Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3732569 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #525 on: March 08, 2012, 08:20:35 pm »

Re people talking about good things for the philosopher, a thread: SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 08, 2012, 08:24:26 pm »

There it is, thank you Quatch.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 08, 2012, 08:59:57 pm »

Are there plans to extend the new training system to other aspects of the game, such as metalworking?

(Not a suggestion, was simply wondering.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 08, 2012, 09:06:15 pm »

"Deteriorating training status and reversion to a wild state" sounds kind of ominous.  Does this mean that domestication is going to wear off after a while?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 08, 2012, 09:07:52 pm »

Are there plans to extend the new training system to other aspects of the game, such as metalworking?

(Not a suggestion, was simply wondering.)

In the short-term? Not very likely, barring a surprise.

In the long-term? Very likely.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 08, 2012, 10:04:51 pm »

"Deteriorating training status and reversion to a wild state" sounds kind of ominous.  Does this mean that domestication is going to wear off after a while?

I must add : If it means that domesticated animals turn back to being untamed after a while, will this be the case after reclaiming an old fortress ? So we could have a succession fortress where hydras were tamed, but the only legendary dresser died, so the hydras were sealed and everyone forgot about them until the fortress collapsed and the reclaim party has to face the newly-freed hydras ?

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 08, 2012, 10:48:32 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
reversion to a wild state
Okay, now thats kind of !!FUN!!. So that tamed dragon at the fort entrance can suddenly go wild and wreak havoc?
All we need is mechanics/traps malfunction and FUN will be everywhere.

At least from a programming point of view, it's a stupid way of approaching things, because those new features inevitably bring bugs themselves. It's a neverending spiral of doom that everybody who has programmed is familiar with.
From programmer's, who is familiar with maintaining several years old, huge codebase, which suffered several partial rewrites already, point of view it perfectly makes sense. Its stupid to waste time on fixing old, broken code - most of the time its faster and more efficient to rewrite the piece from scratch, to match current project practices, APIs and concepts.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:19:28 am by Urist McDepravity »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 09, 2012, 07:04:32 am »

Animal taming/training changes sound cool. Bug vs feature protests because of it are bemusing.

Do you plan any change to the current behaviour of creatures that have killed dwarves prior to being tamed?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 09, 2012, 10:05:11 am »

Animal taming/training changes sound cool. Bug vs feature protests because of it are bemusing.

Do you plan any change to the current behaviour of creatures that have killed dwarves prior to being tamed?

The report for that bug is here.  My guess is that it's very likely to get looked at.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #534 on: March 10, 2012, 12:38:48 am »

is there something like a specific sub-forum for posting real-life data formatted for easy access for toady? like a list of different material properties, or different lists of anatomical specifics for animals?
In a similar vein, since I was tired of mahogany being the same value as tower-cap, I started adding differing material values for wood. Looking up wood I was unfamiliar with brought me here, which appears to have the physical (shear strength and whatnot) properties of most woods - couldn't find saguaro rib, but eh. Cactus. Would you be interested in a formatted list (and/or a raw file with the properties already added) if I made it, Toady? Has anyone else made it and am I wasting my time? I don't know how this works I'm new here or something.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 10, 2012, 04:13:25 am »

The war/hunting jobs need tweaking, and I need to do the reinforcement jobs that the dwarves use to keep reverting animals from flipping out and which enhance their training levels. Almost done, and then we'll move on to the next set of old bugs, whatever they might be. Quite a few to choose from!

I hope Toady isn't done with the new bugs. There are a lot of them that is really breaking the new features. That said, I hope he deals with the old clothes issue.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #536 on: March 10, 2012, 04:18:21 am »

I hope Toady isn't done with the new bugs.

Not at all.  Just wanted to mix it up a bit.  I have a hundred or so new ones I still want to fix, and I'm sure there will be more.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 10, 2012, 05:02:07 am »

is there something like a specific sub-forum for posting real-life data formatted for easy access for toady? like a list of different material properties, or different lists of anatomical specifics for animals?
In a similar vein, since I was tired of mahogany being the same value as tower-cap, I started adding differing material values for wood. Looking up wood I was unfamiliar with brought me here, which appears to have the physical (shear strength and whatnot) properties of most woods - couldn't find saguaro rib, but eh. Cactus. Would you be interested in a formatted list (and/or a raw file with the properties already added) if I made it, Toady? Has anyone else made it and am I wasting my time? I don't know how this works I'm new here or something.

See this mod.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 10, 2012, 06:25:30 am »

Toady do you plan to change the way war/hunting animals are assigned to dwarves?
Right now it is not possible to select what kind of animal the dwarf will get, whether it is War Dog or a War Dragon for example.
Also will dwarves become attached to their war animals like they get attached to items?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:11:40 am by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 10, 2012, 06:49:11 am »

Toady do you plan to change the way war/hunting animals are assigned to dwarves?
Presumably "Yes, but there's no timeline". Although that would be a valid thing for him to do in these current releases.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:39:57 pm by Cruxador »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 748