Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735719 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6525 on: May 27, 2013, 03:37:52 am »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: May 27, 2013, 03:41:42 am »

I had no point, I just had to throw my pun to the wall and see if it sticks

i don't think it did

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6527 on: May 27, 2013, 04:27:39 am »

How that is going to hurt your abstraction?

Sorry, i didn't understood well, it like this. I suppose then I support this :)
Thank you.
(-English is not my main language, not at all.- Yes, i have an excuse !)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6528 on: May 27, 2013, 05:32:17 am »

I had no point, I just had to throw my pun to the wall and see if it sticks

i don't think it did
Please, leaf the baa-d puns to me.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6529 on: May 27, 2013, 05:42:51 am »

Puns, hell. I thought for a second you said pyrexians; I was all excited for kitchenware golems.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6530 on: May 27, 2013, 06:13:02 am »

Puns, hell. I thought for a second you said pyrexians; I was all excited for kitchenware golems.
If they're not led by these, I'm not interested.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6531 on: May 27, 2013, 07:47:54 am »

If they're not led by these, I'm not interested.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You didn't disqualify those of us who follow MtG... :evil: Φ is available, though I guess ϕ would be clearer.

Anyway, yes, an increase in the available tiles is sorely needed, something that Toady has said as well. I just wouldn't expect it any time soon, sadly.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6532 on: May 27, 2013, 07:50:37 am »

Main goal should be to get rid of tile reuse - many tiles are simply too overused.

Seccond 256 character set/spritesheet would be incredibly helpfull. For example you can pick characters from this set: http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/marxists/admin/charsets/fullset.htm

‡ - metal door
ю - amulet
Ξ - bin
ж - cave wheat
д - coffer

... they all look usefull for something.

Having full unicode support would be even better.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6533 on: May 27, 2013, 08:02:47 am »

Relevant quote from DF Talk 10:
Quote from: Toady One
There's no more tricks in the bags, no more little characters in the bag. And so then you hit that point where you're like 'do you just go over to a tileset at that point? Do you experiment with Unicode stuff? If you add just a new IBM codepage r256 grid characters or whatever ...' If we add another grid of characters that look promising and just stick with that, that's kind of counterproductive in a way, because once you jump up beyond 256 you're free to move about the country at that point and go up to 65'000 or millions or whatever the rewrite entails. At the same time there's something to be said for the ASCII mode of the game, which I like because I can develop it quickly and I don't have to ... Zach and I drawing is not the same as other people drawing ... or maybe the problem is it's the same as other people drawing who aren't artists. And we can't use other people's tilesets without worrying about legal business, and more so not just legal business but ongoing development; if we've got a tileset then are there release delays when we wait for new pictures, or if a person drawing a tileset bails do we try and find somebody that can draw in the same style as they do, or does it become some kind of hellish hybrid of different art styles. It's difficult when we don't have an employee that we can employ for several years, or a person who will stick with the project. People stick with the project, like Baughn's been helping us for quite a long time, but what happens? If Baughn leaves, I do have some trouble with linux and mac support and so on, and other people can help with that, and I'm not sure graphics is the same way where someone can just step in and do the exact same thing, although artists are talented and there's probably someone who can do that, but I don't know if I can count on that or not. Then there's the legal question, I don't know how to do that properly; I have to make sure I can find someone I can trust who isn't going to lift a glyph from Nintendo without me noticing. So there're a lot of questions, it's not completely ruled out, but there're a lot of questions. The other method would be just to add another 256 characters if I don't just go with some Unicode font or something. And in a sense there's a charm at least with the vanilla, of adding just another 256 characters, because it's an extension that's required, but it still sticks within the same kind of poetic form. But there's going to be like seven people that agree with that assessment and a whole crapload of people that are like 'what the hell are you thinking?' So we're kind of there in a sense ... not super pressing at least, not anymore pressing than adding graphics to the game always was with running out of characters to display the information. But it's certainly already hit that wall in several places, and it's only filling it out more as time goes on.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6534 on: May 27, 2013, 08:25:03 am »

Thanks for the quote, Knight Otu. That DF Talk is from some time ago, isn't?
Anyway, if Toady implemented unlimited character support for objects, Toady could still let things sharing symbols exactly as it currently is or just use new symbols for different things, it doesn't need to mean a full time artist doing things.

Anyway, isn't Baughn like vanished? Isn't that the reason that we don't have a  TTF bug fix?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6535 on: May 27, 2013, 08:31:49 am »

Thanks for the quote, Knight Otu. That DF Talk is from some time ago, isn't?
Yeah, October 2010.

Baughn has actually been online in March according to his profile, even if his last post was in October 2012. I'm guessing he's either busy with work or waiting for the next release?
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6536 on: May 27, 2013, 08:57:19 am »

Hmm... I know I just made this suggestion in the Suggestions thread, but how about horizontal and vertical flip attributes? Maybe even add a 90-degree rotation attribute (which only works if the tileset passes a square check)? You could even make the flips random for some naturally-occurring tiles such as grass and trees.

If that was implemented, there would be a lot more spaces opened up in the r256 image, especially since a lot of space is taken up by wall tiles.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #6537 on: May 27, 2013, 09:14:17 am »

Hmm... I know I just made this suggestion in the Suggestions thread, but how about horizontal and vertical flip attributes? Maybe even add a 90-degree rotation attribute (which only works if the tileset passes a square check)? You could even make the flips random for some naturally-occurring tiles such as grass and trees.

If that was implemented, there would be a lot more spaces opened up in the r256 image, especially since a lot of space is taken up by wall tiles.

If we go further, some tiles could be procedurally generated or altered.

All it could take is one-pixel displacement to create fresh look.

Also, I think that some aspects of gui should be completelly divorced from ASCII/Tiles (i.e. minimap)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6538 on: May 27, 2013, 09:45:21 am »

If we go further, some tiles could be procedurally generated or altered.

All it could take is one-pixel displacement to create fresh look.

Also, I think that some aspects of gui should be completelly divorced from ASCII/Tiles (i.e. minimap)

The problem with that is that people who use certain tilesets won't be able to style those tiles.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6539 on: May 27, 2013, 10:08:59 am »

And why not a view "from the ground and from the inside" in aventure mode or in fortress (like in Dungeon keeper) ? But only in ASCII, with giant H moving around when you are playing with hamsters.
THAT would be fun :)
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 748