Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733101 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7710 on: October 06, 2013, 03:00:36 am »

Quote from: Chthonic
Might we see some examples of these awful dwarves?

First I had it make 500 dwarves, where it highlighted the odd ones, and I went through them and picked a few winners:

Spoiler: A little too elfy (click to show/hide)

I just happened to notice that this "Too Elfy" dwarf is 24 years old and already has 7 children.  Are dwarves maturing younger now?  I can't recall ever seeing dwarves that young with so many children.   In fact I thought that dwarven females didn't even start having children until 30 or so, typically?

Not a big deal, but it will impact large forts fairly significantly after a few years if every dwarf over the age of 18 is having a child every year.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7711 on: October 06, 2013, 03:04:37 am »

12 years old has always been the age Dwarves begin to procreate at.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7712 on: October 06, 2013, 03:40:40 am »

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vgy5h5tmWFZLqCJMYd1cbGG67SUCSIn30Y--DNymzdg/edit?pli=1

this doesn't include the personality overhaul
If something is missing, please feel free to add it.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7713 on: October 06, 2013, 03:44:21 am »

I thought that 12 was when they started doing adult work, but it took them until 30 or so to start having children?

I've played a few no-dwarf embarks where I simply sealed the dwarves in after two years and in some of them I've gone 30-40 years in the fortress and had dwarves with 20-30 kids, but I cannot remember any of the Dwarves under 30 having children of their own.

Maybe I just never noticed it.  With the number of no-dwarf embarks I've done this would seem unlikely - but possible.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7714 on: October 06, 2013, 04:43:05 am »

I read on the list of changes that Kingdoms will be divided in counties, which will be divided in baronies.

Will the level of these groups (barony/county/kingdom) can change in time ?
For example if the king dies without a heir, would a count takes his place ? Then the count becomes king, and if his county remains a county, then who will become count ?
Will we see someday some civil wars to obtain power, between Counts, with Counts calling their baronies for help  ? Something like a tree of feodality...
Last, will the name of the groups reflect somehow the importance of this land ? Something like "the barony of the angelic sabre", or "the county of the future whip".

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7715 on: October 06, 2013, 08:27:54 am »

For example if the king dies without a heir, would a count takes his place ? Then the count becomes king, and if his county remains a county, then who will become count ?
Will we see someday some civil wars to obtain power, between Counts, with Counts calling their baronies for help  ? Something like a tree of feodality...
Last, will the name of the groups reflect somehow the importance of this land ? Something like "the barony of the angelic sabre", or "the county of the future whip".

If I recall correctly, the count's heir could become the new count. Religion and politics are going to play a huge role in wars, so yes, we'll be seeing strife inside members of the same civilization, with different allegiances and not always related to the chain of command; say, a baron gets called to fight for the county, but the baron refuses thanks to a deal made with a local cult, or a rampaging goblin tribe whose interests clash with those of the baron.

About names, I think Toady has spoke about refurbishing them, but I don't have a quote at hand. I think someone will find one as I'm writing this.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7716 on: October 06, 2013, 10:18:25 am »

Some aspects of succession are going in for this release:
Quote from: devlog
01/06/2013 Toady One Entity position succession (and the filling of open positions) is underway. It'll recognize when succession is necessary and try to schedule things effectively, and I set up a claim system so that there can theoretically be more than one person that says that they hold a given civilization's position (three dwarven counts vying for an open monarch position, for example). Competing claims don't have a resolution yet, and I need to work out appointment lists properly. I probably need to further specify some of the positions in the raws as well, since we don't want things like bookkeepers in every hill dwarf site.

Civil wars aren't being implemented yet AFAIK, but they're on the dev page as "succession struggles".  We are getting insurrections against occupying forces.

This seems like an interface clarity suggestion.  In general, Toady favors clarity.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:22:32 am by Footkerchief »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7717 on: October 06, 2013, 02:16:26 pm »

I have always wanted something like trees in the legend mode. Today, everybody (outcasts, religion, civilisations and groups) are on the same list, and the same level, and I find this quite disturbing. At least, a color code or a system of directory/sub directory would be welcome !

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7718 on: October 06, 2013, 02:24:39 pm »

I thought that 12 was when they started doing adult work, but it took them until 30 or so to start having children?

I've played a few no-dwarf embarks where I simply sealed the dwarves in after two years and in some of them I've gone 30-40 years in the fortress and had dwarves with 20-30 kids, but I cannot remember any of the Dwarves under 30 having children of their own.

Maybe I just never noticed it.  With the number of no-dwarf embarks I've done this would seem unlikely - but possible.

It's just that marriage takes really long to happen in fortress mode. Immigrants younger than that with kids aren't important.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #7719 on: October 06, 2013, 02:54:05 pm »

I have always wanted something like trees in the legend mode. Today, everybody (outcasts, religion, civilisations and groups) are on the same list, and the same level, and I find this quite disturbing. At least, a color code or a system of directory/sub directory would be welcome !

Even cooler would be cross-references that you select with the mouse and/or keyboard. For example, on Urist McAdventurer's history page,

In 938, Urist McAdventurer became an enemy in the eyes of The Cloistered Pages

And then you could select "The Cloistered Pages" and see their history page.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7720 on: October 06, 2013, 02:56:08 pm »

Even cooler would be cross-references that you select with the mouse and/or keyboard. For example, on Urist McAdventurer's history page,

There was some desire to get the Legends to be dumpable in XML so that communities members can make better Legend Readers.  Don't think there been any readers made though.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7721 on: October 06, 2013, 03:00:17 pm »

There was some desire to get the Legends to be dumpable in XML so that communities members can make better Legend Readers.  Don't think there been any readers made though.
There's this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72702
The problem is there's data that is not exported in the XML file.

EDIT: The Utilities section of the wiki has a lot of interesting tools.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:12:37 pm by Parisbre56 »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7722 on: October 06, 2013, 08:33:09 pm »

It's just that marriage takes really long to happen in fortress mode. Immigrants younger than that with kids aren't important.

Especially when there isn't enough adults to do all the work that needs to be done, leading to very little time for socializing which makes relationships of any kind difficult to form and advance.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7723 on: October 07, 2013, 12:39:17 am »

Especially when there isn't enough adults to do all the work that needs to be done, leading to very little time for socializing which makes relationships of any kind difficult to form and advance.

Would be easy enough to test. Check male and female babies born at the same time for compatible personalities, then seclude 'em in a room with each other when they're children. Keep 'em supplied and see how long it takes for them to marry when they hit adulthood.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7724 on: October 07, 2013, 09:04:35 pm »

It will happen pretty fast if you do that. The reason it takes so long to get marriages is due to being busy. If they can't work and only socialize with each other their relationship will progress quickly.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 748