Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733820 times)

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5490 on: February 28, 2013, 10:04:45 am »

With regard to the question in the last post from Toady:"Is there some planing on a better undead system? I mean, it gets tiring to fight animated hair, hides and such, so what I'm really asking is that if you are thinking into a more "classical" representation of undead, where the pieces that fall don't stay alive and ultimately only smashing the head or decapitation would stop the zombies."

I have to point out, the way it is in DF is the classical representation of undead. With the exception of hair, all stories of undead I heard created before the very recent pop culture versions (last couple of decades)  had undead that were animated by magic, and were virtually indestructible. Mostly there was some kind of logic, ie. they had to have a muscle in the body part to move, but generally animated body parts were the norm. The 'cut off the head or destroy the brain' style undead comes from the much more modern concept of virus outbreak zombies where some kind of vague biological explanation is expected. I miss the old style zombies and am glad that they still exist here if nowhere else, although I don't have a problem with it being scaled back a bit so that some of the more ridiculous cases are reduced.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Flesh Render

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: February 28, 2013, 11:08:00 am »

It would be great to add more furniture into the game.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: February 28, 2013, 11:12:11 am »

Will we see non-Goblin occupations in this release? i.e. Dwarves occupying Goblin fortresses, Humans occupying Elf forests, or Elves occupying Dwarf forts?
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: February 28, 2013, 01:28:43 pm »

How many z levels can a dwarf jump down without getting hurt?
From my experience in adventure mode, from 1 z-level high you just fall and get stunned, but any higher and you'll most probably take damage. Althrough I think I once managed (with much savescumming) to jump down 4 levels with only a few bruises, and I suspect water dampens your fall. Not sure to what extent, but jumping from 2 stories into a pool only got me stunned instead of bruising.
Also I remember there was a thread where migrants were dropped from varying heights for science and doctor training. You may want to look into it if you're interested.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: February 28, 2013, 01:51:05 pm »

From my experience in adventure mode, from 1 z-level high you just fall and get stunned, but any higher and you'll most probably take damage. Althrough I think I once managed (with much savescumming) to jump down 4 levels with only a few bruises, and I suspect water dampens your fall. Not sure to what extent, but jumping from 2 stories into a pool only got me stunned instead of bruising.
Also I remember there was a thread where migrants were dropped from varying heights for science and doctor training. You may want to look into it if you're interested.
Yes, but Toady just posted that jumping dwarves know how to land. So it's likely they can land safely if they jump off a one z-level cliff. Or maybe not, maybe you can only safely jump horizontally.

Now I'm really talking about adventure mode dwarves, since fort mode dwarves probably aren't smart enough to try to jump.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: February 28, 2013, 01:59:19 pm »

Now I'm really talking about adventure mode dwarves, since fort mode dwarves probably aren't smart enough to try to jump.
Seems to me there's room to argue that they might be smart enough to not try to jump. Even with knowledge of how to land, I imagine dwarves who know how to jump will find ways to die horribly from it, player-controlled or otherwise.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: February 28, 2013, 03:26:19 pm »

Thanks for the replies, Toady!

Just wondering for future releases,
When more things are RAW-ified, and I think it was mentioned somewhere that tokens for some aspects of the raws will spread to others, will we ever be able to set up position tokens into the creature files themselves? For example, setting up a noble-like position to wolves or whoever to make the "alpha" wolf with the responsibility of leading the pack, or something along those lines, allowing us to set up a psuedo-entity structure among individual creeatures, without them actually having their own entity?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: February 28, 2013, 04:33:31 pm »

Will we see non-Goblin occupations in this release? i.e. Dwarves occupying Goblin fortresses, Humans occupying Elf forests, or Elves occupying Dwarf forts?

This isn't a direct answer to the question but:

Quote from: Mopsy
Somehow, I have gotten the impression that the goblins will only be occupying human sites in the upcoming version. Is this correct, or can the sites of every major race get occupied by goblins? Does this include the sites of other goblin civs? If a player-made fortress succumbs to dwarf mode invasion or gets occupied post-retirement, will we be able to send an adventurer there to start a rebellion? Will it be possible to re-activate (without a reclaim party) a fortress that was liberated in adventure mode?
I've been testing human sites since I haven't finished all of the stuff I want to do with the other sites, but I don't think there will be any restrictions
Quote from: Neonivek
Toady will ruins be associated with the civilisation or will it be more neutral so that, for example, a completely different entity could do something with it?

Such as other civilisations, creatures, or non-civilised sapient beings

They know which civ made the buildings there, and depending on how the site was lost, there can be an entity site claim on the site, but there's nothing that excludes other entities except for their natural proclivities.  I haven't done post-world-gen reclaims yet, but right now there are those old tags that might stop humans from saying "hey, let's go live in that old dwarf fort!".  At the same time, there can be cross-site conquests in world gen, but that doesn't involve displacing entire populations.  I'd certainly like megabeasts and bandits and so on to take shelter wherever, and have humans from a different civ reclaim another human ruin say, but having races reclaim different races' sites shouldn't be common.  Having dwarves decide to live in the forest for no reason would be bad, unless they have absolutely no other options...  and even then...  death first!  Maybe.

Since the hard part about coding this would be getting the sites occupy-able (and the first quote indicates this is definitely going to happen for this release), and entities are (according to the second quote) able to take over existing ruined sites (assuming the entity preferences match) this seems quite possible.  The only reason this might not happen is because of flavor reasons (Tarn and Zack prefer the idea of elves simply burning cities to the ground and leaving or something), which would almost certainly be a moddable behavior. 

The only real question is if this is going to be tied to the [BABYSNATCHER] entity token, which seems unlikely, since there are already existing entity position tokens relating to conquered sites ([CONQUERED_SITE] in fact) indicating that the "overlord" or other "forced administrator" behaviors are probably going to end up linked in that way, though that isn't 100% guaranteed knowledge. 
where is up?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: February 28, 2013, 05:42:00 pm »

On the topic of dwarves occupying a "ruined" forest retreat being a fate worse than death, wouldn't the making of such a decision be more practically made in-simulation through having the mechanics of building a fortress taking a specified amount of labor, and the value of a given site having a specified amount of benefit?

That is, an existing town with a wall has a defensive bonus of such-and-such for warfare, so if you find an abandoned town, it's easier to build a dwarf fortress from already inside abandoned human walls.  Meanwhile, elven towns have nothing of value to dwarves (since they're built to be in touch with that vile Nature Spirit nonsense) so they'd always prefer to just build their own camp than sit in an elven retreat. 

Having a cultural idea of what "use" a place offers makes sense when we're going beyond just the strictly static concepts of what each race's cultures are like, and have procedurally adaptive societies, since maybe human cultists of some sort of farming deity might like elven retreats, while a human-civ-with-dwarves-and-war-gods-and-technological-bent might say it's still crap. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: February 28, 2013, 06:55:20 pm »

Depends how lucky you're feeling.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: February 28, 2013, 08:29:07 pm »

To pull back up Toady's quote...

I don't remember how falling down on people works currently, but I don't think that part has changed.  There's the new jump command, but it really just turns you into a projectile that knows how to land correctly.  I haven't gotten back to the part where moves and attacks are combined now that the split has happened.  I'm not sure what'll be done exactly when that rolls back around.

That would probably mean 1 tile, 2 with negligible injuries, just like if they had been dropped from a retracting drawbridge.  (Possibly with a bonus save against injuries for landing properly.)

It depends on the total mass of the creature in question, though - I remember having modded creatures that were super-massive that would shatter into a billion pieces from a single-tile drop. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:31:01 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: February 28, 2013, 09:37:09 pm »

Thanks a lot Toady!

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: February 28, 2013, 10:55:00 pm »

I can't wait to make an adventurer that specializes in jumping at people.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:29:25 am by Genoraven »
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: March 01, 2013, 03:45:37 am »

I can't wait to make an adventurer that specializes in jumping at people.
Pfft. Flying races!

Take 5z dive bombs onto THAT ONE BANDIT that killed all of your adventurers.

Flesh Render

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: March 01, 2013, 09:44:36 am »

Toady, will you add a possibility of atacking goblin forts?
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 748