Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735203 times)

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6540 on: May 27, 2013, 04:22:48 pm »

You didn't read the FGS thread. If it's implemented, it will be as gory as it is now, it will not turn into GTA4: DF edition.
If you're going to chastise me for not being up to speed on your pet project, you probably ought to link to it. And assuming that every mention of the word 'graphics' automatically means what you want it to mean is pretty narrow sighted.

I used to play with tilesets, and isoviewer etc. After a while, they just get in the way.

IMHO, of course.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: May 27, 2013, 04:27:37 pm »

"His pet project" is the meaning of "Full Graphic Support" as understood by the entire community...

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: May 27, 2013, 05:49:06 pm »

How that is going to hurt your abstraction?

Sorry, i didn't understood well, it like this. I suppose then I support this :)
Thank you.
(-English is not my main language, not at all.- Yes, i have an excuse !)
No problem, mate. English is not my first language too, so I understand. I'm sorry if at any moment I was rude.

If you're going to chastise me for not being up to speed on your pet project, you probably ought to link to it.
And yet again you didn't read or pay attention, isn't? Look at my original post, I actually posted a link there that defines Full Graphics Support. Why wouldn't I do it?
Toady, how hard do you think it is to implement the fourth thing the in eternal suggestion voting (Full graphics support) and how high is it in your priority list?
I edited in this post so it becomes more, you know, evident. Be sure not to miss this time, please. Also, as Putnam pointed, this isn't my definition. It is some features defined in a post by Mayday and generally understood as that by the community. I posted the link with the word to avoid confusion. If I would pick some favorites to be implemented first it would be: -A separate symbol for every possible object/creature. -simultaneous view of a few z-levels.

And assuming that every mention of the word 'graphics' automatically means what you want it to mean is pretty narrow sighted.
The definition of full graphics support was in the link. It would avoid this confusion if it was read. If you want a good definition of graphics, here it is:
3. (computing) The pictorial representation and manipulation of data; the process by which a computer displays data.
Meaning: ASCII, Unicode, tilesets, pixels and polygons, anything could be displayed as graphics.

I used to play with tilesets, and isoviewer etc. After a while, they just get in the way.
I'm glad you found something of your preference. However, I must point out, as previous posts discussing FGS make clear, and seeing as your post imply you still didn't understand despite previous posts discussing the subject, FGS is not about tilesets, isoviewer or Third-Person cover-based shooters. Here, have an enlightening quote:

Main goal should be to get rid of tile reuse - many tiles are simply too overused.

Seccond 256 character set/spritesheet would be incredibly helpfull. For example you can pick characters from this set: http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/marxists/admin/charsets/fullset.htm

‡ - metal door
ю - amulet
Ξ - bin
ж - cave wheat
д - coffer

... they all look usefull for something.

Having full unicode support would be even better.

See, they are discussing more (just a few posts back!) ASCII, Unicode support, and you know, more possibilities for representing things in DF out of the hardcoded limit. Knight Ortu was even a dear and found an old DF talk post from 2010 where Toady said he wanted to do it, because symbols are becoming too overused.

I can understand reading "graphics" them jumping the gun, I totally can, it is an understandable error. That's why I implied you didn't read my post. That's why I said that "You didn't read the FGS thread" that was linked together with the post. So you could read it and resolve any confusion you had.
I'm sorry my question brought confusion, DF community. Next time, I will try to make things people might miss while reading through a post, or posts, like links and definitions, more clear.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:17:57 pm by arkhometha »

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: May 27, 2013, 06:22:34 pm »

Well, did any Eastern European computers from the 80s support two different r256 charsets - One for Latin characters, and another for Cyrillic/Eastern European characters?

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: May 27, 2013, 06:24:36 pm »

Coming on a little strong there, arkhometha. Yes, they missed a link, and perhaps some other posts, and were unaware of apparently around here generally understood terminology, but you missed a chance to take the high ground and be kind about it, then. Anyway, it's understandable, I suppose.

On topic: FGS as understood like that sounds good to me, too.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:27:02 pm by Whatsifsowhatsit »

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: May 27, 2013, 06:41:47 pm »

Coming on a little strong there, arkhometha. Yes, they missed a link, and were unaware of apparently around here generally understood terminology, but you missed a chance to take the high ground and be kind about it, then.

On topic: FGS as understood like that sounds good to me, too.
There isn't a problem missing a link. I wasn't trying to be rude the first time around. The problem is missing a link and complaining about the missing link when I clearly tell the person to read the link the first time they miss the link. Or when they miss the entire conversation that explains the concept he missed two times already. I can only make myself more clear if I enlarge letters, since the person clearly doesn't follow requests or instructions.
I don't want to take a moral high ground. I don't want to preach or make people feel bad. I want people to read before jumping and taking conclusions without even know what they are discussing.
I don't like taking any moral grounds, but you are right in one thing. I was rude. So I apologize in advance for being rude, SmileyMan. I'm not going to edit my post as this is going to render this apology useless.

Well, did any Eastern European computers from the 80s support two different r256 charsets - One for Latin characters, and another for Cyrillic/Eastern European characters?
Hmm I don't know, but where are you coming from, PigtailLlama?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:43:21 pm by arkhometha »

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: May 27, 2013, 06:53:37 pm »

Yeah, I understand the issue. I attempted to fix my post later on, but my internet messed up :P there was indeed a bit more of a misunderstanding (or whatever you want to call it) than I first stated.

By "take the moral high ground" I did not mean anything resembling preaching, just kind of remaining calm and friendly even when the other person might not be. Which I think is a good thing to do. But anyway, this last post more than made up for it, if you ask me. Cheers.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: May 28, 2013, 07:06:13 am »

Yup, even I thought for a moment that full graphic support meant to go to something Age of Empires like at least, I even thought of something like minecraft graphics interface... I however stopped to read the post better and understood afterwards.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: May 28, 2013, 09:42:17 am »

So I apologize in advance for being rude, SmileyMan. I'm not going to edit my post as this is going to render this apology useless.
No problem.  Having read back, I've realised that I was replying in general to a discussion about graphics further up the thread, but you took it as me replying to your specific question about the FGS support.

My fault for not quoting the posts I was commenting on.

As self-imposed punishment, I'll go back and lurk for a year or two...
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: May 28, 2013, 10:34:49 pm »

nah, your post there is fine enough

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: May 28, 2013, 11:03:47 pm »

Some people seem to use vampires in Fortress Mode as super soldiers or immortal bookkeepers. locking them away on an inaccessible room. You could even do a vampire only fortress, not needing food and booze for the trade of super soldiers that are somewhat inefficient/more slow. What are your thoughts on that and do you plan to fix that "exploit" (if this could be called one)? Is it somewhat high on your to-do list to make vampires starve if they don't drink blood? They already drink blood, maybe it's easy to make them die if they don't do it.

Nothing against this strategy, but making vampires drinking blood regularly could make Adventure mode vampire characters more challenging and it would fix some weirdness in the fortress mode with them. A vampire only fortress could still be done, with current vampires drinking the blood of immigrants or the player could herd them like cattle to create food for the vampires. That could be fixed, if you think it needs fixing, by making dwarfs suspect people that don't age and that are super fast and strong in combat, much like happens in world gen, or by making immigrant waves less likely/sparse if well, the liaison see something wrong with all the dwarfs disappearing or if the liaison and it's soldiers are sucked dry by the vampires. Also, if the vampires needs blood more often than immigrants come, some would starve until the next wave.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:51:07 pm by arkhometha »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: May 28, 2013, 11:06:31 pm »

Some people seem to use vampires in Fortress Mode as Super Soldiers or infinite bookkeepers locked away on an inaccessible room. What are your thoughts on that and do you plan to fix that "exploit" (if this could be called one)?
It is actually quite reminiscent of the real world.
"You. You are different. You will work dangerous/menial jobs while I sit back and wait."

...Toady, please change it.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: May 28, 2013, 11:47:07 pm »

Some people seem to use vampires in Fortress Mode as Super Soldiers or infinite bookkeepers locked away on an inaccessible room. What are your thoughts on that and do you plan to fix that "exploit" (if this could be called one)?
It is actually quite reminiscent of the real world.
"You. You are different. You will work dangerous/menial jobs while I sit back and wait."

...Toady, please change it.

Eh, I think people are more about exploiting the game mechanics. You could get a bunch of vampires in a fort and wall them off training and only release them to do combat. Nothing against it, people can play the game the way they like it, but the way it is it's kinda strange and vampires should need to drink blood regularly otherwise they should die. That would make for interesting adventure mode mechanics too and make vampires less weird. And it seems it's simple enough to correct quickly. I updated the post to reflect it. Maybe there is other simple fixes with vampires Toady could do while work in this, if it is high enough in his priority list.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:53:04 pm by arkhometha »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: May 29, 2013, 01:03:41 am »

But if vampires need blood to survive, how can you have insane vampires locked away in a cave, who are then unleashed upon a town to sate their maddening hunger, built up for centuries, by a clueless adventurer?

Honestly, I wouldn't call it an exploit that needs to be fixed. It can work story-wise in several ways, and it takes a lot of effort to identify a vampire, then make sure they're sealed away with everything they need so you don't have to dig them back out and get your best dwarves murdered while you install a lever.

It's like when that one guy complained about how "cheap" players will exploit to avoid sappers by building their fort inside a cube surrounded by magma, so goblins would need an indestructible digging megabeast. If someone manages to build a magma cube fort, then they deserve invincibility from invaders. They're still vulnerable to a minor incident escalating into a tantrum spiral.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: May 29, 2013, 03:14:58 am »

I think an easy and logical fix for the vampire "exploit" if you'd call it that is to have a vampire go berserk after a sufficient amount of time without blood has passed. One could perhaps even go so far as to have the vampire grow stronger in certain attributes to make a blood-starved vamp all the more dangerious and make it more of a gamble to lock it up and release on your foes, as you'd then run the risk of pretty much facing a mega-beast if and when it has annihilated your enemies ^^
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 748