Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3731182 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5880 on: April 02, 2013, 03:33:22 pm »

Can someone catch me up on the sheer quantity of stuff in this release? :P. I mean, new sites, trees, insurgencys, unarmed and what reads like greater controls to the point of deciding how to parry (YES!), tracking (with at least one example beyond the usual senses) and stealth, even Retiring forts, and all the hidden fun stuff we may discover, and i would not be at all surprised if I'm missing several other things!

Here's what I know of that's coming:

- fort retirement - you can now "retire" an active fort and be able to visit it with an adventurer or make another fort elsewhere.
- elf, dwarf and goblin sites - you can finally visit them and slaughter their inhabitants or do other stuff with them
- multi-tile trees - well, self-explanatory, I suppose.
- running, jumping, climbing - basically, Assassin's Creed enters Dwarf Fortress. Only thing is, it's not as easy anymore.
- new combat system - I honestly have trouble with that one...I'd need to be given a combat log to understand it. Or let me play it. (unarmed  combat, movement/combat speed split, reaction moments, parrying, active dodging - wishfully hoping for aimed ranged attacks for sniping and whatnot)
- expanded stealth system - vision arcs, sounds and whatnot. Will be Fun.
- more stuff with historical figures - loyalty cascades (father-son thingy), figures growing up in real-ish-time, couples moving to one another's sites.
- site occupations - mainly by gobs, but other races may follow.
- insurrections - self-explanatory-ish - you gather some warriors/peasants to help you fight out the occupants.
- tracking

(the latest report kinda cues that the release is really close, but that's just my thinking...)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5881 on: April 02, 2013, 04:14:38 pm »

You forgot the whole "actions of the player actually affect the world in meaningful ways" thing :P

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5882 on: April 02, 2013, 04:19:36 pm »

There's a google doc that someone was hosting that has a complete list of changes for this release. You'd have to search this thread to find it.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5883 on: April 02, 2013, 04:27:19 pm »

I'm really hyped for this release! :D Let's hope it arrives in as soon as possible.

Will vision at night be updated with this release? I haven't read anything about it, but thought it seemed logical to update along with sneaking.
If not, when are you planning to do this? Sneaking into a camp at night is a pain right now, seeing as you can't see a campfire or anything from a distance.

Edit:
There's a google doc that someone was hosting that has a complete list of changes for this release. You'd have to search this thread to find it.
Didn't notice this until after I had posted. I'll try to find the list.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:29:16 pm by TheDorf »
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5884 on: April 02, 2013, 06:36:12 pm »

I'm really hyped for this release! :D Let's hope it arrives in as soon as possible.

Will vision at night be updated with this release? I haven't read anything about it, but thought it seemed logical to update along with sneaking.
If not, when are you planning to do this? Sneaking into a camp at night is a pain right now, seeing as you can't see a campfire or anything from a distance.

Edit:
Stealth has gotten a dramatic overhaul.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5885 on: April 02, 2013, 07:24:07 pm »

No need, I have it bookmarked: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vgy5h5tmWFZLqCJMYd1cbGG67SUCSIn30Y--DNymzdg/edit

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5886 on: April 02, 2013, 10:31:29 pm »

Edit:
Stealth has gotten a dramatic overhaul.

I think the problem lies partially in that the things NPCs can see are not the same as what the player can see. Right now, NPCs don't suffer from the "fog of war" and vision impairment that players do during bad weather or at night; even if you have no idea where they are or that they are there, they can see you just fine and once you come within range for them to begin interacting with you (which I think is a circle with the same radius as your vision arc in perfect daytime weather) they will immediately either attack you or run away. But even outside that radius they can prevent you from beginning sneaking if there isn't an obstacle in between you, so right now if a polar bear spots you from thirty tiles away in a blizzard you'd be completely oblivious to it's presence besides that you couldn't sneak or enter fast travel. Until it saunters up and tears your guts out.

It would honestly be GREAT if NPCs either experienced visual impairment in bad weather/night, or if the player could sorta see them outside our vision radius, even as an indistinct block that nearly blends with the background or something.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:33:32 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5887 on: April 03, 2013, 12:19:39 pm »

It would honestly be GREAT if NPCs either experienced visual impairment in bad weather/night, or if the player could sorta see them outside our vision radius, even as an indistinct block that nearly blends with the background or something.

This. Oh my god. This. SO ANGRY that I literally can't ever sneak unless I enable stealth in a town, then NEVER FAST-TRAVEL AND NEVER ALLOW A CREATURE TO SPOT ME. It's just dumb.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5888 on: April 03, 2013, 01:02:12 pm »

Critters in the new version will have vision cones while you're sneaking, so it should be much more reasonable to sneak around now.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5889 on: April 03, 2013, 03:14:10 pm »

I hope that eventually vision will be fixed so we can see for miles like in real life.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5890 on: April 03, 2013, 03:21:52 pm »

Critters in the new version will have vision cones while you're sneaking, so it should be much more reasonable to sneak around now.

Urists McGrylls alike, rejoice!
Myself included.

Also, tracking.

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #5891 on: April 03, 2013, 05:20:31 pm »

I hope that eventually vision will be fixed so we can see for miles like in real life.
A 6ft person, looking over a flat area with no obstructions with perfect visibility can see about 3 1/4 miles.
Assuming a dwarf is 3ft tall, he would be able to see 2 1/5 miles under the same conditions.
Keep in mind that's absolutly perfect conditions.  You are only likely to get about 2/3 of that distance max in real life conditions.
That's all based on the math from here
http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/explain/atmos_refr/horizon.html
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5892 on: April 03, 2013, 08:25:56 pm »

I wonder if there will be complaints about sneaking no longer being a perfect cloaking device.

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5893 on: April 04, 2013, 01:08:00 am »

When is the new release coming out?
¤MASTERWORK¤ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5894 on: April 04, 2013, 01:09:26 am »

When is the new release coming out?
When Toady feels it's ready.

Which is to say, I have no idea.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 748