Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3734157 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4785 on: December 29, 2012, 06:53:45 pm »

You mentioned goblins not eating in one of your replies. Or something like that, it was in the beginning of the post. Anyways, I and some other people are having a minor and not quite off-topic debate about if goblins are given NO_EAT to keep them alive in worldgen or if they're supposed to not eat. Are goblins supposed to eat or not?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: December 29, 2012, 07:07:20 pm »

You mentioned goblins not eating in one of your replies. Or something like that, it was in the beginning of the post. Anyways, I and some other people are having a minor and not quite off-topic debate about if goblins are given NO_EAT to keep them alive in worldgen or if they're supposed to not eat. Are goblins supposed to eat or not?
The cause of this rumor is that Kobold's used to not survive more than 4 years in world gen, untill Toady fixed that bug. Many players then modded kobolds to have NO_EAT as a work around, including I think the Lazy Noob Pack, though the official version had them dieing out.

Goblins were, however, fully intended to have NO_EAT. If you want Toady's authoritative answer instead of mine, however, put your question in lime green.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: December 29, 2012, 07:14:28 pm »

For that matter, has he said if kobolds get the ability to steal food to feed themselves, or do they just get farms now?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4788 on: December 29, 2012, 07:26:11 pm »

I think goblins just preform photosynthesis. Their skin color, yea.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: December 29, 2012, 07:28:01 pm »

But they're grey...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: December 29, 2012, 07:51:57 pm »

More efficient.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: December 29, 2012, 08:10:00 pm »

Quote from: Neonivek
Toady do you mean Goblins don't need to eat in any future update or that Goblins won't need to eat until you can get it working properly?
Quote from: Mephansteras
Toady: Could you clairify a bit on the "Goblins don't need to eat" bit? Just curious how that's going to play out and what the reasoning behind it is (from a world lore perspective). Also, even if goblins don't eat what about any other future carnivorous civs? Wolfmen or the like? Do you see yourself adding in herding-based civilizations to accommodate that? Even in our history we have examples of very successful civilizations that did very little actual farming and mostly just herded animals around. The Mongols are probably the best example of that.

In any future update.  I know a few people were dismissive of our decision and called it a cop out, but we thought about these situations (including the Mongols) and rejected them.  Goblins that herd meat animals are insufficiently scary to us.  Goblins that die exclusively violent deaths in great numbers in a potentially vegetationless wasteland are better, and we want to explore a wider variety of possibilities than humans allow -- humans can be Mongols, because the Mongols were human, and we hope to support some human variety eventually.  There are beak dog considerations, etc., but those aren't fundamental -- wrangling some critters isn't as image-shattering as having large herds of meat animals ranging over grasslands with goblin ranchers.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: December 29, 2012, 08:16:49 pm »

But what's the in-game explanation? It's not like a bug or unfinished feature that can be ignored for now, that's a fully intended thing.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4793 on: December 29, 2012, 08:22:24 pm »

But what's the in-game explanation? It's not like a bug or unfinished feature that can be ignored for now, that's a fully intended thing.
Photosynthesis!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: December 29, 2012, 08:56:10 pm »

I always assume that all cavern plants and NO_EAT critters just absorb the evil that radiates from the planet core. That's why goblins have glowing red eyes. Kobolds have glowing yellow eyes because they feed off evil but they aren't particularly evil.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: December 29, 2012, 08:59:19 pm »

The *Obsidian Curragh* has ceased to float.  Interrupted by ~Physics~.

The Embark has been struck down!

Nethercap would work, no?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: December 29, 2012, 09:51:55 pm »

"Magic"

Conservation of energy is for science nerds, not dwarf fortress.  ;)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: December 29, 2012, 09:55:49 pm »

I have a feeling one day it will be for Dwarf Fortress, for many here ARE science nerds.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: December 29, 2012, 10:45:53 pm »

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science."

A favorite quote of mine, and one I hold in my head whenever doing anything in depth with magic. I'm hoping goblins do get a more official in-game explanation for their lack of eating, though I seem to remember he mentioned something along those lines at some point...

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: December 29, 2012, 11:22:25 pm »

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science."
Great Webcomic.

A favorite quote of mine, and one I hold in my head whenever doing anything in depth with magic. I'm hoping goblins do get a more official in-game explanation for their lack of eating, though I seem to remember he mentioned something along those lines at some point...
You might trying asking about it for DF Talk. However, Toady approach is generally to add cool mechanics, and not worry too much about how the magic works.
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 748