Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733289 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5115 on: January 29, 2013, 01:47:54 am »

I think the fact that dwarves already have too many "stops" is a non-issue, as my fortress always have buckloads of idle dwarves.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: January 29, 2013, 02:14:49 am »

Even so, what of younger fortresses? It would crawl at a snail's pace, and not just because of lag.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: January 29, 2013, 02:21:14 am »

Even so, what of younger fortresses? It would crawl at a snail's pace, and not just because of lag.

Well, again, you could combine breaks - if they go to eat, they might check their thirst, and grab a barrel of drink on the way there, and consume them both in one go, then visit the "dirty well" to "powder their nose beard" or whatever phrase makes things more palatable, all in one trip.  If really need be, you could trim off some of the turns it takes to actually finish a meal.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: January 29, 2013, 07:48:16 am »

Toady's adding in armies moving around the world map and sacking specific portions of cities in real time, and here you guys are arguing about wanting poop in the game. Never, never, never.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: January 29, 2013, 08:08:50 am »

Adventure Mode is why I don't want poop in this game.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: January 29, 2013, 09:13:44 am »

We don't really need toilets in this game.

Because it doesn't bring anything new or interesting gamewise.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: January 29, 2013, 09:33:01 am »

I think the fact that dwarves already have too many "stops" is a non-issue, as my fortress always have buckloads of idle dwarves.

For the peon dwarves that is not a big issue. But what if your manager or legendary+5 Weaponsmith decides to take a break for three months. Then it becomes a bit more annoying.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: January 29, 2013, 09:47:22 am »

I'm interested in the sewer management aspect of it. That, and sewage contamination. I don't mind if the details are kept out.

Toady's adding in armies moving around the world map and sacking specific portions of cities in real time, and here you guys are arguing about wanting poop in the game. Never, never, never.

This is a good point why it isn't being added now, but I don't see why we shouldn't talk about a possible future feature.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: January 29, 2013, 11:10:50 am »

+1

I like micro-management, but it's too much.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: January 29, 2013, 11:16:09 am »

Sewers are not about micromanagement! If you set up an indoor waterfall system it should be easy to add sewers to it! Just have the sewers communicate with the dug out passageways used to let the water exit the map and voilą!
It would be very interesting if the lack of sewer system brought miasma and illness. I would love to see my fort crumble to an end because I created a crappy (bad pun is bad) sewer system that got clogged.
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: January 29, 2013, 11:52:57 am »

Sewers are not about micromanagement! If you set up an indoor waterfall system it should be easy to add sewers to it! Just have the sewers communicate with the dug out passageways used to let the water exit the map and voilą!
It would be very interesting if the lack of sewer system brought miasma and illness. I would love to see my fort crumble to an end because I created a crappy (bad pun is bad) sewer system that got clogged.

Yeah. People act like we are asking to wipe out each dwarf's ass.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: January 29, 2013, 12:38:51 pm »

Now, there's certainly good reason to have trepidation about the subject, and I can respect an argument where someone just honestly says "I don't want toilets because I think it's gross and/or immature," but statements like "this doesn't bring anything new or interesting," is being either intellectually dishonest or willfully blind.

People just said what it would do that is new and what it would add: Verisimilitude, sewer systems and the possible logistic challenges that come with them, fertilizers, and a source of lant/ammonia, whose value as a chemical has made it invaluable since nearly the dawn of civilization.  (Used for fertilizers, dying, cleaning agent, chemistry, and one of the primary components of virtually all explosives known to man, including gunpowder.)

If you can't think of any ways that any of those things change the game, you're just trying not to think about it at all.

(And while we're at it, let's take vomiting out of the game - that "doesn't add anything", right? (It's not like a consequence for subterranean isolationism is a "new" thing, right?) Or is the standard simply that once something is in, it becomes dogma, but if it has yet to go in, and it's not what you want, it's "not adding anything new"?)

It's fine to be opposed to something, but at least be honest about your reasons.

What makes this topic so frustrating is that any time someone tries to have a mature conversation about what it means and what it can do, there will always be a vociferously vocal minority of people who declare that there is absolutely NO way to have a mature conversation about the topic... and then simply treating all reasoning to the contrary as nonexistant.

You don't get points for prophecies you make self-fulfilling by going out of your way to sabotage anything that goes against your predictions.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: January 29, 2013, 01:19:36 pm »

There's already sewer management, if you want to create an automated system for clearning contaminants off of dwarves and pets. You've got to set little channels that everyone walks through. put bars, have water flow through them at exactly the right height, and then dispose of that water.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: January 29, 2013, 02:37:57 pm »

Thank you Kohaku, I agree completely with what you said.

It obviously adds a lot to the game.  To say it's gross/immature, well, it's also something that happens in real life.  Civilizations have to build around this very real fact. 
It's been in other games, such as the sims, and doesn't seem to have ruined that game.
Just because the game doesn't have it now doesn't mean it could never work.  Dwarves probably shouldn't take months to eat or drink anyway, so this could be wrapped all together.

I'm not saying such a change should get any priority.  Just that there are valid reasons why it would be a good addition at some point.  And saying "ewww, poop" isn't exactly a valid argument against it, in a game featuring pus, vomit, guts hanging out, and whatever other disgusting things you can think of.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: January 29, 2013, 04:37:18 pm »

It's been in other games, such as the sims, and doesn't seem to have ruined that game.

Personally, it's one of the main reason I stopped playing the Sims.
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 748