Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733376 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7770 on: October 14, 2013, 09:52:09 am »

Well, my concerns doesn't stems from a morbid curiosity worth only of the worst Hollywood tabloids :P

But it's true concern over their health, since I would love them to live for at least 200 years in order to keep making and improving DF!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7771 on: October 14, 2013, 05:58:10 pm »

Glad to hear Zach is doing better!

Will cities be repaired and rebuilt after siege damage in the upcoming release?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7772 on: October 15, 2013, 01:50:03 am »

"seeing the high priest impaled on a pole right in the temple grounds"

With this devlog showing "unique" deaths such as the priest impaled on a pole, will historical figures now have explanations of their deaths in legends mode? such as "impaled upon a pole by <attacking civ name here> as a message to <defending civ here>?
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7773 on: October 15, 2013, 01:52:44 am »

They already do, even down to the impaling on poles.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: October 15, 2013, 09:46:19 am »

They already do, even down to the impaling on poles.

Maybe he was asking for motives rather than descriptions, but I think they won't be implemented. So, until next time, we won't really know why goblin leatherworker #342 murdered his own succesful demon lord and then followed an uneventful life, just like before.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7775 on: October 16, 2013, 02:59:54 am »

*pig tail cloth* would be more appropriate. It's Threetoes !
Uh, no, anything other than *adamantine cloth* would be completely unacceptable.

We can rebuild him.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7776 on: October 16, 2013, 04:24:57 am »

We can rebuild him.
I have seen a story about a FB and a soldier who has been completely destroyed by an acid blood, and who had no flesh left on him. And the doctor put adamantine on him everywhere, making him a sort of skeleton of adamantine. Sort of Wolverine, I guess.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7777 on: October 17, 2013, 11:12:29 am »

*pig tail cloth* would be more appropriate. It's Threetoes !
Uh, no, anything other than *adamantine cloth* would be completely unacceptable.

We can rebuild him.

As if they would use anything else... for anyone. #1346
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7778 on: October 17, 2013, 11:30:57 am »

I don't know if this got answered already, With the ability to properly dual wield weapons, will marksdwarves use secondary weapons correctly as in a backup weapon (even if it's just a dagger)? Although I can see them trying to fight with both at the same time anyway.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7779 on: October 17, 2013, 12:26:34 pm »

The correct method for two handed range weapons would be to "drop it", either figuratively putting it on a holster or something or literally dropping it to the ground if something else you have is better at close range. I'm not sure, but this behavior doesn't seem to be coded yet for what I recall.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7780 on: October 17, 2013, 02:05:22 pm »

I don't know if this got answered already, With the ability to properly dual wield weapons, will marksdwarves use secondary weapons correctly as in a backup weapon (even if it's just a dagger)? Although I can see them trying to fight with both at the same time anyway.

Unless dual-wielding is slated for near-term development, it's unlikely that Toady can make any guarantees.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7781 on: October 17, 2013, 02:42:07 pm »

Before I posted this, I searched the eternal suggestions as well as this thread for this issues relating to what I call the MAW Bug: aka... Miner, Ambusher, Woodcutter Bug.  I should probably call it the MAWM bug: Miner, Ambusher, Woodcutter, Militia bug.

Anyways

People have described this issue as a bug, some say the game was intended to operate this way, with miners, ambushers, woodcutters dropping their equipment and/or refusing to pick up equipment when changing from military mode to laborer mode (even if uniform is worn over clothing).  It seems counter-intuitive that a dwarf should be removed from the militia, and re-added to fix some of these problems.

I'm not the only one who has experienced said issue.  In fact Splinterz Dwarf Therapist has it coded to exclude these labors from being assigned to each other for the added reason that if a miner wishes to do carpentry, he can't, because he's currently carrying a pick.

I consider it a "bug" where others might disagree, but it has created situations where it's pointless to try to have a dwarf who may be good at chopping wood down, and mining, and hunting, have all those labors, and/or be in the militia.  The militia one is what really gets me, because according to the wikipedia entry, the MINING labor increases the PICK use skill, which is great for in combat (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Pick), same goes for the hunter who increases his markmanship skill, and the woodcutter who chops with his axe... it's just extremely frustrating to not find a workaround...

So is there any hope that next release I can assign my miners to militia as well as be maybe a wood chopper too without any issues?  I would think a simple if check (for militia) for if the equipment currently being carried could be used for the military uniform, to not drop it, but keep it, should do.

References of other people having issue
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123769.msg4091194#msg4091194
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113093.msg3441776#msg344177
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122428.0
http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/1mykrn/tip_the_mmmm_squad_miner_militia_mover_mason/

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:55:56 pm by thistleknot »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7782 on: October 17, 2013, 03:19:32 pm »

So is there any hope that next release I can assign my miners to militia as well as be maybe a wood chopper too without any issues?  I would think a simple if check (for militia) for if the equipment currently being carried could be used for the military uniform, to not drop it, but keep it, should do.
This is bug 1451. And no, it's unlikely to be resolved in the next version - while Toady went into the dwarven brain, he didn't specifically work on the dwarven military much. There's an off-chance that it was resolved incidentally, but more likely, it seems a candidate for the bugfix period after the next version (since it does involve dwarven brains in a way).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7783 on: October 17, 2013, 08:14:59 pm »

This is bug 1451. And no, it's unlikely to be resolved in the next version - while Toady went into the dwarven brain, he didn't specifically work on the dwarven military much. There's an off-chance that it was resolved incidentally, but more likely, it seems a candidate for the bugfix period after the next version (since it does involve dwarven brains in a way).
Would't it be more a job issue?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7784 on: October 18, 2013, 12:23:30 pm »

Possibly. It's all quite interconnected, of course.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 748