Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3726829 times)

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #795 on: March 21, 2012, 04:27:23 pm »

There's at least four people in this little dance.

There is an undercurrent of frustration, bitterness, and negativity on this forum that seriously undercuts much of the creative endeavors, and I see much of that being fed especially by the "face" of Bay 12 in the form of those who are moderators or "old guard" driving people away from the forums, which does not do Toady the service they think they are doing.

Five!

I am slightly inclined to agree with the second because of the treatment that I got from some 'big' forum names so far. And only slightly because I have not been here long enough, and it would be too early for me to accuse people of stuff just yet. Not nice!

I always thought that the biggest bit in the bug/suggestion problem is that virtually all bugs should be fixed, whereas majority of suggestions are junk that would please little, displease many, and take away from the bugfixing time.

However, however you look at it, suggestions are not going to get much attention. Whether the suggestions are many and bad, or whether devs dont give it much attention.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 21, 2012, 05:03:00 pm »

There is an undercurrent of frustration, bitterness, and negativity on this forum that seriously undercuts much of the creative endeavors, and I see much of that being fed especially by the "face" of Bay 12 in the form of those who are moderators or "old guard" driving people away from the forums, which does not do Toady the service they think they are doing.

agree on this point, not as pronounced here as with other forums, (speaking of which, i find it funny when older forum users yell at me for knowing nothing about games i have been playing since i was 4, because i just made an account, but i digress.) still brings up an interesting point about assuming based on account creation date.

the main issue seems to be with older players who took a hiatus of some sort, and may have been around at a time in development when things were different, or that they stick to a small portion of the forums and lose scope of what is happening in other areas, (like how i know little about stuff happening on several of the forum subsections.) this i noticed due to some people who act quite hostile towards these 'user-studies' or 'blackbox testing' acts are quite active and polite in another forum section.

i do have a quite simple solution to all of the above issues.

if you don't like the context of a greened question, or a science thread, ignore it, let toady/footkerchief, respond to it, or explain respectfully why you disagree with their idea in the case of suggestions.

saying simply "this is stupid, get off the forum.", or "suggestions never get implemented.", or something like that really doesn't help progress the development of DF, forum goers have fixed several critical bugs in DF, even code related ones, and have actually been a driving force in many subtle ways to DF's development.

so please, think before you post.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 21, 2012, 05:35:33 pm »

I am really excited about these new changes. Especially the taming and potential domestication of exotic pets. However, I had a question about it and I don't know if this has already been answered here or in another forum. I'm going to use Giant Desert Scorpions as an example.

Lets say I make several fortresses in one world over the course of many (in game) decades where I do nothing but capture and tame Giant Desert Scorpions. Now if I am reading what was posted about the new taming rules correctly then eventually my dwarven civ will consider these creatures domesticated. This potentially means that I can trade with my civ for these creatures.

My question stands as this: If I trade for these desert type creatures and I live in a temperate climate will these animals just up and die on me from climate shift?
I use Giant Desert Scorpions in my example, but this could really apply to any exotic creature that occurs only in specific biomes. A yeti caught in an arctic biome and transfered to a desert could be just as relavent.

Sorry if this has been covered/general knowledge. I have looked for it but have not seen it mentioned on these forums or the wiki.
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 21, 2012, 05:57:58 pm »

Nah, they're scorpions, there are quite resistant to different climates.

Also deserts aren't divided between tropical and nontropical, hence GDS can appear on cold or scorching biomes.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 21, 2012, 06:10:05 pm »

A minor point:

Now if I am reading what was posted about the new taming rules correctly then eventually my dwarven civ will consider these creatures domesticated.

You don't actually get to make exotics "domesticated" all the way, so if you're talking about abandoning an embark, and starting a new one and importing some of your old, tamed, creatures, then, depending on how much time has passed, they might have regressed back down to semi-wild or wild.

Spoiler: Toady Quote (click to show/hide)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: March 21, 2012, 06:58:42 pm »

Putting this into a spoiler for the thread's sake.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:00:14 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 21, 2012, 11:51:55 pm »

All that said, I notice the dev log mentions site export maps! YAY! I asked about them in the last FotF thread and said he'd put them in, but they were missing so I thought he changed his mind. I wonder how they work though. I won't ask directly though, since it seems we'll be getting the next release soon-ish (according to 3/17's dev log).

Edit: By "how they work," I'm wondering if you export them like any other export map or if you need to select the site first then an export option is there.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:06:05 am by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 22, 2012, 12:54:34 am »

Also for the sake of the thread.

I'm super keen for the new update. Toady is pulling out some magic fixing up these important areas of the game. I'm interested to know what he's planning to do next. I hope its making it so prisoners get given food and water. I know you can put 2 tile stockpiles in their cells as a fix, but it never seems to work right for me (other people eating there, other stockpiles being prioritized)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 22, 2012, 02:07:31 am »

There's little point in spoilering things to stop a conversation if you're just going to keep the conversation going, anyway - either you keep mum, or you don't.  (And anyway, this topic shouldn't be too inflammatory...)

I agree whole heartedly. Many of the major balancing issues are quite well known, but just balancing them now may only work temporarily and be a wasted effort as newer planned features or overhauls are completed. I do think they are important, but fixing them now is more of a patch then a fix and may actually go the opposite way of making it harder in the future if to many raws or features are changed in the vanilla DF.

Some issues are easier to fix than others.  Although I obviously don't know the exact composition of the hard-coded aspects of DF, something like projectile velocity (whether it is ballista bolts or thrown objects) is probably something as simple to fix as just changing a single variable.  Even if that effort is "wasted" in the long run, multiplying projectile velocity by twice as much or half as much wouldn't be a significant amount of time wasted.

I'm also not sure how much of a place-holder the throwing code is right now.  Unless Toady wants to put in parabolic arcs over the z-axis on thrown objects, as well as things like catapults (which, granted, he might), this may well be code that sticks around. (Even if he does, he might still use much of the same code for overall initial force calculations.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 22, 2012, 02:37:43 am »

There's little point in spoilering things to stop a conversation if you're just going to keep the conversation going, anyway - either you keep mum, or you don't.  (And anyway, this topic shouldn't be too inflammatory...)

The reason I spoilered it is because it's more turning into a long winded arguement between people about elitist posters and a bugs or suggestion debate, which doesnt fit with the topic. And by keeping it spoilered it keeps the post short, people who dont care for it can ignore it, and it allows for new posts related to the "Future of the fortress" to start back up again.

Some issues are easier to fix than others.  Although I obviously don't know the exact composition of the hard-coded aspects of DF, something like projectile velocity (whether it is ballista bolts or thrown objects) is probably something as simple to fix as just changing a single variable.  Even if that effort is "wasted" in the long run, multiplying projectile velocity by twice as much or half as much wouldn't be a significant amount of time wasted.

I'm also not sure how much of a place-holder the throwing code is right now.  Unless Toady wants to put in parabolic arcs over the z-axis on thrown objects, as well as things like catapults (which, granted, he might), this may well be code that sticks around. (Even if he does, he might still use much of the same code for overall initial force calculations.)

Your right in that he could go any way with it. But I dont think it'd be that easy, is it only velocity (in the game) that is causing all the damage or a mixture of a couple of values? Would halfing the value also stop shattered bones and insta-kills? It wouldnt fix problems such as having no throwning skill and being super accurate and killing people . And knowing how Toady works if he was to target the problem he would also probably go for mass completion of the problem. Probably a system that draws more heavily on attribute values, strength how far thrown/damage, spatial sense/focus on accuracy etc.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 22, 2012, 03:09:06 am »

Your right in that he could go any way with it. But I dont think it'd be that easy, is it only velocity (in the game) that is causing all the damage or a mixture of a couple of values? Would halfing the value also stop shattered bones and insta-kills? It wouldnt fix problems such as having no throwning skill and being super accurate and killing people . And knowing how Toady works if he was to target the problem he would also probably go for mass completion of the problem. Probably a system that draws more heavily on attribute values, strength how far thrown/damage, spatial sense/focus on accuracy etc.

I'm fairly sure that the game currently works on a "Force = Mass x Acceleration Velocity" formula.  Bolts may be slightly too massive for their size, what with the whole "the entire weapon is made of metal instead of just the pointy parts" issue, but things like rocks are generally accurate, for the arbitrary size of rock that you always seem to pick up. 

I am pretty sure that strength and overall body size already does play a part in weapons, in that it determines a maximum velocity based upon the mass of the object being swung.  I have done no testing on this, but it makes sense for this to apply to thrown objects, as well. 

Accuracy is something decoupled/decouplable from the force equation.  Accuracy seems to be based upon whether or not the projectile diverges from the direct flight path to the target tile sufficiently to actually be flying into a different tile from the target or not, with some additional straight skill checks for things like passing through a fortification arrow slit from range or what seems to be an opposed dodge/block roll for the target to evade damage.  When talking about the specifics of accuracy in terms of divergent flight, though, the calibration of the difference between extreme attribute and skill levels may need adjusting, as well. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 22, 2012, 03:42:14 am »

Armor were designed not only to stop damage by offering resistance, but also to deflect blows and projectiles. I don't think DF simulates this deflecting characteristic - it only considers the resistance of the materials of the weapon and the armor.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 22, 2012, 03:42:36 am »

Toady, can you expand on what you mean by more consistent led creature behaviour?

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 22, 2012, 04:00:23 am »

Armor were designed not only to stop damage by offering resistance, but also to deflect blows and projectiles. I don't think DF simulates this deflecting characteristic - it only considers the resistance of the materials of the weapon and the armor.

Yeah, especially against ranged metal armor should deflect a lot of imcoming projectiles if they don't impact with a good angle(90°). At the moment metal bolts pretty much always completely piece any kind of armour making life even for a well armoured adventured excitingly short. A simulated angle based on luck, attacker and defender skill(dodge, armour) might lead to some more deflections.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 22, 2012, 11:29:32 am »

I'm fairly sure that's what the armor user skill is for - in adventurer mode, you tend to get a lot of "deflect the blow" reports.

I haven't done testing on the subject, but I am given the impression that, with the "angle of the blow" mechanics, armor user makes the angle less menacing, and I don't know this, but the hardness of the armor should rationally give a bonus in this regard.

(Who feels up for some arena science?)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 748