Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735567 times)

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #480 on: March 07, 2012, 07:06:22 pm »

Man, the idea of civ-wide skills is an intriguing one. I wonder what else can work with something like this...

Iron/steel making!
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 07, 2012, 07:14:04 pm »

Actually, this system sounds like a good fit for when/if syndrome cures make it into the game.
So fortress/civ medical knowledge would be the difference between
"That's just Urist's Bone Rot, I've got a tonic for it back in the workshop" vs "Oh Merciful Armok!  Why did his arm just fall off?"
Yeah, this would make awesome addition to medical system. So there would be actually some chance to battle evil rains/mists. Even better if it would randomly generate "cures" from available ingredients, so different plants would actually make some sense.

Iron/steel making!
Yeah, this too.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 07, 2012, 07:15:41 pm »

Is there any chance of seeing the dungeon master seeing a return in the form of a highly skilled immigrant? Possibly one of those guys that went and tamed giant eagles?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 07, 2012, 07:22:06 pm »

i never got what the title dungeon master meant. i mean, i knew what he did in game, but never got his title, i associate dungeons with jails and a dungeon master with a master jailer or something, and would rather call the dungeon master beast master or something

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 07, 2012, 07:33:53 pm »

Is there any chance of seeing the dungeon master seeing a return in the form of a highly skilled immigrant? Possibly one of those guys that went and tamed giant eagles?

I, personally, have already seen some fairly skilled animal trainers migrating. I'm going to say that anyone who has tamed animals in worldgen will probably be able to tame a few exotics.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 07, 2012, 07:36:28 pm »

i never got what the title dungeon master meant. i mean, i knew what he did in game, but never got his title, i associate dungeons with jails and a dungeon master with a master jailer or something, and would rather call the dungeon master beast master or something

Dungeons can also be associated with great beasties to fight or be eaten by.

EDIT: Wow, I don't remember these two posts being quite so close together.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 07:46:02 pm by Putnam »

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 07, 2012, 07:45:10 pm »

But now who will wear all my fabulous cloaks?

Should make people with animal trainer skill have the need to wear lots of cloaks

Absolutely.  Training exotic animals requires extra layers of protection from teeth and claws and horrifying syndromes, and being able to swirl the cloak to misdirect and confuse the creature to be trained is a basic move--so important that it is vital to wear multiple auxiliary cloaks, just in case of a failure in the primaries and secondaries.

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 07, 2012, 09:07:15 pm »

Although unless people have seen otherwise, I think they probably don't come up in world gen, because they never profane temples.  They will come up through conversions etc. later.  Child vampires created in forts (by your evil management antics most likely) can still be accused by witnesses as it stands, and I haven't done anything to block their creation.

The problem with this is that if anyone EVER accuses a child of a murder, you are 100% assured that they are a vampire, as they are never wrongly accused.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 07, 2012, 09:31:27 pm »

Vampires are going to be pretty obvious for a while; from what I understand that's not the easiest way to identify them.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 07, 2012, 10:17:56 pm »

Well the new system is nice. Losing another noble position is a bit of a sad thing, though. He could be kept around to study caged [PET_EXOTIC] beasts and teach animal handlers. But I suppose really at this point we'd just be doing things to justify his existence, there's no real reason that any animal handler shouldn't be able to do that.

In the game Dungeons and Dragons, a "dungeon" is any subterranean area filled with adversaries (generally monstrous in nature) and the "Dungeon Master" is the player who controls those monsters. That was what I assumed the title's origin was.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 07, 2012, 10:19:17 pm »

How do civs gain familiarity with a given creature? Is it a guaranteed thing that if the creature is nearby and PET/PET_EXOTIC, then it will be tamed, or is it a chance/probability thing, or does it rely on historical figures to take a hand in the process?

Will Fort knowledge flow back to the civ in some way? Such that a fort that manages to tame a dragon will be able to impart some measure of knowledge back to the civ, so that if a subsequent fort also catches a dragon it will be easier to tame.

How does this alter the PET_EXOTIC tag? Is it obsolete, or does it signify a creature more difficult to domesticate than another? Speaking of, are some creatures more difficult to tame than others? I imagine if a civ has roughly equal numbers of wild dogs and, say, honey badgers in the area, the dogs would be more readily domesticated. Not that I pretend to any knowledge of what makes a creature easy/difficult to domesticate.

RE: DM disappearance, I'm not that sad. Sure, his idiosyncrasies were cool and all, but I'd rather dorfs be able to figure things out for themselves instead of relying on arbitrary nobles to teach/unlock things. It might be cool to have a Beast Master type noble similar in function to the Chief Medical Dwarf, where the Beast Master would be the guy who takes first crack at the more dangerous animals (thus ensuring that your most talented trainer is on the most valuable job,) but that kind of functionality shouldn't be associated with a random migrant.

I'm halfway tempted to ask if the DM getting the axe is a portent of things to come for the other absent/useless nobles (*coughPHILOSOPHERcough*,) but I suspect that's a bit farther afield than the near term releases.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #491 on: March 07, 2012, 10:27:04 pm »

I like the concept of knowledge flowing back to civs- it increases the whole massively singleplayer effect.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 07, 2012, 11:20:02 pm »

I'm a little sad to see the Dungeon Master go, s/he was a charactor of great mystery. They added quite a lot of flavour to DF and created an aweful lot of DF community lore.
That said I'm not sad to see the training system revamped, it was terrible before and this really looks like a massive improvement.

I do hope we get the Dungeon Master back, which I assume, would be around the Army Arch when we start getting prisoners to torture. The idea of a half-naked dwarf running around my lower fortress wearing a cloak and a gimp mask has always appealed to me rather worryingly much.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 07, 2012, 11:23:37 pm »

I'm halfway tempted to ask if the DM getting the axe is a portent of things to come for the other absent/useless nobles (*coughPHILOSOPHERcough*,) but I suspect that's a bit farther afield than the near term releases.

Nah man, the Philosopher is a cool dude. It's the dozen or so guild nobles and the like that we used to have to dump in lava.

I'd like to see the philosopher back in the game frankly, even if he just wanders around and does nothing.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 07, 2012, 11:35:56 pm »

I rather hope this new development will also get that "you can't trade tamed animals" bug fixed. Would be a logical accompaniment, and would be pretty sweet to start a fort just to tame, breed, and export rare arctic foxes or whatever, then knock about in adventure mode and see them everywhere.

Which reminds me!

Will you be able to bring the exotic animals your civ is familiar with on embark, and/or request them through the caravan? I could see that embark menu getting rather cluttered if that's true, and it would kinda obsolete the COMMON_DOMESTIC tag, but at the same time it would be lame to have a jungle dwarf civ that has tamed the tigers, but not be able to bring/buy/request any.

How does this affect the Elves? Huge varieties of exotic animals are kinda their thing, but it sounds like a reasonably large civ could have access to as many or more exotic animals than a smaller/more restricted group of Elves.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 748