Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733987 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5175 on: February 01, 2013, 05:13:30 pm »

Will we have creatures nesting in trees?

To clarify: Would we have to worry about a pair of giant eagles nesting in the tree above the fort and carrying dwarves off to feed to their young?

That would be awesome. If weaponized, you'd have the coolest guard dogs, and maybe even dump the old bones on the heads of invaders every once in a while XD

Then again, Giant Eagles received a huge downgrade when all the new giant/men animals were introduced. Giant Kea though....
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: February 01, 2013, 05:15:25 pm »

1)Since in the future we will be able to retire fortresses, will we be able to affect the trade with our fortresses and adventures? As an adventurer, clearing an influential gang might, for instance, make the path to a retired fortress safer, allowing for cheaper trade. Also will this fortress's resources and exports be considered for trade for other player fortresses in the same kingdom; or as an adventurer, find in markets things that these fortresses produced when not necessarily at the fortress they were produced?

2)Once Guilds are introduced, can we expect these groups to declare things on a macro scale? If there is a mining guild in the capital, and members migrate to the current fort and induct all your miners, and they declare they must have ☼iron ring☼ and -gabbro mug-, will you be expected to uphold this declaration in other forts?

1) Right now caravans are still abstract, as far as I remember. The only moving stuff around the world are small goblin armies, bandits, lovers and a few megabeasts or other surprising creatures that create ruckus around. Being that for now, they'll ignore hostile obstacles in their routes; however, Toady has said that there will be certain issues if your neighboring trading partners are wiped out or become hostile, so maybe that could block the expected, abstracted caravan movement.

2) There's no timeline or framework for guilds right now, so any answer given by anyone would be, at best, a wishful thinking.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5177 on: February 01, 2013, 05:21:53 pm »

So we have a future of the fortress reply and a monthly report in the same day.  Excellent!

Will we be seeing the return of the Royal Guard anytime soon in an upcoming release and if so, what do you see them doing?

Royal Guard were a much-talked-about feature of versions of Dwarf Fortress before DF2010, and in DF2010 were a squad lead by the hammerer (I think?) who were intended to defend various nobles. I'm wondering whether any interesting changes have happened with the movement of nobles and changes to the system of positions.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: February 01, 2013, 05:36:58 pm »

So we have a future of the fortress reply and a monthly report in the same day.  Excellent!

Will we be seeing the return of the Royal Guard anytime soon in an upcoming release and if so, what do you see them doing?

They didnt function well, and will probably be seeing a return, eventually. But the three discussed avenues of where to go from here, doesnt seem to nessicate having royal guards.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: February 01, 2013, 05:40:08 pm »

We used to have devlogs every day. I miss those times.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #5180 on: February 01, 2013, 06:44:07 pm »

But oh, man, it's gonna be a long while before the release. Ain't no way it's coming out this month, probably not in March neither.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: February 01, 2013, 07:41:48 pm »

Asked a question here, but never mind that. I'm so very excited about the next release. I think when it comes out, after failing my first fortress, I'll go into the legends mode and write a fanfic about the world I was in, looking for the important figures and such. It sounds like there'll be more interesting stuff to discuss now. I came up with this idea earlier, but decided to wait for this release.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:56:47 pm by Whatsifsowhatsit »

nekronuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: February 01, 2013, 08:13:33 pm »

1. With all these changes, will we get the ability to tell an outpost liaison to relay information to the mountainhomes? Mainly about the number of migrants. Things like- Lots of work: could bring in larger migrant waves while 'In Danger' would restrict the number of dwarves, or send more militia minded dwarves/adventurers.

2. If we retire a fort, and visit it as an adventurer, then retire that adventurer there, could we in theory populate a fortress with superdwarves?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: February 01, 2013, 08:30:14 pm »

2. If we retire a fort, and visit it as an adventurer, then retire that adventurer there, could we in theory populate a fortress with superdwarves?

You can kinda-sorta do this already, especially if your civ has a very small pool of historical figures. Just retire lots of high-skill adventurers in a site owned by the civ, then create a fortress under it's name somewhere in the world. Your adventurers have the same chance to show up as migrants as any other historical figure, so you will eventually see some immigrate there. Maybe not an especially high concentration, but you'll see a few.

However, in the next version I almost guarantee that what you are suggesting will work in some manner; if we can retire forts as permanent sites under the supervision of the parent civ, then we can retire adventurers there. If the adventurers remain as residents there indefinitely, then they should still be there if you reclaim/take back control of the fortress. Whether or not they are dwarves will make the biggest difference: if they are not dwarves, they will not be a proper member of the fortress population and you will not normally be able to give them orders. Unless Toady accounts for multi-race fortress populations this version, which I haven't heard anything about yet.

Toady, if you could clarify: since retired adventurers become members of the civilization they retire in and are historical figures, does that mean they have a chance to be paired off to a marriage partner, move to their partner's town (or their partner to theirs) and raise children, just like any other historical figure?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5184 on: February 01, 2013, 10:23:36 pm »

To clarify: Would we have to worry about a pair of giant eagles nesting in the tree above the fort and carrying dwarves off to feed to their young?

That would be awesome. If weaponized, you'd have the coolest guard dogs, and maybe even dump the old bones on the heads of invaders every once in a while XD

Then again, Giant Eagles received a huge downgrade when all the new giant/men animals were introduced. Giant Kea though....

Aren't flying creatures still borked because pathfinding isn't capable of tracking flying through anything other than flood-fill?  (Meaning that tamed flyers forget how to fly because they start pathing like dwarves.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: February 01, 2013, 10:59:12 pm »

You can kinda-sorta do this already, especially if your civ has a very small pool of historical figures. Just retire lots of high-skill adventurers in a site owned by the civ, then create a fortress under it's name somewhere in the world. Your adventurers have the same chance to show up as migrants as any other historical figure, so you will eventually see some immigrate there. Maybe not an especially high concentration, but you'll see a few.

You can also just make an adventurer and murder all the historical figures, then create a series of adventurers that retire into those civs to up the odds if we have actually-on-the-map NPC forts this time.

(Of course, this would be more useful if we could actually train useful skills besides combat in Adventure Mode instead of just being legendary in combat skills, swimming, knapping, and not much else.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5186 on: February 01, 2013, 11:11:10 pm »

1. With all these changes, will we get the ability to tell an outpost liaison to relay information to the mountainhomes? Mainly about the number of migrants. Things like- Lots of work: could bring in larger migrant waves while 'In Danger' would restrict the number of dwarves, or send more militia minded dwarves/adventurers.

I'm pretty sure the first one is something that won't be in this release, it's a feature Toady is willing to implement in one form or another, no timeline. I don't have a quote handy for that one though.

Second one, however,

Quote from: devlog 12-05-13
I also tested out retiring a dwarven adventurer in a retired fort and then unretiring the fort, and it basically worked out -- the adventurer was listed as a soldier without a squad, which I need to fix, and I need to tweak the items they are carrying, but otherwise they were a proper fortress citizen. If you hand your former adventurer an official position in the fort and then retire the fort and then unretire the adventurer, I guess you'd be controlling an official, but you wouldn't have any actual powers, since we don't have anything set up for that yet in adv mode. When I first started the adventure, I was expecting to have to walk from the main dwarven civ out to my retired fortress, but the game just started me in the retired fort.

So yes, you can totally retire dwarven adventurers in your forts, then unretire the fort.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: February 01, 2013, 11:12:47 pm »

You can also just make an adventurer and murder all the historical figures, then create a series of adventurers that retire into those civs to up the odds if we have actually-on-the-map NPC forts this time.

(Of course, this would be more useful if we could actually train useful skills besides combat in Adventure Mode instead of just being legendary in combat skills, swimming, knapping, and not much else.)

I'm kind of shocked to suddenly recognize that the idea of murdering everyone else just to increase the likelihood of better migrants is no longer shoking, (i.e. Before Dwarf Fortress) or even mildly horrifying.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5188 on: February 01, 2013, 11:30:34 pm »

Aren't flying creatures still borked because pathfinding isn't capable of tracking flying through anything other than flood-fill?  (Meaning that tamed flyers forget how to fly because they start pathing like dwarves.)

But this is if there's wild ones nesting in the trees around the fort...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: February 01, 2013, 11:38:41 pm »

Since we are getting a movement/everything else split for speed, and the concept of running starts, are there plans for coding other types of special movements/attacks coming soon for animals/monsters soon?

I.E. A snake that slithers slowly, but can coil and lunge quickly for an instant strike.  Falcons diving.  Crocodiles doing a death roll.  Etc.

(Of course, if we are talking about lunges, it also opens the question of adventurers/bandits leaping out of the shadows in a sudden sneak attack...)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:21:12 am by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 748