Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3736178 times)

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8475 on: December 28, 2013, 07:50:50 pm »

Will fantasy in the game ever grow beyond Euro-centric fantasy?

Nothing wrong if it does not, but its just something to ask.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8476 on: December 28, 2013, 08:03:08 pm »

What do you mean by that? Theres nothing particularily Euro-centric about DF.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8477 on: December 28, 2013, 08:06:28 pm »

If you don't count elves, dwarves, dragons (very western in this game), bronze colossuses, hydras, unicorns, minotaurs and every other fantasy element in the game, you're entirely right :P

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8478 on: December 28, 2013, 08:36:50 pm »

While there are definitely some euro-centric elements to DF, I would argue that just the fact that there are multiple accepted skin tones that have no effect on how awesome a character can be, DF is still years ahead of mainstream video games when it comes to moving away from the European default.

Though this is probably not what was being asked.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8479 on: December 28, 2013, 09:21:37 pm »

Well, a lot of things are planned to end up more procedural as things move along (for example randomized dragons with differing shapes, breath attacks or other abilities and weaknesses. Same for vamps, werecreatures and a lot of other staple fantasy creatures), which will obviously move it further away from standard european fantasy. We already have the forgotten beasts which I'd say are a fairly unique and awesome flavoring agent. Another planned addition is procedural civilizations to complement the standard ones. Just imagine having say a race of turkey people, that'd be pretty far out there (although I guess the varieties might be limited to keep it from not getting too silly).

Then again, I might be interpreting this wrong and what you're actually asking if we'll see say asian fantasy elements added, or middle-eastern ones. I don't recall seeing Toady comment on that (although I'm sure Footkerchief will chime in if he did).

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8480 on: December 28, 2013, 10:13:41 pm »

Assuming he doesn't release the day after tomorrow, this will be the longest waiting time for a release, ever. In my opinion it's a bit inflated when you consider Fort Mode (the mode nearly everyone plays) is hardly changed. Adventure mode is going to be extremely awesome, however, and will possibly become the "main" mode for DF.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8481 on: December 28, 2013, 10:45:29 pm »

In my opinion it's a bit inflated when you consider Fort Mode (the mode nearly everyone plays) is hardly changed. Adventure mode is going to be extremely awesome, however, and will possibly become the "main" mode for DF.

I cannot tell you how much I hate this mindset. Is the ten years of development before the focus switch not good enough? The reason people don't play Adventure is because it hasn't been focused on.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8482 on: December 28, 2013, 10:52:27 pm »

I never said the switch was a good or a bad thing, only that the waiting time is a bit disproportionate to the expectations (in terms of actual changes) of Fort mode players who are the main userbase here. The switch was probably necessary but what I said isn't less true. No need to be defensive all of a sudden.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8483 on: December 28, 2013, 11:06:23 pm »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8484 on: December 28, 2013, 11:07:07 pm »

Sorry, I go in auto-mode at some statements. There's an awfully large subset of people who say that Adventure mode being worked on sucks because "nobody plays it".

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8485 on: December 29, 2013, 01:11:00 am »

Claiming that Fort Mode has hardly been worked on for the next release is mischievous at best. And it's wrongheaded to question extra work being put into a historically neglected mode simply because less people play it, when less people play it because it has been historically neglected in development.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8486 on: December 29, 2013, 01:19:19 am »

The personality rewrite will affect fort mode greatly.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8487 on: December 29, 2013, 01:49:32 am »

"I" play Adventure mode as I will never do good on the fort mode, so its good for me as I also love the history much more than either of the first two aspects I said.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8488 on: December 29, 2013, 03:54:16 am »

Unless I'm mistaken, the turning point has passed: This is now the longest release cycle.

If you don't count elves, dwarves, dragons (very western in this game), bronze colossuses, hydras, unicorns, minotaurs and every other fantasy element in the game, you're entirely right :P
The gods and religions feel a lot more like the stuff in Mesopotamian/central Asian early civilizations than anything remotely European though.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:25:30 am by Cruxador »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8489 on: December 29, 2013, 04:03:28 am »

Toady:   I think it's always been in the plan to have randomized main races, it was up on the old dev pages, I don't remember if it made it anywhere on the new dev pages or not? I think it might actually be there. Maybe not. It would be the last one, because doing randomized civilizations is an extra step beyond randomized monsters. Because we've kind of been easing in, we have the forgotten beasts now, we've got the titans, those are randomized. We have some of the underworld creatures randomized and we wanted to ease in to having some of the regular kind of monsters in the woods and stuff, randomizing those with a few extra night creature entries at some point and then kind of ease in to having some randomized regular creatures and then finally adding in randomized civilization creatures. The problem with randomized civilization creatures is there needs to be a lot of exposition or you're just going to be completely confused about what's going on, but it would definitely be an option, I think there would be a slider or something for how strange you want your world to be because we definitely think having dwarves and elves and goblins is cool for a lot of people just to kind of understand what's going on without having to do a lot of extra reading.

So yeah, the plan is to grow beyond our-reality centric fantasy.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 748