Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3734304 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5160 on: January 31, 2013, 10:34:24 pm »

Great FotF reply. This release just keeps getting better and better!

As to your question, Hugo, I'd imagine that being unable to perform behaviors associated with them will have next to no effect on entities living in isolation, besides that they simply can't perform those tasks.

But goblins, being very dependent on conquering others for slaves / leaders, probably would have to behave differently in isolation. Maybe eventually they die out from murdering each other.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: February 01, 2013, 12:23:00 am »

I guess this is a somewhat abstract question, but with the personality/AI work it is somewhat relevant:
Right now the fundamental way players interact with their dorfs is by assigning jobs and ordering stuff built, just like in older versions.  Will this ever change, for example dorfs choose professions, or some kind of economy system doles out job assignments?

I would assume the current system is good enough while any alternative would be lots of work, but I'm curious what the goals are for this.

Yes, it is expected that dwarves assume more roles as their personality and the environment gets fleshed out. An actual, working economy could be jointed with religious beliefs, political motives and deep, varied personality issues, which would make the dwarves less "controllable" than they're now, in a gamey sense of the word, but would allow them to be better simulated and more endearing in narrative terms. Also, we certainly don't know which variables and additions to the interface could be added in the near future, but DF will remain steady as a magnificent game.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: February 01, 2013, 01:54:12 am »

Always really exciting to see that there's another FotF reply :) love reading them, makes me anticipate the next release even more than I was before, if that's possible.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: February 01, 2013, 05:30:45 am »

The human keeps are so large there's no way for archers to shoot down from their towers. Will they be scaled down, or will the archer code be changed to shoot further downwards?

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: February 01, 2013, 08:09:39 am »

Thanks a lot for the answers, Toady!

1. You mentioned succession stuff in the last FotF, and said heir take up the place of the king instantly. What if the heir is a one year old, do he still get the position? Did you implement/plan to implement a regency mechanic, with an ambitious regent getting claims to the throne, or holding the power until the regent reach a certain age, 12 years old for example.

2. Will Dwarf and Elvens sites have items they usually do, like small breastplates in dwarf sites? Will there be steel items now?

3. Do you plan to do something for the next release about the time the undead raise? Some people think it's not so much, but it's basically impossible to reach a necromancer without turning undead or sneaking through. In that subject, do you plan to add melting points so the undead can be destroyed by lava? Do you plan to nerf down player characters that turn vampire/necromancer, because those are unstoppable killing machines right now.

4. Don't remember if you answered this already, but do you plan to do something in this release about the dwarf/human issue with nature and critters? I mean, it's love it or kill it. Every animal runs from a dwarf or tries to kill it. Will we have more "shy" animals who usually run form you and some others that don't mind you passing as long as you don't go on a killing spree or start shouting.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: February 01, 2013, 08:14:41 am »

The human keeps are so large there's no way for archers to shoot down from their towers. Will they be scaled down, or will the archer code be changed to shoot further downwards?

Didnt toady install arking behavior for projectiles? If so you would have just to shot in the generall direction ... i amnot sure if the AI got an update though.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5166 on: February 01, 2013, 09:00:01 am »

Is anyone compiling list of changes upcomming for next release?

Becaise I totally forgot about sneaking and vision range in adventurer mode. What other "suprises" are there?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: February 01, 2013, 09:39:23 am »

Oh man, it's gonna be a while. Could be another eleven-month release before we're finished.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: February 01, 2013, 09:51:38 am »

Yeah, it looks like Toady will be missing his own prevision by at least some months.

zwei:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vgy5h5tmWFZLqCJMYd1cbGG67SUCSIn30Y--DNymzdg/edit
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:55:07 am by thvaz »

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: February 01, 2013, 10:04:48 am »

Will we have creatures nesting in trees?

To clarify: Would we have to worry about a pair of giant eagles nesting in the tree above the fort and carrying dwarves off to feed to their young?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: February 01, 2013, 11:13:44 am »

Will there be holidays and festivities in future releases? Like will their be traditions and such like dancing or feasintg, etc? and will they change over time or revert to the more traditional forms at points due to conflicting cultures? and will your adventurer be able to partake in these events?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: February 01, 2013, 11:27:37 am »

Will we have creatures nesting in trees?

To clarify: Would we have to worry about a pair of giant eagles nesting in the tree above the fort and carrying dwarves off to feed to their young?
Will there be holidays and festivities in future releases? Like will their be traditions and such like dancing or feasintg, etc? and will they change over time or revert to the more traditional forms at points due to conflicting cultures? and will your adventurer be able to partake in these events?
These are both questions that fall under the "Could be seen in the game, but not in this release, and no set timeline for their implementation." I think the second one is closer to implementation than the first, and possibly something that comes in with inns and taverns -- but I am not holding my breath.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

EternallySlaying

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: February 01, 2013, 11:44:13 am »

1)Since in the future we will be able to retire fortresses, will we be able to affect the trade with our fortresses and adventures? As an adventurer, clearing an influential gang might, for instance, make the path to a retired fortress safer, allowing for cheaper trade. Also will this fortress's resources and exports be considered for trade for other player fortresses in the same kingdom; or as an adventurer, find in markets things that these fortresses produced when not necessarily at the fortress they were produced?

2)Once Guilds are introduced, can we expect these groups to declare things on a macro scale? If there is a mining guild in the capital, and members migrate to the current fort and induct all your miners, and they declare they must have ☼iron ring☼ and -gabbro mug-, will you be expected to uphold this declaration in other forts?
Scamps could !!code!! this himself!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: February 01, 2013, 12:54:00 pm »

Didnt toady install arking behavior for projectiles? If so you would have just to shot in the generall direction ... i amnot sure if the AI got an update though.
Projectiles can fly in arcs now, but the AI doesn't aim accordingly, so they still have their little sphere of attack. Since that issue is on Toady's list anyways, human fortresses will probably stay as huge as they are.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: February 01, 2013, 05:10:13 pm »

YAY! Update!

For a limited legends screen, will it be something you need to talk to caravans for,with each caravan providing different info, thereby also promoting trade or will there be something else? i think it might be cool to see my dwarves talking to caravan guards and learning that say, a king has a new lover or something. you know, gossip.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 748