Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3734799 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #735 on: March 18, 2012, 06:35:59 pm »

Also, i can't find a mention of it in the devlog, but the ideas been floating around the forums, do you intend to fix the issue where once an animal attacks a dwarf its a permanant civ enemy? causing horrible bugs.

Quote from: Dev Log 03/10/2012
I think that problem where tamed animals with dwarf kills still attack you is fixed, but I have to test it, and I also have to check out animals you receive in trade. Various little tests.

ah ok, sometimes hard to find small sentences in walls of text.  ::)

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 18, 2012, 08:29:19 pm »

So will any future bugfix releases for v0.34 break savegame compatibility post v0.34.05? Because between the clothing bugs that will supposedly get fixes in the next release, the bugged plants for good/evil biomes, the disappearing mummy bug, the "crime lord got spawned in a solid wall" bug, and all those other annoyances,  I'm concerned that there's a good chance that fixing any of these might force the player to create a new world in order for these fixes to work and thus lose all of two weeks worth of progress.

Also I really don't like having to modfix unarmed attacks for cave swallow men every time a new release comes out.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:31:22 pm by Gaspa Craftdreams »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 18, 2012, 08:55:28 pm »

So will any future bugfix releases for v0.34 break savegame compatibility post v0.34.05?

Depends on how you define breaking save compatibility. Actually preventing a player from moving a fortress to the new version? Extremely unlikely. The reason compatability broke between 34.01 and 34.02 was there was a very nasty bug in 34.01 that corrupted your worlds and made them unplayable after a while; Toady manually put in a compatability break to discourage people from using that version. To the extent of my knowledge, that's happened once in the six years or so since the first public release (although some bugs certainly were almost as bad. The "press K to crash the game" bug comes to mind).

The other reason total compatability breaks happen is when part of the game becomes so fundamentally altered that Toady can't realistically make a fix that ports old forts over. This has happened 3 times in the last six years, and only in major feature updates.

As for the times where you can upgrade your fort to a new version but some bugfixes and new features won't be there, those are fairly common. It looks like most of the clothing bugfixes are changes to the dwarf AI, though, which should generally work in forts ported to newer versions.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #738 on: March 19, 2012, 01:02:58 am »

You know what I kinda miss from Dwarf Fortress? The V for Visualize button.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 19, 2012, 01:19:29 am »

This is a void that I would love to fill.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 19, 2012, 01:26:11 am »

This sentence is a HORRIBLE pick-up line.

On topic, I know Toady put the visualize button as a test of something, but I can't really remember what... Without offense, it was quite primitive.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 19, 2012, 02:05:04 am »

Try Stonesense or <dwarf fortress visualiser> google search.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 19, 2012, 02:10:37 am »

Look at the stonesense credits, please >_>

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 19, 2012, 02:12:58 am »

Look at the stonesense credits, please >_>
Ouch.
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

ApolloCVermouth

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Rodopi Zhivkov
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 19, 2012, 04:39:14 am »

A really general question:
Do you see the successive waves of migrants as an essential gameplay mechanic, or is it mostly a place holder? Do you see an overabundance of migrants as fundamental to the game, or could some circumstances lead to fewer available migrants?

I really appreciate how historical figures now migrate. I can see how this could become a rich part of the game.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 19, 2012, 07:12:32 am »

Do you see the successive waves of migrants as an essential gameplay mechanic, or is it mostly a place holder? Do you see an overabundance of migrants as fundamental to the game, or could some circumstances lead to fewer available migrants?

I really appreciate how historical figures now migrate. I can see how this could become a rich part of the game.
From df talks ( http://www.bay12games.com/media/df_talk_combined_transcript.html ):

"You get a lot of migrants yourself, but in those fortresses that don't get a lot of migrants, or especially when migrants start changing over to something that actually has to migrate and come to your fortress"

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 19, 2012, 07:13:15 am »

Sounds like a badly disguised "Can we have smaller migrant waves?" suggestion-question.

Anyways, I can't think of anything that could be called an essential gameplay mechanic in DF, except perhaps "adventuring", "indirect-control 7 dwarves" and "dying horribly a.k.a Losing (which is Fun)". Everything else is gonna be replaced by simulated stuff, until the day when Dwarf Fortress accidentally generates The Lord of the Rings as world history, AND THEN REJECTS IT, because it doesn't have the required number of kitten deaths.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 19, 2012, 08:58:34 am »

So will any future bugfix releases for v0.34 break savegame compatibility post v0.34.05?

Depends on how you define breaking save compatibility. Actually preventing a player from moving a fortress to the new version? Extremely unlikely. The reason compatability broke between 34.01 and 34.02 was there was a very nasty bug in 34.01 that corrupted your worlds and made them unplayable after a while; Toady manually put in a compatability break to discourage people from using that version. To the extent of my knowledge, that's happened once in the six years or so since the first public release (although some bugs certainly were almost as bad. The "press K to crash the game" bug comes to mind).

Yeah, and these problems aren't foreseeable, so for that aspect of compat breaks, the answer can only be "hopefully not".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 19, 2012, 09:06:09 am »

Usually what I do if I must keep a save and there is broken save compatability is just to keep the old version of the game.

Disreputable_Dog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 19, 2012, 10:40:37 am »

This still sounds like a really bed pick-up line.

I always thought it was odd how many migrants would come to your fortress sometimes. It seems like there must be some great propaganda in the Dwarven cities for people to migrate out to some of our god-forsaken hell-holes xD You'd think you'd be able to send word back with the first caravan to tell them to stop sending so many people or something, or even request MORE if, persay, you need helpers to train your dragon (and don't feel like sweeping up the charred bits of dwarfs you actually know) or maybe all the dwarven cities are just insanely over populated and they're kicking people out and they come to our fortresses since there's nowhere else to go?

On something slightly more relevant, is there one day going to be a way to have your fortresses stay alive so you can visit the dwarfs in adventure mode rather then only being able to visit their empty shell of a fortress? or I guess that would also be a good platform for having multiple fortresses active at once, perhaps even trading between eachother! :O Imagine that, being able to have a fortress tucked away somewhere nice and safe, growing lots of food and shipping it off to the towering fortress built into the side of a mountain where they repay the good will with weapons and tools scrounged from the depths of their mountain homes! :O that would be interesting, to say the least.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:42:21 am by Disreputable_Dog »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 748