Dwarf Fortress > DF General Discussion

Future of the Fortress

<< < (2/2242) > >>

nukularpower:
I know "don't embark on evil areas" is a solution to that.. but, well, is that really an improvement to the last version?  Not being able to use evil areas at all?

Maybe I just suck, but I failed 10/10 embarks on haunted biomes within 10 minutes each, 2 of them within about 2 minutes or less... whats the point of evil biomes existing at all in that case?   Even a full military embark didn't work, cuz as soon as one military dwarf dies, you're screwed.. and the less said of my dog zerg attempt, the better.

I guess that my feeling is that they just reanimate too fast, and too many times.  Everything that dies becoming immortal and hostile doesnt seem sustainable, given how DF works, and assuming that this is how it is meant to be, I guess I just prefer the old evil biomes that were playable, if hard.

Torchy:
Toady, something I'm sure you're aware of is how the Kobolds have been starving to death en masse and mostly extincting very early in worldgen ever since the prior update where worldgen food needs became respected. A lot of people have gotten around this by adding the [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] to them, and because this is the solution you used to avoid the same thing happening with Goblins, I figured its omission from the Kobold raws was an oversight to be fixed in the long update. Now that it's launched, I see the Kobolds once again dying off of starvation - albeit, in 27 or 33 now instead of in 4, but they're still very much gone. I'm betting that the slightly longer survival is an accidental product of how worldgen has changed, and not an intentional attempt to make the Kobs more survivable.

Given how straightforward it is to fix the problem with the [NO_EAT] / [NO_DRINK] tags, the fact that you've clearly been willing to apply that fix before with Goblins, and the near-universality of Kobold doom without it, should we assume there's another reason you haven't made the Kobolds inediate for the time being? If not - and I apologize if this falls into suggestion territory - will the issue be considered a bug to be stamped out in the forthcoming bugfix releases by adding the tags?

I realize self-fixing it is easy, but especially with the newer, much lengthier Worldgen process, it's a pain to generate a world and then realize you forgot to do so and you either have to throw the whole thing out or live with a Koboldless or mostly-Koboldless world, and it would be equally quick to address on your end and be done with it, no?

Thank you for all your hard work, especially over the last eleven months. :) I'll be donating some ☼ when I have some to spare.

NobodyPro:
So I was reading through legends and I came across an abducted child who was reunited with her mother (and then abducted again, turned, worked as a kidnapper and became famous for her murders but that's neither here nor there).

Is the reunion of abductees and their parents a new and heartwarming feature or just a little known one?

Edit: Confirmed to be old by Parker147

darkflagrance:

--- Quote from: Torchy on February 15, 2012, 04:35:34 am ---Toady, something I'm sure you're aware of is how the Kobolds have been starving to death en masse and mostly extincting very early in worldgen ever since the prior update where worldgen food needs became respected. A lot of people have gotten around this by adding the [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] to them, and because this is the solution you used to avoid the same thing happening with Goblins, I figured its omission from the Kobold raws was an oversight to be fixed in the long update. Now that it's launched, I see the Kobolds once again dying off of starvation - albeit, in 27 or 33 now instead of in 4, but they're still very much gone. I'm betting that the slightly longer survival is an accidental product of how worldgen has changed, and not an intentional attempt to make the Kobs more survivable.

Given how straightforward it is to fix the problem with the [NO_EAT] / [NO_DRINK] tags, the fact that you've clearly been willing to apply that fix before with Goblins, and the near-universality of Kobold doom without it, should we assume there's another reason you haven't made the Kobolds inediate for the time being? If not - and I apologize if this falls into suggestion territory - will the issue be considered a bug to be stamped out in the forthcoming bugfix releases by adding the tags?

I realize self-fixing it is easy, but especially with the newer, much lengthier Worldgen process, it's a pain to generate a world and then realize you forgot to do so and you either have to throw the whole thing out or live with a Koboldless or mostly-Koboldless world, and it would be equally quick to address on your end and be done with it, no?

Thank you for all your hard work, especially over the last eleven months. :) I'll be donating some ☼ when I have some to spare.

--- End quote ---

I thought kobolds had been fixed in this version? There are plenty of reports about people getting murdered by kobolds if I recall correctly.

MaskedMiner:

--- Quote from: darkflagrance on February 15, 2012, 05:51:37 am ---
--- Quote from: Torchy on February 15, 2012, 04:35:34 am ---Toady, something I'm sure you're aware of is how the Kobolds have been starving to death en masse and mostly extincting very early in worldgen ever since the prior update where worldgen food needs became respected. A lot of people have gotten around this by adding the [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] to them, and because this is the solution you used to avoid the same thing happening with Goblins, I figured its omission from the Kobold raws was an oversight to be fixed in the long update. Now that it's launched, I see the Kobolds once again dying off of starvation - albeit, in 27 or 33 now instead of in 4, but they're still very much gone. I'm betting that the slightly longer survival is an accidental product of how worldgen has changed, and not an intentional attempt to make the Kobs more survivable.

--- End quote ---

I thought kobolds had been fixed in this version? There are plenty of reports about people getting murdered by kobolds if I recall correctly.

--- End quote ---

Well, like he said, a lot of them seems to starve at year 30 or so, so I guess either all of them don't die out or that they were playing games with less than 30 years generated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version