Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3753302 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6420 on: May 19, 2013, 03:33:36 pm »

Yes.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6421 on: May 19, 2013, 07:30:27 pm »

The long-ago-posted sneaking vids had a hearing interface (little yellow blotches/question marks popping up around where you heard someone walking).

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: May 19, 2013, 08:02:03 pm »

The long-ago-posted sneaking vids had a hearing interface (little yellow blotches/question marks popping up around where you heard someone walking).

And Vampires had a 'bio sense' that worked through walls 'n stuff.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: May 19, 2013, 08:12:30 pm »

Though, have we heard whether certain species (dogs, cats, elves maybe?) are better at hearing than others?

How does vampiric bloodsense interact with fortress mode sneaking- will a dwarf vampire always be aware of enemies trying to sneak up on him?

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6424 on: May 20, 2013, 07:43:27 am »

Give dwarves with a high kill count better social skills so they make more friends.

That way more people get pissed off when they die.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6425 on: May 20, 2013, 08:33:37 am »

I want to see intra-species conflict, or co-operation.  Dwarves in worldgen sometimes declare on civs at the same time, but usually only to kick the dog when its down, not help one another.

I would also like to see the diplomat play a larger role.  Say in setting migrant numbers or something.  Telling him not to encourage immigration would be cool.  Or conversely to try to encourage it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:55:43 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6426 on: May 20, 2013, 08:38:19 am »

That's a crundle without a valid path to us. Run!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're all gonna dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will dwarves ever be able to non-panic when something doesn't have a path to it?

I'm going with "No" on this one, in general, because it is very difficult to determine, at a glance, whether something has absolutely no way of getting to you.  From an immersion standpoint, it just wuldn't make sense to see dwarves actively considering another creature's pathfinding algorithm results in play.

In specific, it may make sense for dwarves to not consider enemies as a threat under certain circumstances.  The classic example is goblin invaders scaring away your ballista operators who are on the fortress side of a fortification, with a locked door, accessible only via a drawbridge inside the fortress, through a trap corridor, that paths through a barracks,........

There may be a time where if a dwarf can see, in their own line of sight, that they are in no danger, that they may not react.  That's not likely to be in the next release.

Toady has stated that there are threat assessment and threat escalation mechanics in the next release.  So some effects that would be considered a partial solution to these issues MAY be in the next release.  I say "may be in" because there will be changes; however, a player may or may not consider it a fix to their favorite/reviled Dorfy behavior.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: May 20, 2013, 08:53:35 am »

A "quick" solution would be to make siege engines operators not to scare if they see enemies trough a fortification, make them scare only if they see them in a "obstacle free" line. However is unknown how many work would actually be involved in such thing, hence the "quick". Implementing a propers "strap a pair" system may even end up being easier.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

toboo123

• Bay Watcher
  • Cries when friends don't like DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: May 20, 2013, 12:53:44 pm »

With the new combat system in, how much will it effect how competent each creature is in combat, will it only make creatures with extra limbs or heads more powerful, or will it change creatures across the board. I ask this because I've been making a sort of VS. mode to be played in arena where you buy units and pit them against each other and I want to know how much I'm gonna need to change things to update it when the new release comes out.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6429 on: May 20, 2013, 01:09:29 pm »

It is kind of ridiculous for them to get scared of creatures smaller than themselves which are standing at the bottom of a hole, and thus obviously have no way to reach them. Seeing a crundle through a stairwell, several dozen feet below, and flipping out gets a little ridiculous.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: May 20, 2013, 01:19:44 pm »

It is kind of ridiculous for them to get scared of creatures smaller than themselves which are standing at the bottom of a hole, and thus obviously have no way to reach them. Seeing a crundle through a stairwell, several dozen feet below, and flipping out gets a little ridiculous.

Could they be 'conditioned' to not being afraid, somewhat similar to 'doesn't care about anything anymore'?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6431 on: May 20, 2013, 03:16:38 pm »

"Well, I was headed down to the butcher's shop with that bear when I saw- gulp- a wild fox! It must have been only a hundred yards away! Naturally I dropped what I was doing and fled for the hills. So, basically, I'm sorry about the mauling."
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6432 on: May 20, 2013, 03:25:39 pm »

There have been countless times when my haulers would run away from a goblin's finger or eyelid.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: May 20, 2013, 04:07:25 pm »

Or a goddamn crippled raccoon.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6434 on: May 21, 2013, 06:04:50 am »

Hi all,

First off, I haven't had time to play DF in almost a year, but I've been keeping up with the devlogs and this thread, and the new update looks awesome!

Second, some context.  I typically like to play generation forts, of the type "you are the last of your civ..." and so I have a couple of questions related to that.  While I fully anticipate either "this hasn't changed" or "no timeline"-type answers, I thought I'd ask anyway since they seem somewhat related to the births/marriages/deaths part of the current development cycle.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

So the questions:
1) Have you (or are you still thinking about or planning to change this release) the seemingly artificial age limit for dwarf marriages in fort mode?  I ask because up through the 0.31 releases, dwarves in fort mode would only get married if they were less than ten years apart (yes, I did a lot of embarking starting with the initial 3D releases to test this once I identified the problem), but marriages generated during world-gen would have spouses with 20-30 year age differences.  I haven't played the 0.34 releases other than to familiarize myself with the new minecart systems when they first came out, so I don't know if it is still the case in that release.  But I do spend far two much time save-scumming during the first few seasons to get the right mix of ages and genders for all of the dwarves to pair off (again, I like generation forts with no new immigrants).  While this is probably a minor nuisance (if that) for most players, it will probably become a far bigger concern depending on the start scenarios (yes, I know those aren't planned for the near-term future, but at some point they will be implemented and Toady will have to think about things like this eventually). 

2) I've always assumed that dwarves only getting one chance at lover/spouse was a feature and enjoyed it on that basis.  Are there any plans to change their behavior in this regard based on their personality and/or the start scenario chosen/assigned (and/or any other factors that may be implemented such as religion)?

And now I'm going to sit back and see if Footkerchief's sentient search engine can point me to the answers to those questions.   :P

Yours,
-Dame de la Licorne

Edit: Fixed typos and clarity.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:01:24 am by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 748