Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3715152 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8130 on: December 01, 2013, 10:58:07 am »

When giving Megabeasts intelligence comes into play, do you have any plans for Forgotten Beasts?
Similarly, will it be possible to play as a megabeast or another historical creature? Minotaurs, demons and Cacame come to mind...

Cacame, or in other words a historical figure, is planned with no timeline. At a guess that goes for megabeasts as well.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8131 on: December 01, 2013, 11:05:20 am »

When giving Megabeasts intelligence comes into play, do you have any plans for Forgotten Beasts?

If you mean the [INTELLIGENT] token, you can mod that in now. Having [INTELLIGENT] and [CAN_LEARN] FBs would be scary.

I saw in a devlog several weeks back that you had fixed cavern populations going extinct in adventure mode (YAY!), I'm wondering if it would now be possible to encounter FBs while roaming the caverns in the next version?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8132 on: December 01, 2013, 11:29:36 am »

The troll shearing pits have captured my curiosity, so Are all the named sapients such as Trolls, Gnomes, Troglodytes and Merfolk higher up on the development lists then random animal people? Will fleshing out independent civs or tribes be on the table, especially if they correspond with other arcs such as the sea?

By the way, I'm talking about Megabeast plots and throwing around of weight. My questions are more on the lines of whether forgotten beasts will rule antmen civ's much as clowns do above, or whether Megabeasts could actively conspire to become forgotten beasts by lying low and torching histories, say. Thanks, I'll edit it in.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 09:41:50 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8133 on: December 01, 2013, 08:23:12 pm »

Thanks Toady for taking time out of your day to answer.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8134 on: December 01, 2013, 08:56:46 pm »

The troll shearing pits have captured my curiosity, so Are all the named sapients such as trolls, gnomes and troglodytes higher up on the development lists then random animal people? Will fleshing out independent civs or tribes be on the table?

By the way, I'm talking about Megabeast plots and throwing around of weight. My questions are more on the lines of whether forgotten beasts will rule antmen civ's much as clowns do above, or whether Megabeasts could actively conspire to become forgotten beasts by lying low and torching histories, say. Thanks, I'll edit it in.

That fleshening probably wont happen in this release. As far as I understood, Toady said that it has taken too long, and caverns/kobold sites haven't been touched yet, but they're already on the list, so maybe animal men (which are lower in priority) might not get a better social structure.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8135 on: December 02, 2013, 12:07:29 pm »

The troll shearing pits have captured my curiosity, so Are all the named sapients such as trolls, gnomes and troglodytes higher up on the development lists then random animal people? Will fleshing out independent civs or tribes be on the table?

That fleshening probably wont happen in this release. As far as I understood, Toady said that it has taken too long, and caverns/kobold sites haven't been touched yet, but they're already on the list, so maybe animal men (which are lower in priority) might not get a better social structure.

Don't worry, i know that. Just seems to have been coming up recently, and bear in mind I'm asking about everything but animal men.
Reading a thinner book

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8136 on: December 02, 2013, 11:00:30 pm »

AND another devblog!! Praise the Miners!  Thanks Toady!

Also, I've seen enough film noir to know that the violent offender might get you where it was you thought you needed to be going, but it might not turn out the way you expected it to.  Good catch.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: December 03, 2013, 08:11:57 am »

Quote from: devlog
people recommending violent criminals as guides, [...] rulers holding court in taverns, constant tearing down of keeps and mead halls in an alternating fashion year by year

Pffhaha, sounds like the Wild West arrived in Dwarf Fortress.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: December 03, 2013, 10:47:14 am »

Quote from: Toady One 12-3-2013 Devlog
The whole world will be a sock outside during a siege.

Well there's my quote of the day! Think I'll sig it, even.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8139 on: December 03, 2013, 10:48:04 am »

people recommending violent criminals as guides, [...] rulers holding court in taverns, constant tearing down of keeps and mead halls in an alternating fashion year by year

Pffhaha, sounds like the Wild West arrived in Dwarf Fortress.

Having violent criminals as guides and holding court in taverns, yes, the constant tearing down of keeps and mead halls, no.

Will the new Dwarven, Elven, and Goblin sites have meadhalls/taverns or the equivalent of them? Not counting conquered human towns. Also, will the Dwarven sites have temples or equivalent?

I don't see the Elves as having temples, though maybe they'd have a sacred grove or something and the Goblins don't follow any deities anyway.

Dwarven beerhalls/taverns are a must have.
:D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:50:55 am by smjjames »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8140 on: December 03, 2013, 10:52:07 am »

I'm already picturing, you send Urist McRelief to find some help, he returns running, from a dragon, a undead one.... EXTRA FUN!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8141 on: December 03, 2013, 12:36:24 pm »

That was a quick new devlog.

Will the new Dwarven, Elven, and Goblin sites have meadhalls/taverns or the equivalent of them? Not counting conquered human towns. Also, will the Dwarven sites have temples or equivalent?

I don't see the Elves as having temples, though maybe they'd have a sacred grove or something and the Goblins don't follow any deities anyway.

Dwarven beerhalls/taverns are a must have.
:D
Dwarven hillocks, and presumably deep sites, will have the fake taverns where drunks are gathering. Elven sites likely won't have temples in any case - force-worshipping town-dwelling civs do not build temples right now. Goblins might get temples - they sometimes pick up religions from their abductees, and demon lords get worshipped as well (they used to have temples back when they had sites, too).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8142 on: December 03, 2013, 02:30:32 pm »

12/03/2013 Toady One I handled very basic companion orders today, in conversation and in practice. You can just tell them to wait in a place or follow you again, but the framework is the same one already used by every army, so if there were any point to issuing orders having your buddies patrol an area or occupy a city or something on their own right now, it would just take adding the conversation choices for it to be done. I might get some more out of the system for this time when I finalize site-to-site fighting, but it won't be interesting until you are able to run your own group out of your own site, which is planned for some release after this one. The same stuff will also work for fort-mode dwarves once you can send them off map, and it was nice to get the very first taste of that sort of interaction today, even if it is still down the road. It's fun to imagine your little dwarfy critters off on their own with even less control over their shenanigans, and what sort of trouble they could bring back to your doorstep, he he he. The whole world will be a sock outside during a siege. In any case, back in current release land, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to give your companions items in a day or so, so that's good.

Really cool stuff.  I'm curious whether there's any disobedience mechanism yet for the companion orders, and whether they can disobey without full-on leaving your group.  This release is creating so much fertile ground for personality-based storytelling -- in this case, a stew of intersecting values (trust, patience, loyalty) and circumstances (the promised reward, opportunities for betrayal). 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 02:56:31 pm by Footkerchief »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8143 on: December 03, 2013, 02:37:07 pm »

Wow, three logs in three days?
Maybe DF2013 will still happen after all.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: December 03, 2013, 02:49:57 pm »

Nah, see, whenever the post count is high, code must be going slowly (usually), or at least is on a not so dense phase.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 748