Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3734281 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6450 on: May 22, 2013, 08:30:36 pm »

UristMcJealous bashes Urist Mcbigtestes in the lower body with her bronze hammer, shattering the balls !
The bronze hammer has lodged firmly in the wound !

I totally want to put this in my sig.

Personally, I think that adultery should be left out of dwarf fortress, I don't feel that it would add anything meaningful to the game, and would only give people a reason to dislike it from the outside, the same reason that Toady has stated he won't put in urine and feces to the game.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: May 22, 2013, 08:37:47 pm »

Personally, I think that adultery should be left out of dwarf fortress, I don't feel that it would add anything meaningful to the game, and would only give people a reason to dislike it from the outside, the same reason that Toady has stated he won't put in urine and feces to the game.

What about two dwarves falling asleep in the same bed? Actually, speaking of sleeping...
Will we ever see dwarves sleeping on the job by choice, in replacement of 'lol numbers say sleep now'? Because we all need to sleep most when we're working!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: May 22, 2013, 08:42:55 pm »

Well culture surely superimposed some constraints on human society. There are some societies where having multiple wives (f.e. if Islam influenced) or just plain swapping and swinging is the Norm or atleast not frowned upon. 

Bonobos as an primates also tend to solve social tension with Sex and like to "have fun" with each other.

Also adultery, Wifestealing etc makes good and mayor plot-hooks. take the Nibelung saga or even stuff from the Bible etc. 

Will Smoke, Steam, mist, evil clouds etc. also block line of sight?

Will clothing help with hiding? A red robe on a glacier wont be the best camouflage.

Have weather and climate an influence on tracks? Like rain washing away tracks or conversely tracks in try but not particularly sandy areas staying longer?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 08:45:18 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6453 on: May 22, 2013, 09:03:07 pm »

UristMcJealous bashes Urist Mcbigtestes in the lower body with her bronze hammer, shattering the balls !
The bronze hammer has lodged firmly in the wound !

I totally want to put this in my sig.

I must disagree strongly. For one thing, Dwarf Fortress has far better reasons to be disliked than a common dramatic element. Incredibly detailed gore, for instance. If you aren't mature enough to enjoy the drama of personal relationships, then you certainly wouldn't be able to hand the terror and savagry of combat.

And let's not forget, Dwarf Fortress' denizens already maim and kill each other for such things as cutting down trees. It's absurd to completely remove a much better reason for interpersonal conflict simply because it's offensive (indeed, mildly offensive, all things considered).

It's like suggesting that Counter-Strike remove the presence of knives, because they're potentially deadly if you stab someone with them. The guns are fine.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: May 22, 2013, 09:12:01 pm »

Knives and guns are both weapons.

The most blood and gore can get a game is an M rating, but push relations too far and you get an AO. Not that indie games must bend to the likes of ESERB, but people in general are more uncomfortable with sex than violence.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: May 22, 2013, 09:44:33 pm »

Knives and guns are both weapons.

The most blood and gore can get a game is an M rating, but push relations too far and you get an AO. Not that indie games must bend to the likes of ESERB, but people in general are more uncomfortable with sex than violence.

Sad but true.

That said, I'm still super in favor of adultery (in game, not in general) as a great (and historically accurate) motivation for people to kill each other. It's harder to have all the crazy royal love triangles leading to massive pointless bloody conflicts without some adultery to spice it up (e.g Lancelot vs King Arthur)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: May 22, 2013, 10:37:25 pm »

That said, I'm still super in favor of adultery (in game, not in general) as a great (and historically accurate) motivation for people to kill each other. It's harder to have all the crazy royal love triangles leading to massive pointless bloody conflicts without some adultery to spice it up (e.g Lancelot vs King Arthur)

Psh, love triangles.  Come back when it's a pentagon, at least.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: May 22, 2013, 10:42:03 pm »

I couldn't come up with any bigger love polyhedrons off the top of my head! Or any other love triangles, honestly, but my brain assures me that this is a True History Fact despite not having any citations for this knowledge.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: May 22, 2013, 10:48:58 pm »

Get some Houses and Clans in there, and you get Love Dodecahedrons. Especially once you get the night trolls involved...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: May 23, 2013, 12:01:51 am »

Get some Houses and Clans in there, and you get Love Dodecahedrons. Especially once you get the night trolls involved...
DF is complex enough without adding in three other quadrants of romance.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: May 23, 2013, 12:15:57 am »

DF is complex enough without adding in three other quadrants of romance.
Is that even romance anymore? I think that once it starts to involve clubs and claws that's where you draw the line.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: May 23, 2013, 03:13:31 am »

That's not romance, but Toady already mentioned he intends to involve family feuds and other such intra- and inter-family politics at some point. I'm going to bet adultery will be a thing eventually, when there's nothing better to do or to add another thing for adventurers and overseers to handle, but you know Toady will handle the adultery itself in a PG-rated manner. Even if the things that become of said lecherous curs is more R-rated. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6462 on: May 23, 2013, 03:50:27 am »

By the way, does anyone know if grazing animals will be fixed in the next release?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: May 23, 2013, 05:08:30 am »

A loves B, B loves C, C loves D, D loves E......Z' loves A''....

looks like a lot Moon Patrol, here :)

I don't see why adultery couldn't be in the game.

Not detailled sex (it would be quite ...gruesome), but love already exists in the game with mariage and making children.
Just an abstract love. (X is in love with Y). I don't see why this would be AO.

And a dwarf could have bad thoughts when seeing a loved one with another people.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:42:02 am by Inarius »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: May 23, 2013, 07:15:47 am »

Well "adultery" in the game doesn't have to be strictly sex related. I mean, we could have adultery and left the whole sex part out, just like now we have baby making/spawning without the sex too. That way we could have excellent drama and history hooks without fear of offending people.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 748