Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3729902 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #750 on: March 19, 2012, 11:22:32 am »

migration relates to fortress wealth, less masterwork granite thrones and 10000* roasts on your first year means you get smaller waves. it also helps delay ambushes and invasions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 19, 2012, 11:24:06 am »

migration relates to fortress wealth, less masterwork granite thrones and 10000* roasts on your first year means you get smaller waves. it also helps delay ambushes and invasions.

It does mean that slower growth is supperior to fast growth.

Mind you there is a lot to be said in going to the old system where once sieges start they will excalate independent to your wealth. Creating an arms race.

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 19, 2012, 12:05:40 pm »

Will vampires ever respond differently to strange moods than other dwarves? Such as failure to create an artifact causing different effects than melancholy or insanity? Or such as the artifact being different as compared to other artifacts (design, items used) or is it more of a wait until the artifact development arc to see?

I say this as having a 300 year old vampire arrive at a fortress, then after 6 months going suicidal because he couldnt make an earring seems a bit off. And currently an insane vampire will just walk around naked for eternity, not blood sucking people. Not the first picture you have of an insane vampire (more blood sucky and evil kingly).

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 19, 2012, 12:08:22 pm »

It does mean that slower growth is supperior to fast growth.

Mind you there is a lot to be said in going to the old system where once sieges start they will excalate independent to your wealth. Creating an arms race.
and remember when bees were first implemented?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #754 on: March 19, 2012, 12:26:16 pm »

Will vampires ever respond differently to strange moods than other dwarves? Such as failure to create an artifact causing different effects than melancholy or insanity? Or such as the artifact being different as compared to other artifacts (design, items used) or is it more of a wait until the artifact development arc to see?

I say this as having a 300 year old vampire arrive at a fortress, then after 6 months going suicidal because he couldnt make an earring seems a bit off. And currently an insane vampire will just walk around naked for eternity, not blood sucking people. Not the first picture you have of an insane vampire (more blood sucky and evil kingly).

Huh, that's an interesting scenario. You might want to try to put him in a cage by knocking him out over a cage trap and putting him up somewhere. Like your dining hall.

All that said, I for one think it might be interesting if vampires always got fell moods.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 19, 2012, 12:46:31 pm »

I saw a dwarf in Legends Mode remarry after her (converted by night creatures) Dwarven husband died. 
Do Dwarves now also remarry in DF mode? Or did they always do this in World Gen / when their night creature spouse die?

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 19, 2012, 01:32:08 pm »

Huh, that's an interesting scenario. You might want to try to put him in a cage by knocking him out over a cage trap and putting him up somewhere. Like your dining hall.

All that said, I for one think it might be interesting if vampires always got fell moods.

It wasnt my vampire, its just something that came up in the topic below that I thought would be good to ask here. As said before, it makes for a great tourist attraction for all to see, the great undead murderous vampire a mear crazy fool.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101181.240

As for always having fell moods, I do agree with the premise of vampires going the murderous route but it does have its problems. It would make it obvious that their a vampire, and also currently fell moods only produce artifact crafts which are practically useless expect for money value.

Overall I do hope Toady doesnt go for "vampires dont get moods"

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 19, 2012, 02:31:12 pm »

On something slightly more relevant, is there one day going to be a way to have your fortresses stay alive so you can visit the dwarfs in adventure mode rather then only being able to visit their empty shell of a fortress? or I guess that would also be a good platform for having multiple fortresses active at once, perhaps even trading between eachother! :O Imagine that, being able to have a fortress tucked away somewhere nice and safe, growing lots of food and shipping it off to the towering fortress built into the side of a mountain where they repay the good will with weapons and tools scrounged from the depths of their mountain homes! :O that would be interesting, to say the least.

In SimCity4 you can settle cities just like in DF, except you can settle multiple cities at once. They found a way to solve the time flow and resource transfer between cities while one of them is being actively played. In other words yeah, it's no fun being only able to visit your dead forts as an adventurer, or have only a single tiny fort in a huge world. Potential wasted!
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 19, 2012, 02:44:47 pm »

On something slightly more relevant, is there one day going to be a way to have your fortresses stay alive so you can visit the dwarfs in adventure mode rather then only being able to visit their empty shell of a fortress? or I guess that would also be a good platform for having multiple fortresses active at once, perhaps even trading between eachother! :O Imagine that, being able to have a fortress tucked away somewhere nice and safe, growing lots of food and shipping it off to the towering fortress built into the side of a mountain where they repay the good will with weapons and tools scrounged from the depths of their mountain homes! :O that would be interesting, to say the least.

In SimCity4 you can settle cities just like in DF, except you can settle multiple cities at once. They found a way to solve the time flow and resource transfer between cities while one of them is being actively played. In other words yeah, it's no fun being only able to visit your dead forts as an adventurer, or have only a single tiny fort in a huge world. Potential wasted!

Suggestion forum is here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=5.0
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 19, 2012, 04:13:33 pm »

I always thought it was odd how many migrants would come to your fortress sometimes. It seems like there must be some great propaganda in the Dwarven cities for people to migrate out to some of our god-forsaken hell-holes xD You'd think you'd be able to send word back with the first caravan to tell them to stop sending so many people or something, or even request MORE if, persay, you need helpers to train your dragon (and don't feel like sweeping up the charred bits of dwarfs you actually know) or maybe all the dwarven cities are just insanely over populated and they're kicking people out and they come to our fortresses since there's nowhere else to go?

I always think of it as being because other forts were crashing and burning as dorf forts do, and the huge waves of irritable, penniless migrants we got were the remains of whatever other forts had been in the area. 

Question for Toady:
Do you plan to deal with hauling-related injuries to the hauling overhaul coming up? I'm sure we'll get healthcare improvements at some point, but I'm curious about the timing.

I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 19, 2012, 05:06:34 pm »

Yeah, cause someone had to be internet police about it. Show me your badge please!
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 19, 2012, 05:13:01 pm »

you're disrespecting the holy gift of the limegreen. if that kind of behavior isn't curbed, or at least kept in check, the toad might decide it's too much of a hassle to sort through all the rubbish and stop answering questions altogether.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 19, 2012, 05:13:38 pm »

Yeah, cause someone had to be internet police about it. Show me your badge please!

Follow the rules and you won't have problems. Now, move on, citizen!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 19, 2012, 05:24:57 pm »

Did you read the OP?

[...] specific suggestions belong for the most part in the suggestion forum.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 19, 2012, 08:19:27 pm »

Right now I'm frantically trying to make a clothing industry in my latest fort(34.05) so I can anticipate and prevent a tantrum spiral when 34.06 comes out.

Hmmm, when was the last time we had a first number change that didn't take a year and a half to do?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 748