Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735734 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7680 on: October 01, 2013, 03:38:13 pm »

If one were to make a tree farm underground, would the "cave in" mechanics break through and fall to lower z levels provided the level below is empty?
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

haydenmuhl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7681 on: October 01, 2013, 05:13:17 pm »

Will goblins be automatically hostile to an adventurer? Is there any way to go to a goblin site to trade or get quests?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: October 01, 2013, 05:33:48 pm »

Will goblins be automatically hostile to an adventurer? Is there any way to go to a goblin site to trade or get quests?
Well you could just make goblins playable as an adventurer. Very simple mod.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7683 on: October 01, 2013, 05:46:00 pm »

Well you could just make goblins playable as an adventurer. Very simple mod.

True, but what if you're playing some other race?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7684 on: October 01, 2013, 06:15:55 pm »

As he said a while back, he'd been writing several hundred lines of traits and that stuff gets sludgy at the best of times. I figured it was just a result of 'I can't think of the word, I still have X number of things to add, and my mind isn't working too well after all this coding/writing'. Happens to everyone. If not that, then probably a regional/dialect based word that - I would assume - isn't natural to most.

Nah, I never thought of overflated as a word.  It's just a garden variety typo for overinflated, although perhaps inflated is better since you aren't supposed to inflate one in the first place.  There were/are lots of typos in the trait lines.  It tends to happen when I have to write lots of isolated sentences all at the same time.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7685 on: October 01, 2013, 06:53:45 pm »

Love the Emperor dwarf, his traits reminded me of some good times with the black adder.
"Urist! I've got a cunning megaproject..."
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7686 on: October 02, 2013, 12:33:35 am »

Have there been any question of How tree falling acts with a obstacle, say another tree, or perhaps simply the side of the mountain, in the way?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7687 on: October 02, 2013, 02:15:21 am »

Have there been any question of How tree falling acts with a obstacle, say another tree, or perhaps simply the side of the mountain, in the way?
They become a projectile, I think, so they would collide and tumble down. But a tree, most probably can't knock down nother tree.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7688 on: October 02, 2013, 02:21:45 am »

As he said a while back, he'd been writing several hundred lines of traits and that stuff gets sludgy at the best of times. I figured it was just a result of 'I can't think of the word, I still have X number of things to add, and my mind isn't working too well after all this coding/writing'. Happens to everyone. If not that, then probably a regional/dialect based word that - I would assume - isn't natural to most.

Nah, I never thought of overflated as a word.  It's just a garden variety typo for overinflated, although perhaps inflated is better since you aren't supposed to inflate one in the first place.  There were/are lots of typos in the trait lines.  It tends to happen when I have to write lots of isolated sentences all at the same time.

Would you consider an advance release of the entirely of the new trait lines so that we can...help you proofread them? :D
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7689 on: October 02, 2013, 10:05:29 am »

It'll probably just act like it hit a wall and fall straight down. (since it's directly related to misko27's question, you don't have to do this one if it gets answered in response to the above question. Might be something to think about physics wise though). I wonder if felling larger trees such as the 30 tile giants will crush smaller trees and create a small scale cavein effect.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:18:11 pm by smjjames »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7690 on: October 02, 2013, 10:18:46 am »

Ohh the word was "overflated" I thought the "not a word" was "Overinflated"

dmatter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: October 02, 2013, 01:45:31 pm »

Are there any plans to include things like multilingual exogamy (I know it isn't a priority right now)? I just think it would be a neat feature down the road, which could lead to all sorts of interesting situations with different civ interactions.

Example of multilingual exogamy can be found here: http://www.haujournal.org/index.php/hau/article/view/300

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: October 02, 2013, 06:54:35 pm »

It'll probably just act like it hit a wall and fall straight down. (since it's directly related to misko27's question, you don't have to do this one if it gets answered in response to the above question. Might be something to think about physics wise though). I wonder if felling larger trees such as the 30 tile giants will crush smaller trees and create a small scale cavein effect.

I bet thats tied into destructible constructions.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7693 on: October 02, 2013, 08:34:09 pm »

Will NPCs still build things after world-gen?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: October 02, 2013, 09:22:13 pm »

Will NPCs still build things after world-gen?

As discussed in DF Talk 13, this is planned, although there's no definite timeline:
After world generation it's basically the same story. You have nothing happening right now changing in the towns, and the timeline for that is not really well known, we'll see when we get to it ... I think it was release 5, I'm going to go and check now ... there was a release there that really gets at the dynamic of the situation; right now we're just trying to get things to show up at all, so you have to be a bit patient with what we've got. Release 5: changing populations, food use and other world generation stuff moved to actual play; that entire release is basically dedicated toward making the situation more dynamic in the cities. So if people moved to a town then that needs to be reflected in the growth of the town, even if you've visited the town before; if you've visited a town and it had a population of one thousand and you play the game for twenty in-game years ... that would be a lengthy series of adventure mode games but it's not just adventure mode games being played, it's fortress mode games which pass the years quite quickly ... and so you can end up with a town, you know if its population changes from one thousand to two thousand and you've already visited the town in adventure mode then you would have a map for that town and that map would need to be updated, so basically it would need to take a summary of changes - it can't keep track of anything - but a summary of changes, and continue to create the city, basically, and more or less tear up farm land and extend the map outward. So the extent to which that's possible with, say, five hundred years of world generation history ... It's not something I'm doing right now as various people have noted, about these maps, and I don't have all the information stored that I need but it's certainly a feasible thing that shouldn't be too difficult overall.

It's also on the dev page:
Adventurer Role: Hero
    Villains
        Hostile civ leaders and the new hist figs being able to harass others by sending out groups
            Changing populations, food use and other world gen stuff moved to actual play
            Towns destroyed/rebuilt in play
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 748