Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3729798 times)

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5895 on: April 04, 2013, 01:57:48 am »

With the combination of DF2012 animal training and active history, will our civilization be able to capture, tame, and use exotic beasties once we, the player, have provided them with the knowledge to do so?

If the goblins can do it, why not the dwarves too :)
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5896 on: April 04, 2013, 11:51:27 am »

With the combination of DF2012 animal training and active history, will our civilization be able to capture, tame, and use exotic beasties once we, the player, have provided them with the knowledge to do so?

If the goblins can do it, why not the dwarves too :)

Get a roc breeding program going.
Supply your civ with giants birds of war.

BTW, Birds of War sounds like a sweet civ name on its own.

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5897 on: April 04, 2013, 12:36:49 pm »

1. Will there be any way to use the leftovers of metalic / gem /stone other material Forgotten Beast?
1b. Will there be any spesial bonuses from items made from forgotten beast items (including leather)?
2. Whit fortress retirement comming, will there be possible to sett up a fort to lets say export Sliver roots? (and glumprong trees)
3. Orchards, if I got it right, like farm plots for trees, Do Dwarves get access to them? seems it could be good to have a farm for trees and Nether-caps. ;) Will trees get seeds for orchard, or other ways to grow the trees?

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5898 on: April 04, 2013, 01:39:28 pm »

And if the answer is yes, will they be able to use our retired fortress as an outpost for collecting exotic beasties they otherwise would not have access to?

Wishful thinking, I know.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5899 on: April 04, 2013, 02:37:09 pm »

Omo has come, its a bloated blob of fat with tentacles.

One month, two axes dwarves and some processing later,

LE NOUVEL OMO LAVE PLUS BLANC QUE BLANC

French fries to whomever finds whom I just quoted :P
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5900 on: April 04, 2013, 03:26:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I hope that eventually vision will be fixed so we can see for miles like in real life.
A  person, looking over a flat area with no obstructions with perfect visibility can see about .
Assuming a dwarf is  tall, he would be able to see  under the same conditions.
Keep in mind that's absolutly perfect conditions.  You are only likely to get about 2/3 of that distance max in real life conditions.
That's all based on the math from here
http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/explain/atmos_refr/horizon.html

It depends significantly on the altitude at which the Dwarf is standing.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: April 04, 2013, 03:45:58 pm »

1. Will there be any way to use the leftovers of metalic / gem /stone other material Forgotten Beast?
1b. Will there be any spesial bonuses from items made from forgotten beast items (including leather)?
2. Whit fortress retirement comming, will there be possible to sett up a fort to lets say export Sliver roots? (and glumprong trees)
3. Orchards, if I got it right, like farm plots for trees, Do Dwarves get access to them? seems it could be good to have a farm for trees and Nether-caps. ;) Will trees get seeds for orchard, or other ways to grow the trees?

1. Not this release.
1b. Probably a maybde.
2. If not in this release (I haven't heard anything about fixing trade, and that's a pretty big step), probably in a later one.
3. Haven't heard anything, so again, prob not this release.

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: April 04, 2013, 04:20:06 pm »

@BradUffner @Blue Sam3

Yeah dwarves live up in the mountains which gives them an excellent view of the surrounding countryside. But even on a flat plane, the increase in view distance would still be huge compared to what we currently have now. Feels like all our adventurers are almost blind.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: April 04, 2013, 04:27:10 pm »

We won't be getting tree farming this release, unfortunately, but Toady plans to give us deliberate ways to farm trees in fortress mode in the future.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: April 04, 2013, 11:01:43 pm »

Will sliding under enemies be a combat reaction?

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: April 04, 2013, 11:16:32 pm »

Can we power-slide chop at enemies legs?

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: April 05, 2013, 12:41:18 am »

Is Toady planning to make Weapon Quality matter in combat situations? Will we see Multiple-Material items implemented in the future? (I would guess: army arc?) Do you guys think it would make for a good addition? You know, with the combat rewritten and all that.

IRL when choosing a weapon one would consider its overall quality, how good it fits in the hand, its sharpness and weight etc. Material and its density would come second to that IMO.
 I mean of course Iron will always be better choice then copper, but what if it's poorly made and blunt?
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: April 05, 2013, 12:44:06 am »

We won't be getting tree farming this release, unfortunately, but Toady plans to give us deliberate ways to farm trees in fortress mode in the future.
Cannot. Wait. Do want!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: April 05, 2013, 01:18:32 am »

Right now, trees seem fairly gigantic in comparison to most buildings and people. Each seems about 3-6 z levels high, while most human buildings are 1-3. The trunks are 2x2 but people are just 1 tile, making each tree like some kind of great big baobab or sequoia.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: April 05, 2013, 04:19:20 am »

Most average neighborhood trees are at least 3 times the height of a sburban house, let alone a medieval hut.
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 748