Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3732232 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5835 on: March 30, 2013, 08:54:16 pm »

Does DF use gravity or just everything-follows-decreasing-z-levels?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: March 30, 2013, 09:18:33 pm »

There's a curve to things now, and ramps can launch minecarts, so... well, it's not gravity, but it's a good enough facsimile of it.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: March 30, 2013, 09:38:09 pm »

Doesn't apply to shot archery though. Those still just use strait line motion.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: March 30, 2013, 10:02:46 pm »

By the time this game is finished it will be a life simulator. The game will be sentient, but incoherent due to so many different minds being processed, and eighty times as much alcohol. WE SHALL INEBRIATE OUR COMPUTERS!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: March 30, 2013, 10:24:17 pm »

BUHAHAHAA!
So it will be a super-computer?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: March 30, 2013, 10:33:46 pm »

It would have to be to be able to consume that much +sunshine [25]+

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: March 30, 2013, 10:38:44 pm »

All computers will be biological by the time DF is finished, so its possible. Trying to use alcohol to cool a modern computer would probably be a bad idea.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: March 30, 2013, 11:08:07 pm »

All computers will be biological by the time DF is finished, so its possible. Trying to use alcohol to cool a modern computer would probably be a bad idea.
Still beats air, and if it's strong enough, it's non conductive. So it would work.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: March 30, 2013, 11:15:21 pm »

Old-style moonshine?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: March 30, 2013, 11:16:40 pm »

All we need to do to get organic computers is train mouse brains or something to form processors of selected inputs, train them to develop their thought processes in terms of code as they grow, develop a method of life support for them, and convince toady to convert DF into organic-brain code.

I'm thinking develop them with chloroplasts in tissue on the back of a standard electronic monitor which they provide output to; then they're literally solar-powered, apart from other nutritional needs. The problem is they may have short lifespans especially in the hands of small children and morons, be less than appropriately durable and susceptable to climate change as any organism is so they wouldn't necessarily be appropriate for outdoor use, they'd get both computer viruses that make them go stark raving mad AND organic viruses and bacterial infections, and PETA would fucking murder anyone that used one.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: March 30, 2013, 11:22:09 pm »

All we need to do to get organic computers is train mouse brains or something to form processors of selected inputs, train them to develop their thought processes in terms of code as they grow, develop a method of life support for them, and convince toady to convert DF into organic-brain code.

I'm thinking develop them with chloroplasts in tissue on the back of a standard electronic monitor which they provide output to; then they're literally solar-powered, apart from other nutritional needs. The problem is they may have short lifespans especially in the hands of small children and morons, be less than appropriately durable and susceptable to climate change as any organism is so they wouldn't necessarily be appropriate for outdoor use, they'd get both computer viruses that make them go stark raving mad AND organic viruses and bacterial infections, and PETA would fucking murder anyone that used one.
In other words, it's the most fucking dwarven computer in history.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: March 30, 2013, 11:25:48 pm »

A truely dwarven computer would be dug out of a mountain.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: March 31, 2013, 01:29:38 pm »

is terminal velocity currently implemented or will things comtinue to accelerate until collision when falling?
Yep.

When ToadyOne was adding mine carts he had an infinite acceleration like issue. I dont know if he artificially caps speeds or if there is a derived terminal velocity from physical characteristics.
I did some experimentation on this, and my notes said that it takes one or two ticks (alternating) for any object or creature to fall a tile at full speed. I tested this with BCs, chickens, arrows, and lead minecarts. They all fell at the same speed. I tested it in the arena, so I dont know if this is 100% accurate.
I'm pretty sure that an arrow being dropped and an arrow being fired follow two different rules regarding speed.

So far as I can tell, projectiles use something similar to simple Newtonian projectile physics, neglecting atmospheric effects. That being the case, the timing would be identical for an arrow dropped and an arrow fired, assuming the arrow was, in fact, fired horizontally.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=120502.msg3878036#msg3878036

1. The new projectiles that are capable of parabolic paths do experience constant gravitational acceleration.
2. There is a terminal velocity, but you have to fall very far to get to it.
3. Objects that fall a large distance go faster, and get to such a speed that they can cause serious injuries on (or explode) creatures.

You can't fall far enough in the arena to get valid testing results.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: March 31, 2013, 04:20:47 pm »

You can't fall far enough in the arena to get valid testing results.

Unless, of course, you modify the arena layout.
Or am I missing something crucially important here?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: March 31, 2013, 04:56:10 pm »

[snip]
In other words, it's the most fucking dwarven computer in history.

I had had an idea along similar lines, but using grape vines instead of mice - but I see that using something with a pre-existing brain would greatly accelerate the process of making a bioprocessor, so what we obviously must do is genetically manipulate more and more plant genes into generations of mice, until they are more plant then mouse, and THEN train their brains from seeding to maturity to be computers.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 748