Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3732468 times)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6285 on: May 06, 2013, 12:07:34 pm »

Oh great Toad, do you plan (I'm guessing you are) to rawitfy the UI text, or employ another mechanic that would allow us to make translations to another languages?
Yes, translations are planned as part of the presentation arc. No timeline, of course.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6286 on: May 06, 2013, 12:33:07 pm »

You know, generally anything to do with the UI has been put on indefinite hold, but frankly it's a little embarrassing how little international support DF offers. It'd be nice, and a great way to increase the audience of potential donators.

yes, it would help increase the amount of donations.
no, its not embarrassing to not care about translations as long as there is an english version. english means there is international support, we live in the 21st century. usually, translations are inferior to the original anyways.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6287 on: May 06, 2013, 12:46:16 pm »

That's mostly the motivation behind my question. I would like to translate it to Spanish (I have the time) and experience translating games, all free for all of course. I know it would help a lot to take a hold in Latin America (and Spain maybe) to make the game more accessible to those that don't have English skills. You won't believe how many times I have seen a good game rejected by somebody that would love to play it simply because the language.

Even if we have to make a ton of corrective work after each release until Toady rawify the UI, I would love to make this game accessible to even more people. It's the only way I feel I can contribute right now, since I can't donate thanks to a strict control over foreigner currency exchange in my country (Venezuela).
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6288 on: May 06, 2013, 01:56:19 pm »

That's mostly the motivation behind my question. I would like to translate it to Spanish (I have the time) and experience translating games, all free for all of course. I know it would help a lot to take a hold in Latin America (and Spain maybe) to make the game more accessible to those that don't have English skills. You won't believe how many times I have seen a good game rejected by somebody that would love to play it simply because the language.

Even if we have to make a ton of corrective work after each release until Toady rawify the UI, I would love to make this game accessible to even more people. It's the only way I feel I can contribute right now, since I can't donate thanks to a strict control over foreigner currency exchange in my country (Venezuela).

Here you go.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6289 on: May 06, 2013, 02:01:33 pm »

you can always just translate everything you see in the game and make a post about it. if toady sees it he might do something. no one should expect toady to go out of his way to comply to any demands without anything backing them up.
apart from that, i highly doubt anyone who cant even speak a little english, while possessing an internet connection, would actually become an active player of this game.

uh, putnam actually ninjad me with a solution, while im just saying i dont think its necessary. ill post anyways...

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6290 on: May 06, 2013, 03:53:28 pm »

you can always just translate everything you see in the game and make a post about it. if toady sees it he might do something. no one should expect toady to go out of his way to comply to any demands without anything backing them up.
apart from that, i highly doubt anyone who cant even speak a little english, while possessing an internet connection, would actually become an active player of this game.

uh, putnam actually ninjad me with a solution, while im just saying i dont think its necessary. ill post anyways...
As Trif said, better translation support is planned. Obviously Toady won't go and translate everything himself. It's quite likely he won't add in fan translations if he has no way to judge their quality. But what he can do is externalize the strings and basic grammar the game uses, allow more grammatical cases and so on in the raws, and allow fans to translate them and distribute them via DFFD. It's quite a project, and won't happen anytime soon, but there is a demand for it. While I would not use a German version, other Germans, or other non-native English speakers, aren't fluent enough in English to play a game of this complexity in English. The German indiegameforum has a thread that's dedicated to getting the Multilangual Dwarf Fortress suggestion to a higher number, for example.

Insolor's utility looks like a good start for unofficial patches, sure. But of course it's not perfect since it's just the text (and in some cases, translation length is fixed, which isn't likely to work well with most languages; not sure in which instances it's used, but even if its in contexts where abbreviations or padding are appropriate, it depends on how well the word can be abbreviated), and not the grammar used to build sentences from fragments.

Core54, TRANSLATION SUPPORT, (Future): Announcements and other interface text needs to come out of the game and be placed in an editable format to support any potential translators, though current font implementations restrict this process at the moment if non-ASCII characters are to be involved.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6291 on: May 06, 2013, 03:58:09 pm »

Knight Otu, those are exactly my points! I wouldn't probably play a Spanish version but I know some of my friends would.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6292 on: May 06, 2013, 05:01:12 pm »

Well, it's the same for French (i could spend a lot of time on it if it was only possible). But the main issue, for me, is the problem of conjugation, tense, and grammar. English is sooooo simple compared to spain, or french, or anything elaborated.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6293 on: May 06, 2013, 06:32:49 pm »

When the stuff in the notes gets finished, is that usually the point of release?

Are we going to have fist fights breaking out when people bump into each other? That has a very high potential for abuse.

If we settle near a city or human settlement, might we see the remains of logging camps and the like?

Are we going to have guard patrols getting lost or dying off in the sewers (without player intervention), so we can come across their remains later? This sometimes happens in RPGs...
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6294 on: May 06, 2013, 06:34:47 pm »

Toady, where/how did you learn to play guitar?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6295 on: May 07, 2013, 08:01:33 am »

Here you go.

The problem with that utility is that, although it allows to change the vocabulary, you can't affect the grammar (I can traslate sword
as espada and steel as acero, but it will read as acero espada instead of espada de acero.)
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6296 on: May 07, 2013, 08:30:18 am »

Yes well that's a practically insurmountable problem given that DF procedurally generates a lot of in game text based on English grammar patterns.  It's conceivable those patterns could be defined in a grammar rules file, but that seems like an awful lot of work.

On topic... latest dev post looks pretty cool.  Moving citizens is gonna add a whole lot to the atmosphere of adventurer mode.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #6297 on: May 07, 2013, 08:53:12 am »

Here you go.

The problem with that utility is that, although it allows to change the vocabulary, you can't affect the grammar (I can traslate sword
as espada and steel as acero, but it will read as acero espada instead of espada de acero.)

It breaks even wirth something as simple as plural, for example, Czech:

One kitten - Jedno kotě.
Two kittens - Dvě koťata.
Five kittens - Pět Koťat.

Basically, there are two forms of plural.

In my opinion, translations are not worth it - things like tutorials for people who are not native english speakers in their own language would be much better spent time, and can be done by community.

In fact, why not put it to wiki and make it big collaborative project?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6298 on: May 07, 2013, 09:11:52 am »

I'm starting to feel the same, translations, at least at this point, are worthless until(if) the UI is sufficiently rawitfied, specially grammar rules.

Something that would help a lot is to have the wiki translated on several languages, this will not only serve as guide, but as a side effect people will learn English while playing and reading the guide.

finka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6299 on: May 07, 2013, 11:40:46 am »

the UI is sufficiently rawitfied
If this is a portmanteau of "rawified" and "WTF", I'm loving it.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 748