Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3734627 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4725 on: December 25, 2012, 08:57:01 pm »

Births and deaths and so on have always happened during world generation.  The idea now is that all of these things will be happening throughout the world while your fort is active.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #4726 on: December 25, 2012, 09:32:43 pm »

including female bandits giving birth while killing you, I am sure.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: December 25, 2012, 09:36:58 pm »

including female bandits giving birth while killing you, I am sure.
And then promptly dying of old age.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: December 25, 2012, 10:51:17 pm »

Didn't Toady say Death comes before birth? In theory, she should die of old age before she gives birth.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: December 25, 2012, 11:03:50 pm »

Didn't Toady say Death comes before birth? In theory, she should die of old age before she gives birth.
I think he just meant, which was happening first, coded first, not their order of operation.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: December 26, 2012, 07:05:25 am »

Thanks Otu and Wriggles.

Toady, any news on rope ladders that may potentially have gone in with elven sites and which may further potentially bring them closer to a fortmode implementation?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: December 26, 2012, 08:57:55 am »

Was holidays or something of sort ever planned? Just wondering.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: December 26, 2012, 11:18:57 am »

Will we be seeing Gremlin sites soon? And what of the non-existent plight of elephant men?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: December 26, 2012, 11:26:01 am »

Births and deaths and so on have always happened during world generation.  The idea now is that all of these things will be happening throughout the world while your fort is active.

Thanks for that. There has been this thing going around that worldgen will no longer continue during gameplay, but that doesn't seem to make sense - or was that the accelerated worldgen? What we're getting seems to be a rewrite of all the major things that happen in worldgen.

Will we be seeing Gremlin sites soon? And what of the non-existent plight of elephant men?

Gremlins aren't an entity but you have a point, we don't have sites for animal people or intelligent or semi-intelligent creatures.

Why is only one gremlin available for a region (raws)? Is there a bug that occurs when more than one gremlin appears on the map?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: December 26, 2012, 11:37:26 am »

Maybe I'm wrong (and it's hard to backtrack) but Toady spoke about an adequation of animal men "sites" as soon as he were going to touch the Kobold caves. One of the ideas for this release is to be able to find all the existent historical figures in the worldmap (save a pretty few, like ocean titans and the such), maybe he has something planned for all the unnamed tribes of creatures that tag along, mainly, in the caverns and inside the dungeons.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: December 26, 2012, 11:51:24 am »

Was holidays or something of sort ever planned? Just wondering.
There are a few references to holy days, festivals, and rituals on the old dev page, and to fairs on the current dev page, which should mostly cover the idea of holidays.

Why is only one gremlin available for a region (raws)? Is there a bug that occurs when more than one gremlin appears on the map?
Most likely to keep gremlin-related frustration to a minimum, while still keeping the gremlin-related fun in the game, and to have some sense of mystery for new players about gremlin-related incidents that would be kind of spoiled by an invasion of gremlins. Besides, it's not quite so constrained - in a recent world I've genned, there were almost as many gremlins as there were giant rats.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: December 26, 2012, 12:46:06 pm »

I've had a least two in some forts.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: December 26, 2012, 01:19:20 pm »

I've had a least two in some forts.

OK. I thought the region population was constrained to one - so if you had one gremlin and killed it off, no further gremlins would appear.

On that note, is repopulation of animals planned for this coming release, especially given the world is coming alive.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: December 26, 2012, 05:09:18 pm »

OK. I thought the region population was constrained to one - so if you had one gremlin and killed it off, no further gremlins would appear.
If your fort spans more than one region, you could get one gremlin per region.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: December 26, 2012, 05:15:11 pm »

You probably mean biome; a fort can have multiple biomes, but will only be in one region.
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 748