Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733816 times)

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6780 on: June 11, 2013, 01:24:19 pm »

IMHO I like the way it can ebb and flow between two or three ages.  That sort of mimics revivals of certain knowledges/cultures, dark times due to war or pestilence, etc.  I do, however, lookforward to procedurally generated possibilities as well. 

I look forward to the day when I may embark my ninth fortress in a lineage, destined to shape the world for the good of Dwarf, to be told that we are now at the dawning of The Third Age of Dingoes.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: June 11, 2013, 01:26:46 pm »

I once had a world that had over 12 ages in it's history. It consisted of the age of myth, the age of legends, the age of heros, and then continually switching between ages of dwarves and ages of goblins, as their wars kept swaying back and forth. It was amazing.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: June 11, 2013, 01:41:55 pm »

Right now, due to necromancers and so on, the world keeps going from Age of Myth to Age of Legends and back, so you often get something like the 8th Age of Myth. Do you ever plan on changing up the Ages, or adding more of them?

Yes, it's going to change as soon as the world population is made able to do more stuff after world generation. Currently there's no way to see something as The Age of Humans in a progressing game, because they don't reproduce or claim territory, and they're often the first to die of old age. Maybe we'll have procedurally generated names for ages as we already have for wars and conflicts, but I think Toady hasn't been there yet because we're largely unable to see all the possible outcomes.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: June 11, 2013, 01:56:38 pm »

Right now, due to necromancers and so on, the world keeps going from Age of Myth to Age of Legends and back, so you often get something like the 8th Age of Myth. Do you ever plan on changing up the Ages, or adding more of them?

I think this is a question about worldgen ages, and not what happens during play (since that's obviously a total mess with underground critters getting released or whatever). 

I would certainly not say it "always" ends up cycling back and forth between ages.  Almost none of the worlds I play with end up in that state - they usually progress to the age of twilight eventually and just stay there.  Savagery and the number of starting civilizations have a lot to do with this, also there is a degree of luck in getting any necromancers, since I've had several worlds where there simply aren't any gods of death. 

This very much is already part of random generation of your world - you just happen to be using starting conditions that tend toward that state.  It is eventually planned to have some better control over the overall "story" of your world, such as a coming apocalypse or some kind of cycle of rejuvenation for the world, but most of that is quite far off. 
where is up?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: June 11, 2013, 02:06:08 pm »

Necromancers, vampires, and werebeasts do not contribute to age naming. What you're seeing there is (semi)megabeast reproduction. Yes, I've just tested this. 5 megabeasts, no semis, and no night trolls (they may or may not influence age names). The world was in the Golden Age by year 90, with a necromancer tower as well as living werebeasts and vampires.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: June 11, 2013, 06:20:16 pm »

Now that the DFhack team seems to have fixed the size bug, are you going to be implementing any of these player-made fixes in the actual releases?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: June 11, 2013, 07:07:28 pm »

The fix is very hackish, but it does point to what the bug could be. For those who don't know, the fix is to set all creatures' birth_time (that is, the time of year that they were born) to a multiple of 10 or -1. Why this fixes it is unknown, as far as I know (I only wrote the script that does the fixing, not the finding of the fix itself), but it could help Toady figure out what the issue is.

Implementing the fix itself wouldn't be advisable.

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: June 11, 2013, 10:40:41 pm »

I think this is a question about worldgen ages, and not what happens during play (since that's obviously a total mess with underground critters getting released or whatever). 

I would certainly not say it "always" ends up cycling back and forth between ages.  Almost none of the worlds I play with end up in that state - they usually progress to the age of twilight eventually and just stay there.  Savagery and the number of starting civilizations have a lot to do with this, also there is a degree of luck in getting any necromancers, since I've had several worlds where there simply aren't any gods of death. 

This very much is already part of random generation of your world - you just happen to be using starting conditions that tend toward that state.  It is eventually planned to have some better control over the overall "story" of your world, such as a coming apocalypse or some kind of cycle of rejuvenation for the world, but most of that is quite far off.
It seems to happen for me when I use the default settings. When I create a large world, it stays in Age of Myth for millenia.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: June 12, 2013, 07:56:30 am »

A mix of both, I'd say, seeing as immediately after the fort will descend into a tantrum spiral.
I had an amusing image of a meek little mayor having a chat with the sherrif "I don't like to complain, but I have asked him time and time again for a microcline throne, and he just ignores me".

Two days later he crawls away from the smoking wreckage of the fortress: "Well, that escalated quickly!"
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: June 12, 2013, 09:03:47 am »

Now that the DFhack team seems to have fixed the size bug, are you going to be implementing any of these player-made fixes in the actual releases?

Links are always helpful in these cases.

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: June 12, 2013, 03:04:20 pm »

Will siegers yield in fort mode, and if so, what can we do with them?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: June 12, 2013, 03:27:05 pm »

Will siegers yield in fort mode, and if so, what can we do with them?
Toady answered that question in the last reply:
Quote from: Sunday
What happens regarding the new combat and yielding during fortress mode sieges? First, do the invaders yield? If so, do they then retreat? What about the dwarves -- do they yield? If so, is it a military-only yielding, or fortress-wide?

Or are invasions/ambushes no-quarter?

It's all no-quarter right now, because we haven't added anything to deal with prisoners.  That doesn't mean people can't run though.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: June 12, 2013, 03:27:59 pm »

The WoT so far is that seiges are no-quarter (no surrendering, fight to the death) still in this release.

Ninja'd

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: June 12, 2013, 03:55:13 pm »

What's the word on adding a font size option to init.txt? Because DF likes to make fonts that are meant to be smaller than 10 pixels smaller than 5 pixels, which makes them quite unreadable.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: June 12, 2013, 04:16:42 pm »

Does scrolling the mouse wheel help?
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 748