Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3736147 times)

Svankensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8460 on: December 26, 2013, 07:49:23 pm »

I got a new laptop for christmas, i hope that in less than a year i can start invading other laptops with my dwarves. I have this friend of mine that has always loved to hear my DF stories thats really excited with the latest developments, i believe that the next release might just be enough to get him to play.

Feature Request: Have your fortress lay siegue to another players fortress  :P.
Man that would be cool, but the overhaul the game would need would prolly be tremendous.

2016: 24 hour DF matches held in Korea just like with Starcraft. I imagine Pros sending reinforcements to the siegue, rushing deep for adamantite to get an edge, or the armies meeting halfway, or all that cool stuff that will happen in fortress mode on the next release. Man, i wouldnt watch 24 hours of someone playing DF, nor is there a comentator that can live up to that challenge, but the highlights would be so cool.

Feature requests go in the Suggestions forum, this particular one has been discussed quote a bit already. Also, IF this were somehow to make it in at some point, I'd put it at closer to 2036 than 2016 ;P

Ah, well, i imagined that much, it was a tongue-in-cheek feature request, hence the tongue smiley. The cheek smiley is way too complicated to create, thats probably the cause of the misunderstanding.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8461 on: December 27, 2013, 04:51:18 am »

And multiplayer DF is one of those that get suggested every now and then.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8462 on: December 27, 2013, 02:14:47 pm »

With all the new stuff, will there be any changes to arena functionality (besides the combat related changes)? I'm just wondering if we will have the option to edit the arena.txt so that we can put in rough walls for climbing for example? I know we can just use obsidian casting to make rough walls, but we'd have to rebuild the walls every time we exit the arena.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8463 on: December 27, 2013, 02:42:06 pm »

There are more arena options:

Let's see, you can set the combat state in the arena now, from lethal combat without quarter down to brawls and horseplay, and you can also turn morale on and off -- I did that mainly to test yielding and to fix some issue there with aardvarks surrendering and so on. Unarmed combat is more survivable, and on the other hand you don't have to actually damage somebody's brain to knock them out now. I didn't go too deeply into that, though, so as to move onward. That's the last of what I wanted to do with the combat changes. The next few days are going to be pretty busy though, with continued non-DFish stuff, so I should have some details of the next steps after the weekend. I'll probably be going back to the insurrections I had detoured away from to finish combat, unless other things need taking care of (stealth cleaning, perhaps).

I was starting in on tracking finalization when I became dissatisfied with having to hunt down certain situations, so I added some more options to arena mode. The map file can be given grass, dirt or sand, and the temperature, time, weather/clouds and fog level can also be set. You can pump the temperature up to dragonfire if you want to see the arena water channels boil off and the grass ignite, or you can put it down to deathly cold if you want to watch everything freeze. Playing around with stealth in heavy fog is also entertaining.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8464 on: December 27, 2013, 02:48:29 pm »

[ snip ]
You can also set mounts in the arena and control the mounts (from one of the DF Talks - controlling the rider apparently isn't recommended). We haven't heard anything about rough walls, though, as far as I remember.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8465 on: December 27, 2013, 03:08:22 pm »

*snip*

I said other than the combat related stuff as I know that the arena would be updated to match the current combat code. However, I had missed and didn't know about the environmental changes and the placement of natural terrain.

Branchoff(s) of my origonal question:

Will we be able to make the dirt and sand into walls in the arena? (actually, thats the same as my origional question, I just didn't know we could place them in the new version).

And will we be able to plant trees and shrubs on the soil in the arena?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 09:54:21 pm by smjjames »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8466 on: December 27, 2013, 09:02:51 pm »

Am I the only one hoping that the recent quiet is a prelude to a New Year's release? Well, if all my hopes are up then yours can be too.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8467 on: December 27, 2013, 09:55:35 pm »

I think you're the only one.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8468 on: December 27, 2013, 11:34:01 pm »

Me too, but I'm infected with irrational optimism and don't want to have my hopes too dashed!  Also I'd hope Toady and Threetoe are spending time with family.  But when I read Monk's post I did try to run through in my mind what's left on the devlist toady talked about, and I really have no idea what else there is to do...
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8469 on: December 28, 2013, 03:51:01 am »

Am I the only one hoping that the recent quiet is a prelude to a New Year's release? Well, if all my hopes are up then yours can be too.
Well if Toady was going to keep with his previous desire to not exceed the 40d->2010 cycle, he'd have to release tonight. And there's no clear evidence that he ISN'T just about to release.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8470 on: December 28, 2013, 04:01:30 am »

If he's going to release it, he'll release it.
If he's not going to release it, he won't release it.

It's that simple.
My heart wishes for the former, but my mind tells me the latter, seeing as we had no mention of the pre-release cleanup.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8471 on: December 28, 2013, 08:28:21 am »

Be realistic, if any date is probable, it would be for the next year. I highly doubt he's going to release rushed to the end year date.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8472 on: December 28, 2013, 12:41:15 pm »

He's probably just busy with end of the year stuff, also it's the holidays.

FotF monthly Q&A is also coming up.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8473 on: December 28, 2013, 03:53:09 pm »

Well, he was releasing devlogs daily, now there's a near week-long gap.  So maybe he's setting up for a release.

HOWEVER, lately there's been a holiday followed by the end month when he does donation rewards and the other end month stuff.  So a more likely explanation is that Toady hasn't done any work on DF worth commenting on.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8474 on: December 28, 2013, 06:09:35 pm »

Most likely is the holiday with his family keeping him busy, I know mine has been like that.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 748