Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3734086 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7755 on: October 12, 2013, 07:10:59 am »

Have you ever considered the possibility of creating a new class of object for those things which tend to create lots of clutter due to small stacks?  For example, "mixed" bones.  "mixed" arrows, etc.  This could be a part of the cleaning job (which might then get a small boost in it's priority?), to collect and combine small stacks of items of varying types into a single group of "mixed" items with random effectiveness, which could then be used by dwarves rather than cluttering the landscape.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7756 on: October 12, 2013, 07:23:02 am »

I have always wanted something like trees in the legend mode. Today, everybody (outcasts, religion, civilisations and groups) are on the same list, and the same level, and I find this quite disturbing. At least, a color code or a system of directory/sub directory would be welcome !

Even cooler would be cross-references that you select with the mouse and/or keyboard. For example, on Urist McAdventurer's history page,

In 938, Urist McAdventurer became an enemy in the eyes of The Cloistered Pages

And then you could select "The Cloistered Pages" and see their history page.

Eh, no, marriages can happen very quickly in fortress mode, if you only have a few dwarves, and micromanage them for best social effect.  I could get marriages in a year or so fairly regularly by having my dwarves do nothing but socialize, and grow food and make booze.  As soon as they were married though, BAM, time to stop socializing and get a job.  Dwarven children growing up in the fort would have highly developed social skills too, unlike new fortress dwarves.

But if others have seen 12 year old dwarves have kids that's fine too.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7757 on: October 12, 2013, 09:34:45 am »

Will all of the creatures have the gait stuff in their raws eventually? I understand if the humanoids just have those gait stuff at first because finding out the gaits of other stuff requires research that takes time. Also, gotta get the cheetahs speed in, right? :D
I believe all creatures will have gaits in the next version, though maybe not all perfectly-researched ones.
Quote from: Toady One, on 03/29/2013
In addition to cleaning up random unfunny bugs, I've been entering all of the gait data into the raws now that that part of combat is definitely settled. Creature variations can now take argument strings which replace argument markers in the variation definition (the arguments are different speed numbers in this case). The use of lines of the variation can also be made conditional on these arguments. There isn't enough resolution in the game's time system for speeds to make sense entirely, without letting critters like cheetahs understand moving more than one square per click. Fixing it isn't as easy as making projectiles go more than one tile per click. In any case, critters that should be faster than a dwarf or human at full speed are much faster at their full speed, while one creature's full speed is generally much faster than its walking speed, so it'll be an improvement.

Oh, missed that somehow when looking through the devlog posts.

It may just be a matter of looking up the numbers and translating them into whatever value he is using

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7758 on: October 12, 2013, 10:34:31 am »

Have you ever considered the possibility of creating a new class of object for those things which tend to create lots of clutter due to small stacks?  For example, "mixed" bones.  "mixed" arrows, etc.  This could be a part of the cleaning job (which might then get a small boost in it's priority?), to collect and combine small stacks of items of varying types into a single group of "mixed" items with random effectiveness, which could then be used by dwarves rather than cluttering the landscape.
Yes.
Req112, ITEM AGGREGATES, (Future): Need fake item stacks that combine items that aren't identical. There are a number of associated difficulties. Identical items should also be combined into actual stacks. These currently exist but are never reformed once they are broken part.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7759 on: October 13, 2013, 03:33:56 am »

Blessed are the cheesemakers, for they will be called children of Armok.

SHIT! I wish I'd thought of that one. My hat tips for you, good sir.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And here I thought it was a biblical reference.
Are references by proxy still references? It could make Godwin's law much more difficult to avoid.

First, they came for Cheesrmakers and I was silent because I was not a cheesemaker.

Then they came for Potashmakers and I was silent, because I was not a potashmaker.

Finaly they came for me, but I was dabbling armorsmith a went Ned Kelly on them.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7760 on: October 13, 2013, 04:40:35 am »

Ned Kelly?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7763 on: October 13, 2013, 12:21:22 pm »

So an early Ironman?

I hope toady and threetoe ok and the hospital visit was a routine checkup.

Will there be atleast a haloween story by Zach/threetoe?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 04:19:16 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7764 on: October 13, 2013, 07:55:25 pm »

"Zach's doing much better, though he'll still be laid up a couple weeks."

Glad to hear he is doing better, hope he recovers. :D

Is it okay if I ask what happened?

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7765 on: October 14, 2013, 02:34:58 am »

Am I right assuming a "digging-too-deep" related nose-picking joke wouldn't be appropriate now?

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7766 on: October 14, 2013, 02:48:00 am »

I hope the hospital was stocked with enough cat tallow soap and -pig tail cloth-.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7767 on: October 14, 2013, 04:33:15 am »

*pig tail cloth* would be more appropriate. It's Threetoes !

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7768 on: October 14, 2013, 07:34:27 am »

I hope he makes a speedy recover. Also I join in Moddan curiosity, if is not considered rude, in which case my most sincere apologies for asking.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7769 on: October 14, 2013, 09:28:15 am »

I hope he makes a speedy recover. Also I join in Moddan curiosity, if is not considered rude, in which case my most sincere apologies for asking.

Tarn and Zach have been minor celebrities for a while now, their expectation of privacy should be appropriately diminished. Maybe they will cobble together a press release for the forums.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 748