Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3732482 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8190 on: December 05, 2013, 11:00:07 pm »

Quick question here: Did Toady rewrite the mountain environments? For some reason I want to think that he stated he did in a response several months ago. Did he ever release a screenshot or set of screenshots demonstrating the new environment?

Do you mean the mountain biome, or dwarf mountain halls?  Mountain halls have been updated.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8191 on: December 06, 2013, 07:28:56 am »

Siege weapons would be touched most probably when the "army arc comes around".
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: December 06, 2013, 09:50:05 am »

Quick question here: Did Toady rewrite the mountain environments? For some reason I want to think that he stated he did in a response several months ago. Did he ever release a screenshot or set of screenshots demonstrating the new environment?

Do you mean the mountain biome, or dwarf mountain halls?  Mountain halls have been updated.

Yeah, I meant the mountain biomes. Sounds like they didn't get an update, so they'll still be the mostly barren, empty lands they've been for a while.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: December 06, 2013, 10:53:00 am »

I like the fact that we can see news more often. Even if I know that debugging is not something you write a lot about (but which is necessary to do), it's good to have fresh news from you. Thank you, Toady !

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: December 06, 2013, 10:54:04 am »

Did you ever get around to finishing off the multi-tile trees from way-back when?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: December 06, 2013, 10:57:58 am »

What was there left to finish off about them? :>

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: December 06, 2013, 11:21:35 am »

Did you ever get around to finishing off the multi-tile trees from way-back when?
What was there left to finish off about them? :>
This, they're implemented in the current release. I think they got finished off months ago during development.

The only things that could be left to finish off are very minor details. They're climbable, have flowers and fruit, change colors in the fall, have snow accumulate on them, leaves fall off of them....

Also, new devlog. I wonder if the bookkeeping stuff is among the final things on the list.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 11:45:44 am by smjjames »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8197 on: December 06, 2013, 11:59:47 am »

palms, cacti, that sort of thing.

we were promised pictures :(

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: December 06, 2013, 12:08:48 pm »

I guess you do have a point. Toady One did mention coconuts in the devlogs a while back, so the palm trees have been touched on.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:27:16 pm by smjjames »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8199 on: December 06, 2013, 12:19:08 pm »

These two devlogs?

Quote from: Toady One, 09/25/2012 and 09/28/2012
Been toying around with the trees. I've been working with one set of rules for growing them so far, but I'll be expanding the parameters and pictures soon (for pines, saguaros, tower caps, etc). In the meantime here are some preliminary images. Issues include grass not being dry below trees, branches looping when they shouldn't, 48x48 boundaries being too visible, crowns hitting other artificial boundaries, and so on, but it is going okay so far. Nothing is final (and it can all be changed in the raws), but the 1/4 tiles are branches heavy enough to climb (but they still have some leaves), the single lines are heavy enough to climb on but won't have leaves/fruit, the semi-colons are too light for climbing (I haven't started climbing yet), and the little pentagons are parts of the trunk that slope or taper.
Worked through the raws and getting the vegetation on the screen linked up to the plant definitions so that all the different pictures work. I'm not sure how many different leaf pictures I'll end up using (such as a different picture for pine needles), but those options are now functioning fine. I've got a list of a dozen or so parameters for growth that I should be implementing tonight. Then I'll need to do roots and fruit and flowers and so on.

Given the context, I think pictures doesn't refer to screenshots here. It kind of sounds like Toady was talking about the default tiles? Anyway, I'm pretty sure that it's done - Toady mentioned that the tree parameters can create "(somewhat half-assed) saguaros."
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8200 on: December 06, 2013, 09:42:25 pm »

Hmm, a question the other day bringing up heritable succession, and other types of succession by extension, of positions filled in Fortress got me thinking of some of the lingering concerns I'd had about this.  In earlier FothF, some parts of the reply had been "I'll get into other details sometime this release, probably".  Sooo...

Toady, has development come to a satisfactory state, for now at least, in regards to succession of offices currently held in player Fortresses?  Previous FotF replies had made mention of conflicts for the successor.  In this context I took that to mean not so much fighting among candidates, but conflict with another position the succession candidate already holds, i.e. Baron dies, nephew would inherit Barony, nephew is already Trade Liaison to another Fortress.  Does the nephew quit one and take the other?  Does he hold both?  Will we see Nobles holding positions in absentia?

Related to this, what effect will off-site Nobles, holding an office associated to the player Fortress, have on the player Fortress?  If the late Countess' second cousin twice removed does indeed succeed the title, she's then listed in the Nobles menu?  Will you be able to see her in the Units screen?  Is the unit fully realized from the moment of assignment, i.e. relationships, description, labors etc. or upon arrival?  Will she have room requirements even before she arrives (if at all)?  Can she make mandates from afar?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8201 on: December 07, 2013, 03:31:58 am »

Dear Fearless Toady One,

In the next release, will there be any alternate options to advance a world's timeline besides playing as an adventurer and playing through fortress mode (including, of course, the "skip to next spring" thing when starting new forts)? Will there be options e.g. to "retire for one year" as an adventurer or to advance time indefinitely in Legends mode? What are your views on player interaction with long stretches of in-world time?
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8202 on: December 07, 2013, 03:36:44 am »

Dear Fearless Toady One,

In the next release, will there be any alternate options to advance a world's timeline besides playing as an adventurer and playing through fortress mode (including, of course, the "skip to next spring" thing when starting new forts)? Will there be options e.g. to "retire for one year" as an adventurer or to advance time indefinitely in Legends mode? What are your views on player interaction with long stretches of in-world time?

I think there's already been an answer to that and there hasn't been any mention, so no (at least so far).

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8203 on: December 07, 2013, 05:39:40 am »

palms, cacti, that sort of thing.

we were promised pictures :(
Redwoods too, and highwoods because apparently redwoods aren't majestic enough. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get fancy tree patterns realized as well as they could be for this release, though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8204 on: December 07, 2013, 09:00:45 am »

Dear Fearless Toady One,

There was a previous exchange about this:

Quote from: monk12
There isn't yet the ability to time-skip, but it's a planned feature. Right now the best you can do is start/abandon a fortress a bunch of times- each new start will cycle the year forward to the next spring. Though actually, with worldgen activities continuing into play, that might change, or be a more involved process. Do world activities advance after an abandon? Will the game simulate world activities before the next fortress is founded?

Dealing with the abandonment/post-adventure time-skip is one of the clean-up things on the menu.  It'll have to advance the events, but as you can imagine, that's a reasonably messy process.

Does "post-adventure time-skip" refer to an automatic skip forward in time? Or is it an option to manually advance time in years (like a manually-activated world-gen continuation of history)? Because the latter sounds interesting, especially if it also allows time-skipping after abandoning (or retiring) a fortress.

In the current version, there's something like a two week skip for a new adventurer and a skip to the next spring for a fortress.  The ramifications for such a thing vs. the new active-world mechanics have not been addressed, and I'm not sure what'll end up replacing the time-skip if anything.
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 748