Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735754 times)

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6795 on: June 12, 2013, 05:04:07 pm »

Now that the DFhack team seems to have fixed the size bug, are you going to be implementing any of these player-made fixes in the actual releases?

Links are always helpful in these cases.

forum thread
mantis report

I would like to point out that Toady is not an unreasonable person - in the past, bugs that have been diagnosed this specifically have been fixed promptly.  The reason this bug has been around as long as it has is because the root cause hadn't been figured out until recently - it showed up in stead as a wide range of minor annoyances that seemed mostly unrelated.  The better the community does at tracking down exactly what is causing a problem, the easier it becomes for it to be officially fixed. 

I understand that this thread is probably the best way to draw attention to things like this, but it feels like all too often they fall outside the mandate of this thread.  Things like this should probably be mentioned to one of the mantis bug tracker managers as being of importance (which I am pretty sure happens anyway?) but it is not probably something this thread should generally be used for. 
where is up?

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6796 on: June 12, 2013, 05:10:05 pm »

Does scrolling the mouse wheel help?

Kinda, if you don't mind inconsistent grid sizes. It's either really small text at normal tile size, or blurred tiles at 2x size while the font is at the intended size.

It'd be fantastic if I can get both my text and graphics to stay within an 8x8 grid - Seems like DF halves font sizes, meaning that a font that is 16x16 at 8pt will be 8x8 (4pt?) in DF. I'm trying to mess with a font in FontForge so that it's double the standard size at 8pt.

EDIT: I'm messing with a font's OS/2 metric information via FontForge, as DF is using that to determine font size and width. But how it's using it is just really, really weird; from what I can tell, if the font uses proportional kerning, it ignores most of the data and uses the Win and Typo ascent and descent offsets. However, if you try using Monotype, it gets a bit wonkier and uses the HHead ascent and descent data to determine horizontal spacing.

...Or something like that? It needs more exploration by someone who's got more experience both in fonts and programming. In the end it's just a pain to make a small-sized font work right with it...

EDIT2: I have more info. From what I can tell, it seems that font rendering size mostly relies on the OS/2 font ascent data, preferably reading the Win data and HHead data (which is meant for Macs). Font descent appears to be automatic when set to 0, but setting it to anything else uses that number. As for line gap data, it is ignored by DF for the most part.

Also, the horizontal line clipping is caused by a character that is used at the beginning of some lines (ex. the worldgen options in the starting menu). So that's more of a bug in the strings department, and not the font/graphics department.

From what I can tell, this occurs through fonts that use an OpenType structure. I've not tried a font that uses a TrueType structure.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:34:31 am by PigtailLlama »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6797 on: June 14, 2013, 12:10:37 pm »

Judging from the blog, its just bug fixes before release? Or are you just on an extermination spree? If not, whats left?

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6798 on: June 14, 2013, 12:34:23 pm »

Judging from the blog, its just bug fixes before release? Or are you just on an extermination spree? If not, whats left?
He is wrapping stuff. So yeah, no more features, just bug fixing and checking if things are behaving properly.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6799 on: June 14, 2013, 12:49:21 pm »

"Just bug fixes" is selling the remaining work rather short, I'd say. There's at least some site work (most likely including kobold caves), plant/tree work, and some other stuff I don't recall offhand to be done.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6800 on: June 14, 2013, 02:20:55 pm »

That's right.  Toady is still working the multi-tile trees that sprout daggers and shed drops of blood rather than leaves at harvest moon, as well as the cult that prunes those arboreal gods to glory and the site claims they foster.  Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.  :-\

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6801 on: June 14, 2013, 02:35:16 pm »

That's right.  Toady is still working the multi-tile trees that sprout daggers and shed drops of blood rather than leaves at harvest moon, as well as the cult that prunes those arboreal gods to glory and the site claims they foster.  Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.  :-\

Sounds like elves
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6802 on: June 14, 2013, 03:06:01 pm »

Holy cow, you're right!

When the release drops, we shall have to see if there are trees that are only used in Forest Retreats.  If so, mod to shed "Elf Blood" contaminant in place of leaves.  Or "Blood of Ancestors" and other cultural nuances.

Nimeb likes Ancient One trees for their ancestral ash coating.  Whenever possible he prefers to drink Minotaur Shrub Berry wine.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6803 on: June 14, 2013, 06:11:13 pm »

With the new multi-tile trees, are we going to have proper forest fires now? Can you furnish us with any screenshots?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6804 on: June 14, 2013, 06:37:51 pm »

How were forest fires improper?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6805 on: June 14, 2013, 06:41:40 pm »

Trees don't set fire.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6806 on: June 14, 2013, 07:29:22 pm »

Ah, I can see it now!

You, a deprived peasant armed with nothing but your wits, set fire to the woods around a bandit camp to slay them. Just watch which way the wind blows...

The strategy would be realistic and viable, and come with the downsides of unpredictable fire killing you as well, and of course destroying things from the bandits which you may have wanted to recover.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6807 on: June 14, 2013, 08:26:38 pm »

Trees don't set fire.
They generally don't in real life either. If the foliage burns, it's pretty accurate. Designate the bark as "blackened" and you're good to go. Maybe make one explode due to boiling sap every once in a while.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6808 on: June 14, 2013, 08:43:55 pm »

True it takes a lot of heat to actually combust a tree (anyone who has tried to start a fire with fresh wood from a tree would know this).

It isn't uncommon for grasslands to burn down and the trees to be burnt but mostly in tact.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6809 on: June 14, 2013, 09:27:09 pm »

Some trees even need a proper forrest fire once in a while to propagate.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 748