Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3730715 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8175 on: December 05, 2013, 06:05:58 am »

I hope to see it implemented one day as your own companions having the ability to loot or to buy their own equipment. Maybe they would have a right to loot the corpses of every one they killed, to not conflict with the player's will to loot everything.

Not only them, but every npc. His town is gonna being invaded soon? It's better to trade that plow away for a sword.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: December 05, 2013, 06:39:33 am »

Especially since the idea of being able to trade anything with anyone goes a little beyond equipping companions, and can be a giant project on it's own.
I'm pretty sure that trading with everyone was the easiest way of implementing companion equipment - the trade dialog option and the interface was already in place, Toady probably just removed the store requirement and he was good to go. It's a long requested feature and it makes sense to introduce it now that Toady has reworked groups and entity interaction.

2: I never said to buy all the weapons from everyone. I'm saying if you need to kill some Urist McVampire or McGangLeader, you can get his weapons, and then attack him freely.
Is this a bad thing? I'm reminded of some old trickster folk tales. Trading for a weapon before attacking sounds like something Odysseus could have done. I don't think it's out of place.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: December 05, 2013, 07:37:23 am »

Shops will be more likely to have something besides just the clothes on their back to trade. Besides, Toady explicitly stated that this is a temporary situation: it'll change later when he has more time to devote to that, rather than postpone the new release even longer.
The most logical time to fix this would be in the Merchant Arc, which is probably years away. And there is nothing that can last longer than a temporary situation.

I think that instead of postponing the release, the feature should just be shelved, until it can be introduced without these problems. Especially since the idea of being able to trade anything with anyone goes a little beyond equipping companions, and can be a giant project on it's own.

People want to be able to equip their companions. The possibility that some players might not be able to keep themselves from (potentially) exploiting the feature isn't a good reason to leave it out.

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8178 on: December 05, 2013, 07:45:36 am »

Especially since the idea of being able to trade anything with anyone goes a little beyond equipping companions, and can be a giant project on it's own.
I'm pretty sure that trading with everyone was the easiest way of implementing companion equipment - the trade dialog option and the interface was already in place, Toady probably just removed the store requirement and he was good to go. It's a long requested feature and it makes sense to introduce it now that Toady has reworked groups and entity interaction.
Oh, that would make sense how that would work.
Still think that the equipping companions and free trading should probably not be on the same line.

2: I never said to buy all the weapons from everyone. I'm saying if you need to kill some Urist McVampire or McGangLeader, you can get his weapons, and then attack him freely.
Is this a bad thing? I'm reminded of some old trickster folk tales. Trading for a weapon before attacking sounds like something Odysseus could have done. I don't think it's out of place.
It kind of requires awareness of the trickery. Some restrictions as not everyone might want to trade, some psychology, such as a recognition that you are a stranger who's trying to get your weapon, and so on. With that, it could be really cool. As it is now, it just makes the game even easier for dealing with initially non-hostile creatures.

People want to be able to equip their companions. The possibility that some players might not be able to keep themselves from (potentially) exploiting the feature isn't a good reason to leave it out.
Well, okay. I'll shut up on this, but it's not as much about exploits. It's just a really bad placeholder that removes some of the systems from the game, (need for stores,) and adds placeholder feature that will have a lot of time sunk into it when the "temporary situation" is resolved..
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 07:47:07 am by Anatoli »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: December 05, 2013, 08:34:12 am »

Just donated to thank Toady for the return of frequent devlogs. I think it helps to keep enthusiam about the game over the long development cycles.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: December 05, 2013, 10:49:25 am »

The latest log made me giggle.

They love you so much they fight to the death over who gets to follow you and who must stay.  At least according to my headcanon.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: December 05, 2013, 11:11:53 am »

Whoo, Toady is on a roll with the devlogs! :) I wonder if he read the couple of people who were complaining about the lack of devlogs and decided to do more of them. In any case, as long as Toady One enjoys writing the devlogs, all is good. :)

Quote from: Toady One 12/5/13 devlog
I mixed opponent's bragging about prior violent acts into the new conversation setup (which means they won't drone on and on in a separate screen).
So, does that mean they'll brag and say something like 'I killed Montoya, whose father I slew!' within the combat logs? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

Quote from: Toady One 12/5/13 devlog
fixed an odd bug where telling one companion to wait while having another companion follow you caused them to hack at each other until only one was left, due to the waiting companion thinking of itself as an army camp guard and getting all antsy about the suspicious activity along his very short patrol route.

Lol, just, lol! Keep up the great devlogs man. :D

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8182 on: December 05, 2013, 12:54:30 pm »

*hopes for this marking the end(ing) of the list and making DF2013 happen*

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: December 05, 2013, 01:11:11 pm »

*hopes for this marking the end(ing) of the list and making DF2013 happen*

People keep referring to the next release as "DF2013". But is it really going to be called that? I doubt we'll see a release before January, at the least. So wouldn't "DF2014" be more appro?

Anyway, haven't the development cycles typically been more like 2 years for major releases?
DF2010... DF2012... DF2014 ?  ???

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: December 05, 2013, 01:24:31 pm »

That's what he meant by "making DF2013 happen," he's hoping the devlogs indicate increased progress so we'll get the release in time to call it DF2013 instead of DF2014. Though I think I favor DF:XMAS if it comes out before the new year.

I think he's still on list stuff, though, and isn't on pre-release cleanup yet. I still have hope for DF2013, but I'm an admitted optimistic fool, so there ya go.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: December 05, 2013, 01:30:29 pm »

Exactly.
Though DF2014 appears to be a progressively more likely of a name. Which is saddening to say the least, but alas, it's going to be very much worth it.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8186 on: December 05, 2013, 08:08:55 pm »

Quick question here: Did Toady rewrite the mountain environments? For some reason I want to think that he stated he did in a response several months ago. Did he ever release a screenshot or set of screenshots demonstrating the new environment?

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8187 on: December 05, 2013, 08:38:36 pm »

With enemy forces invading towns, will they be bringing with them siege weapons? If so, can the location of their construction be traced, or are they generated?

Thank you in advance, Toady.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8188 on: December 05, 2013, 08:45:09 pm »

With enemy forces invading towns, will they be bringing with them siege weapons? If so, can the location of their construction be traced, or are they generated?

Thank you in advance, Toady.

No, I don't think so. If siege weapons were involved at all, they'd probably be updated to 3D to go with, and there hasn't been mention of siege weapons at all.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8189 on: December 05, 2013, 08:56:34 pm »

Siege weapons and all that goes along with it is a pretty massive and game-changing project, we'll definitely know when that starts getting developed :>
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 748