Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3730547 times)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6975 on: June 30, 2013, 11:49:14 pm »

In the late spring of 135, Urist betrayed the Planks of Order and summoned the Demon lord Dagon through dark magics.

In the late spring of 135, Dagon tricked the Planks of Order into believing that he was the God of wisdom.

In the late spring of 135, Dagon ordered the execution of the king and his descendants on the grounds of blasphemy. The order was carried out successfully.

In the late spring of 135, Urist was promoted to the rank of High Priest of the Wise Chasms, worshipers of Dagon.

Anyway, with the new system of event tracking, what can I expect if I just start punching local domestic horses? Will the other local barn animals still descend upon me, or will some farmer tell me to quit it lest I incur the wrath of the local guards?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:51:54 pm by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6976 on: July 01, 2013, 12:23:46 am »

Anyway, with the new system of event tracking, what can I expect if I just start punching local domestic horses? Will the other local barn animals still descend upon me, or will some farmer tell me to quit it lest I incur the wrath of the local guards?

This has already been answered, I think. If the horse doesn't thrust your skull against your brain, maybe the farmer (if there's one) might go at you and lease a few punches of his own. Hive-minding is less expected in this release, but I think it will be handled in a way similar to how you're framed after a murder: if there's a witness and he goes through an offloaded zone, the game will assume that the "news got spread" and everyone will hate your adventurer, as usual.

Maybe animals will still be lethal if punched, after all they don't perceive threats the same way sentient creatures do.

---

Thank you Toady, I think we're all barely holding our breath until the new release, which doesn't seem to be as near as we all tried to predict.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6977 on: July 01, 2013, 12:34:58 am »

Myself included!  I have no business predicting release dates.  There are always little nuggets I forget about or underestimate in the notes.  That dwarf AI update at the beginning of last month was one item out of 800, and it took more than a week, but surrounding that I've been cruising through about 5 or 10 a day.  So you never know.  All I can say is that I feel good about the pace for the last few months (aside from that one AI bump).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6978 on: July 01, 2013, 02:20:10 am »

Hooray!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6979 on: July 01, 2013, 02:30:04 am »

There's nothing divine in this process as it stands

I am going to assume you mean "As it stands in my mind"

Since yeah currently there is nothing divine about Megabeasts or the worship of them... I was more or less asking if there could be a Dragon who was also a real god as far as the game is concerned.

Anyhow thanks for answering our questions Toady.

---

Also I am glad Toady didn't answer that REALLY bad joke question I made >_< that was embarrassing.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:11:45 am by Neonivek »

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6980 on: July 01, 2013, 06:30:04 am »

What influence will kidnapping and interrogating have in the nearest future? (about 6 months from now) will it be included? Are we going to be able to change history doing this stuff?

I can't wait for the update.
Dabbling Overseer

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6981 on: July 01, 2013, 10:28:38 am »

What influence will kidnapping and interrogating have in the nearest future? (about 6 months from now) will it be included? Are we going to be able to change history doing this stuff?

I can't wait for the update.

I was going to answer "Yes, you definitely can interrogate and hogtie people now!", but the actual affair is a bit more sobering right now:
Quote from: Toady One in DF Talk #21
Part of the hero role is going to be exploring you being able to sort of interrogate captured people and so on. We didn't get to that part. It was on the table for this time, but we moved toward the active world for deaths, succession, and army stuff instead, and so we'll just have to do that some other time.
However, listening to the whole thing now is a must.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #6982 on: July 01, 2013, 10:44:26 am »

When are you planning on nerfing the trade value of cooked meals Toady? It's way too tempting to 'cheat' by selling cooked meals to caravans right now and get insane amounts of wealth.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:52:55 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6983 on: July 01, 2013, 10:52:09 am »

All glory to the hypnotoad!
The current worship of attacking beasts starts at the lowest level and is meant to reflect superstitious behavior resulting from the ever-present threat and trauma.  Over time and with the help of subsequent attacks and the indoctrination of children of the affected historical figures, a cult worshipping the megabeast can be formed.  There's nothing divine in this process as it stands.

The titans and their relation to the world etc. is something that will probably be thrown into a world metaphysics generator grinder before we do anything more with it.  They are certainly candidates for divinity of some form, whatever that'll mean.  At that point, whether or not there are worshippers and whether or not their object of worship hears their prayers (etc.) might be more detailed.
I like this touch. I had a D&D setting where a isolated island culture erected an idol to one of the local sea monsters. I'm looking forward to more procedurally generated variety in religion as well, and imagine some adventurers will have !!fun!! dealing with titans who wind up with some form of divine power on top of being, well, titans.

There's a lot of multi-race sites, especially the human towns.  The objects sold should at the minimum reflect that, and ideally reflect their market.  That's not something I've handled yet, but we'll see what happens.
Good thing for my kobold thief/trader idea. Hopefully he'll be able to find some kobold-sized clothing made with the best crafthumanship, and then I can start making plans to convince distant nations that all my countrybolds wear dapper clothing. ;)
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6984 on: July 01, 2013, 12:09:57 pm »

When are you planning on nerfing the trade value of cooked meals Toady? It's way too tempting to 'cheat' by selling cooked meals to caravans right now and get insane amounts of wealth.

There are a number of things where the trade value is just strange - notably cooked meals, trap components, and metal ammunition.  There's also an element of caravans not charging you anything extra for bringing heavy stuff, and "rarity" doesn't seem to figure in to the equation anywhere.  I doubt that's going to be fixed for this release, and really any guesses farther into the future than that are unreliable. 

There are, however, a number of caravan-related development goals, and it would be reasonable to expect this sort of thing to get handled then, or possibly whenever there's some kind of economy coming back to fortress mode.  Specific changes to food prices might also be prudent whenever fort-mode taverns happen. 

Oh man I just imagined restaurants and street-vendors selling you meals.  Meals nobody can afford!  hehehe
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:17:52 pm by Caldfir »
where is up?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6985 on: July 01, 2013, 01:23:22 pm »

I always assumed trap components were sophisticated designs made of a large amount of metal. In fact, I imagine 100 pounds of any metal would be fairly valuable, no matter what shape it's in.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #6986 on: July 01, 2013, 01:41:37 pm »

Quote from: flabort
Will underground trees still grow after you pierce the caverns? Will underground trees still be single tile trees or multitiled?

The underground mushrooms and trees will be multi-tile, and they'll be treated like other trees with respect to growth (that is, it's one of the remaining items to get it to work, and I expect it'll work out since the tree growth function was written with growth-during-play in mind).

If an underground multi-tile tree is cut down, with one of its leaf tiles (or even branches)
touching a side or the cavern roof, will this stop a timber/cave-in situation?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 01:45:32 pm by Eggman360 »
Victory Smells So Sweet...It smells like Green Gel and Plump Helmets Mixed Together....

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6987 on: July 01, 2013, 03:30:02 pm »

Thank you very much for the answers Toady!

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6988 on: July 01, 2013, 03:47:21 pm »

I always assumed trap components were sophisticated designs made of a large amount of metal. In fact, I imagine 100 pounds of any metal would be fairly valuable, no matter what shape it's in.

The problem is that a large spiked ball made out of wood is still absurdly valuable. A no-quality spiked ball can easily be worth more than a high-quality wooden throne. Which just seems bad.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6989 on: July 01, 2013, 03:58:00 pm »

The problem is that a large spiked ball made out of wood is still absurdly valuable. A no-quality spiked ball can easily be worth more than a high-quality wooden throne. Which just seems bad.
You can change it in the raws. But yeah, it'd be nice to see it in vanilla.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 748