Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3732813 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #630 on: March 14, 2012, 08:47:47 am »

First tame exotics, and now clothing bugs. If workshop clutter is next, I'll suspect Toady is just working down my personal wishlist.
I think he's basing his priorities pretty heavily on this poll: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94802.msg2684472
I think that it is quite likely - as he fixed the next bug from this list ("0000231: Body parts from large creatures (bones, meat, leather, tusks, etc) slow workshops down due to clutter").
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #631 on: March 14, 2012, 09:27:54 am »

Quote from: Toady One
So a "masterfully trained" animal will have "masterfull trained" children

Is it the mother or father's training status passed on, or some amalgam of both?

I think the key part to that would be here:

Quote from: Toady One
The word "trained" is somewhat weird that way.  It doesn't refer to how many tricks the animal knows, but more how acclimated it is to dwarven life.

I think "trained" in this case is referring more towards "domestication", except that there is a definition conflict, since "domestic" already means fully domesticated. 

I was using "trained" as thats what toady used to describe it in the sentence. Either way you read it though, the question stands. Where is the inheritance from?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Yobgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 14, 2012, 10:52:30 am »

I guess it's weirder for a tile to flip between two images than it is to flash an N.

No. Absolutely the opposite. If I'm in proper rogue/nethack mode, letters become creatures. But if I'm in a visual sprite mode an N looks *extremely* wrong and jarring.
Flipping between two images keeps the same "mode" engaged, while flipping between an image and a letter makes me want to claw out my eyes.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 14, 2012, 10:55:25 am »

I guess it's weirder for a tile to flip between two images than it is to flash an N.

No. Absolutely the opposite. If I'm in proper rogue/nethack mode, letters become creatures. But if I'm in a visual sprite mode an N looks *extremely* wrong and jarring.
Flipping between two images keeps the same "mode" engaged, while flipping between an image and a letter makes me want to claw out my eyes.

I disagree, but that's what options are for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 14, 2012, 10:55:38 am »

It is sort of why I hope that when full graphical support exists... that the people making the sets have the ability to turn off flashing (possibly just by replacing the sprite period)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 14, 2012, 11:04:59 am »

Any recent plans coming to include the *improved sieges* from the development page?   If I could only add only one thing to dwarf fortress it would be to improve the sieges so the goblins can actually have a chance during mid_game and late_game.
The next seven near term releases are already on the dev page.

But there are a few things on the list that will be used for Improved Sieges whenever it gets done.

Release 2: Schedules ~ I suspect that this we'll be used for when Gobbo or any siegers will go and siegers you. From what I can recall, mediveal sieges happen after planting crops, where the peasant workforce was idle in part.

Release 4: Merchants moving around from place to place during play.  ~ This I'll be will be setting the frame work for Armies to move around the world map during  play. Since one of Toady goal is for Sieges to be drawn from actual populations, and for Adventurers to come across roving armies and or travel with them.

Release 7: Combat move/speed split - Mounted combat rewrite and related changes ~ Obvious, right?

Release 8: Personality and needs rewrite ~ This one major goal, from a question answered from Toady, is to get NPC among the countries reasons to go to war, and for villains to spring up more naturally. (And for inter dwarf fortress criminals!)
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

idgarad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 14, 2012, 11:13:43 am »

When we go to 64 bits I'll have to deal with it.

Yay! 64bit!

So I'll be able to use all 24 gigs of my work comp for worldgen.

..... 24GB? what... why... how... where... when???
that's a bit excessive.

Excessive? My laptop has 16 and two of my desktops have 32. 24GB of ram is meh.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139930 is only $220.00 and that if for ECC. Non-ECC gets even cheaper for desktops.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 14, 2012, 11:19:18 am »

Well, it was in the game back in 40d- it was gutted in 2010 with the Health Care overhaul. It's a bug in the sense the Dungeon Master was a bug- useful functionality, but outdated and long enough out of the game that it's more likely to be replaced by a new feature than really "fixed."

Really? I could swear that animal caretaking's never done anything since I started playing the game (shortly after the 3D update). Maybe I'm wrong.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 14, 2012, 11:31:53 am »

Well, it was in the game back in 40d- it was gutted in 2010 with the Health Care overhaul. It's a bug in the sense the Dungeon Master was a bug- useful functionality, but outdated and long enough out of the game that it's more likely to be replaced by a new feature than really "fixed."

Really? I could swear that animal caretaking's never done anything since I started playing the game (shortly after the 3D update). Maybe I'm wrong.

It was functional in 40d in the sense that dwarves would gain the skill by having injured animals assigned to them.  AFAIK it didn't impact healing rates or anything though.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #639 on: March 14, 2012, 11:32:08 am »

And here I am using 2GB to test high-end industrial software...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 14, 2012, 12:00:06 pm »

Release 2: Schedules ~ I suspect that this we'll be used for when Gobbo or any siegers will go and siegers you. From what I can recall, mediveal sieges happen after planting crops, where the peasant workforce was idle in part.

That makes sense for humans, but not for goblins.  Goblins don't farm.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 14, 2012, 12:26:03 pm »

Bit late, but Raw answerite! Praise the Toad!

Sort of like Watsst's Q, but more general: If a trained creature completely reverts back to a wild state, is it then functionally-identical to a standard wild critter who's never known life in a fortress? If I leave it outside, will it wander around normally and eventually leave the map? Is it marked as no longer being a member of your fort for trap/kill order purposes?

Relatedly, what sort of AI do semi-wild critters use? How do they decide when/at whom/how often they lash out?
(I'm guessing it works similarly to how stray animals start to snap at people when they're feeling crowded -- albeit obviously in a much-shorter time frame -- but I don't really have any evidence to back that hunch up.)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #642 on: March 14, 2012, 01:27:43 pm »

In relation to dwarves replacing old and broken clothing - is there any plan to "incentivise" players to have a functioning clothing industry through, for example, giving negative throughts in Fortress mode to dwarves with worn / broken clothing (or being naked altogether)? In the same thread of thought, do you intend on giving good thoughts to dwarves if their clothes are well-made, or new?

<magmawiki thoughts clothes> google search  leads to http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/23a:Thought - so probably bugfixing clothes will result in return of this thoughts

Looking back in the dev logs, Toady "turned off clothing rot thoughts (until Bug 323 fix)" on 02/12/2008 (3 days before the release of version 0.27.176.38a), where Bug 323 was "[dwarf mode][jobs][equipment] dwarves put their new clothing on over their old damaged clothing, in many many layers" (possibly related to the Dungeon Master wearing a dozen cloaks?).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 14, 2012, 02:02:52 pm »

Will Dwarves in cold biomes want to bundle up with multiple layers of clothing (up to the layering limit, naturally), and Dwarves in hot climates will claim less clothes?

I realize this wouldn't matter once they go underground, but it could be a big feature for anyone wanting to build an above-ground fortress with temperature turned on in extreme climates. I seem to recall, at least a few versions ago last I tried it, that dwarves in very cold climates could be injured by the cold.

If dwarves don't get hurt by extreme biome temperatures, then I wouldn't think there's much need for this feature now. It'd be a tricky thing to implement (if your dwarves strip every time they enter or leave your fortress because the outside has a much different temp than underground, it could be a hassle), and personally I'd just as soon have faster-running forts rather than perfect immersion right now.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 14, 2012, 03:33:06 pm »

hooooorraayyyyyy! Clothing Bug(s) are going to be fixed? I'm doing a little happy dance!  You can't see it, but it's happening right now.  I hereby pledge to hit the Donation page with a vengeance upon the release of this bug fix.

Will Dwarves in cold biomes want to bundle up with multiple layers of clothing (up to the layering limit, naturally), and Dwarves in hot climates will claim less clothes?

I agree, it would be awesome for the civilian dwarves to automatically try to claim clothing appropriate to the climate.

Another thought I've had for a while is that it might be nice to be able to designate a standard "Civilian Uniform" that all of your non-military (and perhaps non-noble) dwarves would attempt to wear.

This might be especially useful for the new Evil environments with caustic/deadly Rain and other such environmental effects.  Perhaps if you're in an area with dangerous rain you might deck out all of your civvies with head-to-toe leather rain slicker gear, cloaks and hoods and all that to help protect them from the burning rain?

Another thought I had is that it would be nice for dwarves to get Happy Thoughts from wearing better quality / more valuable clothing.  I think right now they just get Unhappy Thoughts when they're forced to wear xTatteredx clothing?  Adding happiness for better quality (and perhaps better decorated) clothing would add a gameplay reason for running a solid Clothing industry, and since clothes do wear out eventually you'd need to keep making more over time.  Perhaps Nobles would demand exceptionally fancy clothes with fancy decorations?

anyway, I am super excited about this release! THANKS TOADY!

--nomad_delta
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 748