Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735502 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #495 on: March 07, 2012, 11:38:25 pm »

Elves have [USE_ANY_PET_RACE], which means that EVERY race from EVERY biome they're in will always be tamed by them. Unless you've had over 1000 years of history on a fairly large world, you're probably not going to have as many exotic tamed pets as the elves.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 07, 2012, 11:39:05 pm »

I'd like to see the philosopher back in the game frankly, even if he just wanders around and does nothing.
perhaps he could train up noble children to take up their progenitor's roles. he could once you appinted a baron, and train up the baron's children in some usefull skills that have yet to come up, like diplomacy and fortress management. he could also write books, and these books could be the way fortress level knowledge would be raised to civ level knowledge

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 07, 2012, 11:45:35 pm »

I'd like to see the philosopher back in the game frankly, even if he just wanders around and does nothing.
perhaps he could train up noble children to take up their progenitor's roles. he could once you appinted a baron, and train up the baron's children in some usefull skills that have yet to come up, like diplomacy and fortress management. he could also write books, and these books could be the way fortress level knowledge would be raised to civ level knowledge
Would presumably also have a substantial effect on the prestige of your fortress and nobles.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 07, 2012, 11:45:55 pm »

he could also write books, and these books could be the way fortress level knowledge would be raised to civ level knowledge

Oooh, I like that idea a lot. If I weren't a lazy good-for-nothing, I'd go find that Save the Philosopher thread in the suggestions forum and make sure it is mentioned so Toady sees it when he gets around to it.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 07, 2012, 11:53:38 pm »

On the other hand, he could request other books from other writers from time to time once they are produced elsewhere. Or maybe you could just produce many copies of his books and sell them, making a fortress live around your philosopher.
And with the Tavern sub-arc he could give lectures and such, and people would gather from all around the world to debate with him.

Man, I miss his potential.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 08, 2012, 04:22:15 am »

All this talk about books is great, sorry if this has already been asked:

Necromancer secrets are written down in and can be learnt from books.  Will all information or knowledge, including animal taming, be subject to the same mechanic?  Or will only specific skills be spread by pen and paper?

I'd love for this civilization knowledge to be spread physically by giving books or copies of books to diplomats to take back to their own fortress.  Or even from individual to individual within a single fortress.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 08, 2012, 06:09:31 am »

Is the Dungeon Master really gone for good as has been suggested or will he maybe return at a later point?
e.g. Is the current knowledge system temporarily more powerful than intended as a fix for the DM?
DM could still be required for taming monstrous creatures and such. :/
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:04:28 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 08, 2012, 07:03:21 am »

Please, the Dungeon Master didn't make any sense before.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 08, 2012, 07:11:45 am »

Please, the Dungeon Master didn't make any sense before.
No. That is true.

But it is just a cool title. :)

DM need not be identical in features as before you know.
DM could be an earned (say from taming a dragon or being a legendary trainer) title the player has no influence over assigning. 
Could be title of animal trainers guildmaster, whatever guilds will be.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 08, 2012, 07:29:15 am »

Yes, but they shouldn't gain any special powers for being a Dungeon Master. The opposite would be cool, though - being elevated to Dungeon Master for training a creature that civilization never trained before.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 08, 2012, 09:18:23 am »

Yes, but they shouldn't gain any special powers for being a Dungeon Master. The opposite would be cool, though - being elevated to Dungeon Master for training a creature that civilization never trained before.

Year 1: Urist1 tamed dog. Urist1 was elevated to position of Dungeon Master. Urist2 tamed groundhog. Urist2 was elevated to position of Dungeon Master. (...)

Urist1, Urist2, ..., Uristx mandated construction of slade beds!
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 08, 2012, 10:21:23 am »

I could see a Dungeon Master receiving some additional responsibilities, though.  Imagine sending your Dungeon Master as an envoy to a far-off civilization to learn their training techniques for exotics, or to purchase tame creatures . . . sort of like a merchant/diplomat, but badass.

Or maybe you send him on expeditions off the map or out of your biome to trap wild exotics himself: "Your Dungeon Master has returned from the wilderness, bringing two caged elephants, three tigers, and a rhinoceros."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 08, 2012, 10:53:30 am »

I'll miss the DM.  That strange strange little..nutcase.  But I miss the Philosopher and the guild nobles too.  Oh well could just mod them back in, even if they don't do much but make mandates.

I do like the idea of the DM being made into your trader for animals and taming knowledge though.  Appoint one from your citizens.  Want one with good diplomacy skills and good caretaking and training (so they actually understand what they are looking at) but just like the broker you can appoint one with no skills at all and have an embarrassingly bad story once in awhile about the entire menagerie escaping/starving in transit, or trying to feed a giant tiger to the human civ's prized peacock as a tragically misinformed gesture of peace...  And coming back with nothing, or nothing but a war declaration.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 08, 2012, 10:55:30 am »

I recall the DM being an immigrant somehow...(if true, this suggests the player does not assign him)

A suggestion thread is recommended by now. :)
edit: Ah, there it is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:15:20 am by Areyar »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 08, 2012, 11:30:05 am »

I am not crying over the loss of the Dungeon Master.

I rarely hear people justify him in ways that arn't "He was glitched and that was funny" and "But he was there before".
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 748