Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735741 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8085 on: November 26, 2013, 03:00:05 am »

No, I was just using unconsciousness as an example.  ALL syndromes last 72 times longer in adventure mode than they do in fortress mode.  This is a result of the discrepancy between adventure mode and fort mode timing, an adventure mode day is 72 times longer than a fort mode day (when measured in ticks).  For some reason, Toady decided to make syndrome times be based off of a given percentage of a day's length rather than the number of ticks.  For syndromes that are supposed to only last a few frames, a minor support spell in fort mode can turn into a party-wiper in adventure, especially since interaction recharge time is based on the number of ticks, regardless of mode.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: November 26, 2013, 12:07:28 pm »

Can we make a creature capable of jumping up multiple z-levels and attacking enemies by stomping on their heads??

That particular verb is probably a Nopes. There a whole thing about respecting difference in body sizes and what not and this sounds like it would relate to that, even if your example wasnt about different sized creatures fighting.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8087 on: November 26, 2013, 02:10:28 pm »

Someone besides Toady can probably answer this, but I've read through the devlog and I'm not 100% clear on it.

Will tracking and/or player proximity to alerts be used by e.g. occupation patrols or town guards to associate the player with adv mode killings that did not have witnesses?

ed: Referring to this upcoming release, of course.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:22:56 pm by Nasikabatrachus »
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: November 26, 2013, 02:28:28 pm »

Pretty sure that's a no. There's been no mention of that kind of detective work. So as long as you're not seen, you're presumed innocent. For now.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8089 on: November 26, 2013, 05:42:08 pm »

Someone besides Toady can probably answer this, but I've read through the devlog and I'm not 100% clear on it.

Will tracking and/or player proximity to alerts be used by e.g. occupation patrols or town guards to associate the player with adv mode killings that did not have witnesses?

It has to be directly seen.  Suspicion won't happen until the Thief role gets more attention.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8090 on: November 26, 2013, 06:19:18 pm »

It has to be directly seen.  Suspicion won't happen until the Thief role gets more attention.

So, can you sneak in at night, steal all the clothes off of the local lord (lol!), stick around, and when the local lord wakes up, you won't be labelled a thief? Or alternatively, steal all the clothes and then get out before dawn.

Although the only way to remove someones stuff from inventory (or pickpocket even) is by attacking an using wrestling to rip the item off of them. Don't know about the new non-lethal combat, but it would help if you did it in a way that did not make you an enemy of your own civ.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8091 on: November 27, 2013, 02:27:18 am »

So, can you sneak in at night, steal all the clothes off of the local lord (lol!), stick around, and when the local lord wakes up, you won't be labelled a thief? Or alternatively, steal all the clothes and then get out before dawn.

Although the only way to remove someones stuff from inventory (or pickpocket even) is by attacking an using wrestling to rip the item off of them. Don't know about the new non-lethal combat, but it would help if you did it in a way that did not make you an enemy of your own civ.

I'm pretty sure you can already "steal" whatever you want in adventure mode that's not a $$shopitem$$, so if sleeping people you attack don't remember that you have attacked them in the next release, you could probably strip the Law-Giver of his clothes and walk in wearing them the next day without any untoward effects.

Just make sure the LG isn't a runaway circus clown.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: November 27, 2013, 03:35:22 am »

Just tried the wrestle to steal clothes off of someone while sleeping and nobody else can see me, it made me an enemy of the civ :P

powell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8093 on: November 27, 2013, 01:39:52 pm »

Are you going to work on world gen optimization after the current release arc?  I miss being able to generate thousands of years in 40d without slowing down, I can hardly make it to 200 years in the current release.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: November 27, 2013, 01:52:55 pm »

Last night I dreamed that I refreshed the devlog and ThreeToe had posted dozens of updates, dating back to like September, including drawings and stuff.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8095 on: November 27, 2013, 02:30:33 pm »

Last night I dreamed that I refreshed the devlog and ThreeToe had posted dozens of updates, dating back to like September, including drawings and stuff.

Oh, that's the secret hidden devlog. You have to leftclick on the big Dwarf in the corner, then type "SCAMPSISAGOODKITTY" into the invisible dialogue box. He's got like a courtroom sketch artist illustrating his bugtesting. I particularly liked the "insult duel" update from a few days ago.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: November 27, 2013, 06:08:52 pm »

Just tried the wrestle to steal clothes off of someone while sleeping and nobody else can see me, it made me an enemy of the civ :P

Doesn't attacking (including wrestling) someone currently make you the civ's enemy anyway?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8097 on: November 27, 2013, 06:40:27 pm »

Doesn't attacking (including wrestling) someone currently make you the civ's enemy anyway?

I know it does, just wanted to check the while sleeping bit, and I thought it might work if nobody saw me. Short of using DFhack, the only way, as an adventurer, to remove items from someone elses inventory is attacking with a wrestling move.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: November 27, 2013, 09:22:11 pm »

I know it does, just wanted to check the while sleeping bit, and I thought it might work if nobody saw me. Short of using DFhack, the only way, as an adventurer, to remove items from someone else's inventory is attacking with a wrestling move.

Or chopping the relevant hand off. That works too.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8099 on: November 27, 2013, 10:03:32 pm »

I know it does, just wanted to check the while sleeping bit, and I thought it might work if nobody saw me. Short of using DFhack, the only way, as an adventurer, to remove items from someone else's inventory is attacking with a wrestling move.

Or chopping the relevant hand off. That works too.
Stab in the eye, shattering the skull and tearing the brain, then pick up items and repeat ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 748