Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735821 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7665 on: September 30, 2013, 08:16:54 pm »

Thanks Toady! Just a few months left...

Also, that future emperor reminds me of a certain dictactor.

Just out of curiosity, which one? Hitler?

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7666 on: September 30, 2013, 08:55:21 pm »

Thinking of trees, is there any chance of something like this happening?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:39:00 am by Paaaad »
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7667 on: September 30, 2013, 09:20:15 pm »

You should make the text green if you want Toady One to answer it.

I could see that happening as a bug, however I don't think the coding supports epiphytes yet.

In a similar line of thought, will we be seeingepiphytes in DF? If not now, eventually? Also I'm referring to things like bromeliads and some orchids. Although having moss and lichen growing on trees would be neat and would just be a description and perhaps a tile change rather than a full blown plant with complete raws. So, moss and lichen on trees would be doable in a shorter timeframe.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7668 on: September 30, 2013, 10:00:39 pm »

I could see that happening as a bug, however I don't think the coding supports epiphytes yet.

In a similar line of thought, will we be seeingepiphytes in DF? If not now, eventually? Also I'm referring to things like bromeliads and some orchids. Although having moss and lichen growing on trees would be neat and would just be a description and perhaps a tile change rather than a full blown plant with complete raws. So, moss and lichen on trees would be doable in a shorter timeframe.
Moss is in the game. If you have a fortress last long enough, you'll get moss growing on the fortress. I think it needs to last at least ten years? I remember having a puppy growing to a doggie dying of old age.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7669 on: September 30, 2013, 10:12:51 pm »

@ Your future Emperor:
He personally is disgusted by tradition and would flout any he encounters if given the chance,
"You're treating a symptom. That's a symptom of society."
sees power over others as something to strive for,
"The world is a mess, and I just... need... to rule it."
disdains loyalty and finds leisure time wasteful.
"♪Look at these people, ♫ amazing how sheep will line up for the slaughter....♪"
"It's not enough to bash in heads; you've got to bash in miiiiiinds!"
~Urist McHammer, adventurer
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7670 on: September 30, 2013, 10:16:26 pm »

Quote from: FearfulJesuit
Toady, do you see dwarves/other races as being basically evil ("orginal sin"), basically good, or something else, like moral tabulae rasae or simply basically pragmatists?
Quote from: Helgoland
Toady, what's your 'design philosophy' of the dwarven character? Where do you see yourself on the scale of Hobbes vs. Rousseau?

I'm trying to avoid all that.  If there's a notion of original sin or soul improvement over several lifetimes, I want that to be modeled by the mechanics, and I want it to be adjustable.  I still need to systemetize something with objects and rules, and there are going to be biases there and so on, but I'm hoping the system can account for a variety of metaphysical realities (which we'll eventually want to generate with each world gen).  I don't need to get too deep into the root causes of things until I'm ready for it.  Then certain systems can be given exceptions (as with the individual variation we now have from the base entity values).

yesyesyes. Everything is sliding scales!

On a different note, I wonder if we couldn't just mimic bushes by making a fruit tree with height 0 or 1 and a small-diameter crown. That's... kinda what a bush is anyway.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7671 on: September 30, 2013, 10:24:01 pm »

Moss is in the game. If you have a fortress last long enough, you'll get moss growing on the fortress. I think it needs to last at least ten years? I remember having a puppy growing to a doggie dying of old age.

I've had forts more than 10 years old and moss didn't show up. I use the mayday graphics pack though.

Edit: Does moss grow on constructed walls and floors?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:28:26 pm by smjjames »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7672 on: September 30, 2013, 10:32:24 pm »

I've had forts more than 10 years old and moss didn't show up. I use the mayday graphics pack though.

Edit: Does moss grow on constructed walls and floors?

I think the relevant step in older versions was that the fortress had to be abandoned and later reclaimed.  There might have been a visit by adventurer required also.  And yes, it grew on constructed walls and floors that were above ground.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7673 on: September 30, 2013, 10:51:57 pm »

My memory is fuzziness enough, I cant recall for sure if it was a reclaim or not.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7674 on: October 01, 2013, 06:27:05 am »

Awesome stuff.

Just want to point out that 'overflated' should either be 'inflated' or 'overinflated' - overflated isn't actually a word.

I was thrown off by this at first too, but it's not like you can't figure out what it means, so I don't care :) .

Sure. I wasn't aiming to have a go, just kind pointing it out as a very minor attempt at help.

As he said a while back, he'd been writing several hundred lines of traits and that stuff gets sludgy at the best of times. I figured it was just a result of 'I can't think of the word, I still have X number of things to add, and my mind isn't working too well after all this coding/writing'. Happens to everyone. If not that, then probably a regional/dialect based word that - I would assume - isn't natural to most.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7675 on: October 01, 2013, 09:28:35 am »

Bay12, lets try to figure this out: What historical person is that emperor dwarf? I'd say Frederick the Great...

i'm gonna say sabbatai zevi or didius julianus

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7676 on: October 01, 2013, 09:40:57 am »

Thanks for the replies Toady!
I'm tickled to see the new draws and thinking into the mechanics of how they'll work in application.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7677 on: October 01, 2013, 01:51:05 pm »

Oh, cool. What a weird world we live in, that is awesome.

"It's not enough to bash in heads; you've got to bash in miiiiiinds!"
~Urist McHammer, adventurer

Exactly.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7678 on: October 01, 2013, 01:59:26 pm »

yo dawg, i herd u liek trees...

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7679 on: October 01, 2013, 03:27:53 pm »

I wouldn't map STRESS_VULNERABILITY to "vulnerability"

Vunlerability means emotionally vulnerable, or "sensetive". STRESS_VULNERABILITY sounds like how well they can deal with stress.
That's one that falls under the category "looks odd" - Vulnerability in the current version is already about stress.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 748