am »

Oh I understand that.  I read the DF talk transcript.  It's all cool stuff, and the world is going to do more, and keep doing stuff after you start playing.  You'll be able to retire fortresses without them just dying out.

But the actual impact of all this during fortress mode is pretty minimal.  That's all I was saying, I was hoping for some big changes to fortress mode.

On a grander scale, it's a lot of cool stuff, and will all lead to a lot more cool stuff down the line.  It's just that short term, it isn't going to affect how the game plays in fortress mode very much.  I really want to be able to wall off my fortress without feeling like I'm cheating...  I was hoping for the goblins to start breaking walls or tunneling under them, to get some more interesting defense going.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: December 13, 2012, 11:30:08 am »

Ah yes, I see what you mean, I too can't wait for digging and climbing invaders.  Hope climbers stand a chance of making it in the next release.  Trees are pretty exciting though for their aesthetic appeal.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: December 13, 2012, 03:02:01 pm »

But the actual impact of all this during fortress mode is pretty minimal.  That's all I was saying, I was hoping for some big changes to fortress mode.
Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of this happening; This change is something I've been waiting impatiently for over a 4 year period. You're not going to make me ANY less excited for it.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: December 13, 2012, 03:32:46 pm »

That's fine with me.  You be excited as you want, the more, the better.  I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just express my own opinion.

spitss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: December 13, 2012, 06:47:26 pm »

How will religious groups act in future releases, will they exist purely as a passive quest giving entity within a civilisation,  or will they act as a independent faction that actively tries to expand its own influence, eg converting locals, missions to set up new temples , pilgrimages, armed revolts and attempts to establish theocracies.?

Saubauer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: December 13, 2012, 07:06:50 pm »

I don't know if this was asked before, but do you have plans for black markets and prohibited goods?
Like civilizations or sides forbidding selling or even owning specific goods or stuff made out of illegal materials, for whatever reasons.
People would pay high prices, if they could get their hands on it there.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: December 13, 2012, 09:53:43 pm »

I don't know if this was asked before, but do you have plans for black markets and prohibited goods?
Like civilizations or sides forbidding selling or even owning specific goods or stuff made out of illegal materials, for whatever reasons.
People would pay high prices, if they could get their hands on it there.

That might work when the Economy gets updated and fleshed out, certainly paired with the fact that nobles and geography tend to restrict the access of certain goods. It's planned (in a remote, foggy future) that historical figures ask for certain items, specially artifacts and stuff made of exotic materials, so you could pursue the career of a shady travelling merchant.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: December 13, 2012, 10:13:05 pm »

Was there a black market circa 1400s?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: December 13, 2012, 10:25:00 pm »

The black market was invented when the first man told the second man not to take shiny rocks. The third man then offered to sell the second some rocks.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: December 13, 2012, 10:27:06 pm »

I would imagine so. At the very least, there would be merchants who dodge customs purely for tax reasons (more of a grey market, according to Wikipedia.) In the "illegal goods" sense, you'd probably see wartime societies impose rationing on food, iron, horses, and associated black market folks who supply those things to people and organizations who want them anyway.

Note that I speak with no weight of personal knowledge, merely a quick glance at Wikipedia and general understanding of human nature.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: December 13, 2012, 10:47:50 pm »

I would imagine so. At the very least, there would be merchants who dodge customs purely for tax reasons (more of a grey market, according to Wikipedia.) In the "illegal goods" sense, you'd probably see wartime societies impose rationing on food, iron, horses, and associated black market folks who supply those things to people and organizations who want them anyway.

Note that I speak with no weight of personal knowledge, merely a quick glance at Wikipedia and general understanding of human nature.

For some reason this reminds me of the Shady Salesman from a couple of the Harvest Moon games...

I can just imagine being in a city and having a dude from the alley call me over and try to sell me an apple that can cause wounds to heal instantly. The question is does the apple do it or not. In real life, no... but in a fantasy story there's a 50/50 chance he could be telling the truth. The truth being the apple does what he says it does and the lie being that apple could do anything from nothing to turning you into another apple.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: December 13, 2012, 10:54:46 pm »

Particularly if trade embargoes get in. "I've got some real nice magic goblets from the Elves, see? As much Sunberry Wine as you can hold..."
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 748