Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3732892 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #780 on: March 21, 2012, 12:40:17 am »

Hehe if you have any Job that requires a Computer and a considerable amount of creativity your hardware is constantly at the brink of death. Thats just the genereal anti-technological field of creative people. Artists kill tablets and graphic-cards, Musicians Soundcards and speakers, programmers HDDs and CPUs, heck i know a writer who did go through 5 leopards in 2 years. Naturally you often find mixed types.

:P and i know this is unscientific.

Anyway good to see that toady is on track again, after the last devblog i was actually expecting the next version. Well got to wait some more days then.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 21, 2012, 01:37:50 am »

"As a legendary thrower, I can throw arrows from a long range and routinely chip bones, pierce hearts, and pierce skulls and brains." - is it a bug (IMHO this problem is so severe that it qualifies as a bug like #3992) or a feature request? I am asking as bug 5684 was closed as "Requests for balance changes generally go in the Suggestions forum.".
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 05:27:08 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 21, 2012, 02:41:13 am »

"As a legendary thrower, I can throw arrows from a long range and routinely chip bones, pierce hearts, and pierce skulls and brains." - is it a bug or a feature request? I am asking as bug 5684 was closed as "Requests for balance changes generally go in the Suggestions forum.".
That would be a request for balance change. You can tell because it was closed with the reason "Requests for balance changes generally go in the Suggestions forum.".
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:06:12 am by Cruxador »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 21, 2012, 02:54:49 am »

There was no need for the snide ending remark.

But... if it was closed as a feature change request, then I'm gonna also agree that it's not a bug, but a feature change request.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 21, 2012, 05:21:33 am »

if it was closed as a feature change request, then I'm gonna also agree that it's not a bug, but a feature change request.
I added "IMHO this problem is so severe that it qualifies as a bug like #3992".
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 21, 2012, 05:49:45 am »

if it was closed as a feature change request, then I'm gonna also agree that it's not a bug, but a feature change request.
I added "IMHO this problem is so severe that it qualifies as a bug like #3992".
If it's functioning as intended, then no amount of wishing will change it into a bug. A bug is when something isn't working as intended.

EDIT:
Also, this seems to be one of those quirky features that seen as more fun then game distrupting.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 21, 2012, 07:44:34 am »

Balance changes tread a fine line between bugfix and feature request. They can go either way, really. In the particular example, I would say that it is more of a feature request (I might have given it the benefit of doubt, though), in that it really depends on the ammunition if it is a suitable throwing weapon. An arrow may not be, a sling stone however... so that would be a feature to distinguish suitability for throwing between ammunition classes, and that leads to the question were the other item types are in that regard. (It kind of also intersects with the idea of supernatural fighting styles - a throwing-based supernatural fighting style could well include throwing arrows in a deadly fashion)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 21, 2012, 09:00:45 am »

Not to mention that there are specialized thrown weapons like knives, "stars" and darts. The later show some similiarity to bolts. I for one would pack this change into a (hopefully coming) weapon overhaul if anywhere.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #788 on: March 21, 2012, 10:50:18 am »

heck i know a writer who did go through 5 leopards in 2 years.
I see what you did there.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:53:55 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 21, 2012, 12:28:51 pm »

We should also bear in mind here that in DF "LEGENDARY" means just that - if you're a LEGENDARY dodger, you're pretty much Neo, and LEGENDARY masons can carve a masterwork stone table from a heap of rubble in less than a day using nothing but their bare hands. 

If middling throwers are routinely lobbing off peaople's limbs when tossing arrows about, then yeah, that'd be a bug, but you really can't look at the upper echelons of the skills to determine if something is functioning properly or not, because they are all representative of pretty much superhuman ability. 

In any case, that's all likely to be overhauled the next time combat gets looked at, which will be... sometime in the future.  A lot will probably change along with the combat/move speed split, and really, if you're looking for a problem with the current combat system, than that's it right there.  Until then, camels will be deadly ninjas, which is in my mind a much larger issue than imbalance in the throwing skill. 
where is up?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 21, 2012, 01:24:20 pm »

That would be a request for balance change. You can tell because it was closed with the reason "Requests for balance changes generally go in the Suggestions forum.".

The difference is, Footkerchief declared it a balance change, and Kogut is now trying to get Toady's opinion.  As in, Kogut wants a second opinion. 

Of course, I doubt Kogut would be bothering with such a thing if suggestions were acted upon with anything approaching the frequency of bug reports, but with the way that Bay12 works, getting things into the bug tracker or not is the difference between whether there is any chance they will ever be worked on or not.

Balance changes tread a fine line between bugfix and feature request. They can go either way, really. In the particular example, I would say that it is more of a feature request (I might have given it the benefit of doubt, though), in that it really depends on the ammunition if it is a suitable throwing weapon. An arrow may not be, a sling stone however... so that would be a feature to distinguish suitability for throwing between ammunition classes, and that leads to the question were the other item types are in that regard. (It kind of also intersects with the idea of supernatural fighting styles - a throwing-based supernatural fighting style could well include throwing arrows in a deadly fashion)

There's a difference between something that is simply a balance change, and things that are bizarre and unrealistic in a game that strives to have some realism.  When you can do things like throw vomit that caves in skulls, and a human hand throws things with more force than a weapon specifically designed to project weapons with more force than a human hand possibly can on its own, then it starts getting into the realm of "bug". 

That's why there was a comparison to the super-valuable beehive bug.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 21, 2012, 02:09:50 pm »

Of course, I doubt Kogut would be bothering with such a thing if suggestions were acted upon with anything approaching the frequency of bug reports, but with the way that Bay12 works, getting things into the bug tracker or not is the difference between whether there is any chance they will ever be worked on or not.

I don't think it's that simple.  Thousands of bugs have been lying around for years, and many suggestions have been implemented during that time.

There's a difference between something that is simply a balance change, and things that are bizarre and unrealistic in a game that strives to have some realism.  When you can do things like throw vomit that caves in skulls, and a human hand throws things with more force than a weapon specifically designed to project weapons with more force than a human hand possibly can on its own, then it starts getting into the realm of "bug". 

That's why there was a comparison to the super-valuable beehive bug.

Vomit that caves in skulls is much more of a bug, since it indicates that liquids/powders are having their material properties misapplied (along with mass and/or contact area being off by an order of magnitude).  Beehive value is also off by at least an order of magnitude.  The launcher vs. throwing issue (at least as presented in the report) is not an order-of-magnitude discrepancy -- the strongest claim made in the report is that "throwing is at least as effective".  As such, this is not unbalanced enough to warrant special attention before the ranged combat overhaul.

Also, ammunition has intrinsic problems that probably make the launching method a moot point.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:15:00 pm by Footkerchief »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 21, 2012, 02:22:54 pm »

Vomit that caves in skulls is much more of a bug, since it indicates that liquids/powders are having their material properties misapplied (along with mass and/or contact area being off by an order of magnitude).  Beehive value is also off by at least an order of magnitude.  The launcher vs. throwing issue (at least as presented in the report) is not an order-of-magnitude discrepancy -- the strongest claim made in the report is that "throwing is at least as effective".  As such, this problem is not severe enough to warrant special attention before the ranged combat overhaul.  Also, ammunition has intrinsic problems that probably make the launching method a moot point.

Arguing that something is not a large enough magnitude to classify as a bug is something much more fuzzy and gray than arguing that any sort of balance change/static value change is inherently a suggestion, and trying to get a second opinion on something that can be classified more as a judgment call is not something that can be as easily dismissed as Cruxador is trying to say.

I don't think it's that simple.  Thousands of bugs have been lying around for years, and many suggestions have been implemented during that time.

Perhaps there's a case to be made there, but I know what the mood is in this forum.  I've had plenty of posts or PMs telling me that people don't use suggestions because there's obviously no point, and that being sent off to the Suggestion Forum is an oblique way of telling an idea to go die. 

Most people don't even know of one suggestion that has been implemented, or if they do, only know of Underground Diversity.  ESV suggestions have not been worked upon (excepting general FPS optimization), and it basically seems like you can count on one hand the number of suggestions that actually were acted upon. 

If you want to argue against the notion that "Suggestions Are Always Ignored", don't do it to me, do it to the rest of the forums.  I'm the one called weird for even trying to use the Suggestion Forums at all anymore.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 21, 2012, 02:34:00 pm »

Arguing that something is not a large enough magnitude to classify as a bug is something much more fuzzy and gray than arguing that any sort of balance change/static value change is inherently a suggestion [...]

Yes, it's a fuzzy gray area.  Please don't put words in my mouth -- I said "requests for balance changes generally go in the Suggestions forum," because most balance problems are not bug-level.  I did not make an absolute statement like "any sort of balance change."

Perhaps there's a case to be made there, but I know what the mood is in this forum.  I've had plenty of posts or PMs telling me that people don't use suggestions because there's obviously no point, and that being sent off to the Suggestion Forum is an oblique way of telling an idea to go die. 

Most people don't even know of one suggestion that has been implemented, or if they do, only know of Underground Diversity.  ESV suggestions have not been worked upon (excepting general FPS optimization), and it basically seems like you can count on one hand the number of suggestions that actually were acted upon. 

If you want to argue against the notion that "Suggestions Are Always Ignored", don't do it to me, do it to the rest of the forums.  I'm the one called weird for even trying to use the Suggestion Forums at all anymore.

I was arguing against your statement, which you appeared to be making in your own words.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:46:54 pm by Footkerchief »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 21, 2012, 03:13:27 pm »

Yes, it's a fuzzy gray area.  Please don't put words in my mouth -- I said "requests for balance changes generally go in the Suggestions forum," because most balance problems are not bug-level.  I did not make an absolute statement like "any sort of balance change."

I was arguing against your statement, which you appeared to be making in your own words.

Things are not quite that simple.  I was arguing in justification of Kogut's statement in response to your statement against Cruxador's argument.  There's at least four people in this little dance.

Besides that, though, I suppose there might be some merit to the notion that people are now arguing that even bug reports are pointless.

There is an undercurrent of frustration, bitterness, and negativity on this forum that seriously undercuts much of the creative endeavors, and I see much of that being fed especially by the "face" of Bay 12 in the form of those who are moderators or "old guard" driving people away from the forums, which does not do Toady the service they think they are doing.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 748