Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3736089 times)

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8505 on: December 29, 2013, 11:57:16 pm »

thank you for the answers, I do like the random genned ideas more than putting in even more stock myths.

will refugees or migration of members of a species ever have an affect on the culture or values the civs they assimilate into eventually?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8506 on: December 30, 2013, 12:25:31 am »

I haven't seen this mentioned specifically, but does the new contract system allow for dismissing companions? e.g. If a companion is too badly wounded to fight or too cowardly, can I tell them to take a hike, or do I have to order them to wait on the edge of a volcano until they get the message?

I think Toady is still finalizing this:
Finalized some details with guide agreements and cleaned up various issues there (people recommending violent criminals as guides, a broken status from world gen leading to rulers holding court in taverns, constant tearing down of keeps and mead halls in an alternating fashion year by year in world gen, etc.). I just need to handle the termination of guide agreements after the goal is reached, which I'm going to do when I handle the general termination of agreements (over infractions and so on, which is coming up).

will refugees or migration of members of a species ever have an affect on the culture or values the civs they assimilate into eventually?

These mechanics would also apply in refugee situations:
Rainseeker:   Is it going to be possible for us to get civilizations like goblin civilizations that go in unexpected directions like maybe they get a leader somehow from an elven civilization who enforces their beliefs on the goblins or something?
Toady:   I only put in little teeny baby steps in that direction back when I set up those ethics; looking in that direction I made it so that the ethics sit inside the civilization so that they're mutable; it doesn't just look at the definition that you put in the raw files, but within each civilization they're mutable; but they don't actually change yet. But that kind of thing is what will allow certain individuals and even sub movements ... this is the kind of thing where say in dwarf mode if you have a philosophical movement spring up and enough of your dwarves adhere to it it should start changing the actual fortress civilization in terms of how it thinks, and whether that's happening because the actual fortress ethics are changing or just because a majority of the people follow the ethics of this movement ... it's kind of one leads to the other, or it should anyway. So we're thinking about those things, we're definitely not ignoring that kind of stuff, but it's just a matter of getting it done and that always takes a long time.

[...]

Toady:   Yeah, I guess the next immigration wave would just be a bunch of dwarven runaways, all these kids come and they just want to check out the ... All the hipsters and various drug addicts and so on can come spilling into your fortress.
Capntastic:   So then we have Liberal Dwarf Squad, everything's a circle.
Toady:   Also there's the issue of ... This comes back to the internal groups within your fortress, like the religions and guilds and so on, because they all have the same cultural and ethical setups as well and each of those can come into play again as far as determining what the overall cultural makeup of your fortress is, and that's another way that cultures can change over time, by introducing new subgroups. Right now I'm not really sure how religions start during dwarf mode; it could be that pilgrims arrive and start preaching about things, or a dwarf could have a revelation, or there could just be your pioneer guys, your seven guys, all come there with their own beliefs to begin with, which is how it works now. They could then, when it comes time that your fortress is large enough for you to set up some kind of temples, or whatever the dwarves end up having for that kind of thing, then you could at that point have the religious subculture spring up around those locations. Then the aesthetics of that group can start coming into play when they interact with different objects in your fortress and other people come, and the outpost liaison again could be accosted by worshipers of a certain religion either in a peaceful way or a non-peaceful way, all that kind of thing. It's all a big mishmash and again the important part is when you have dwarves that overlap in several of those groups. It could be that the outpost liaison himself fits into one of those groups, like had been a miner during the first ten years during world generation, and so is very predisposed to your miner's guild guys and chats a few of them up when they meet in the hallway and then overall has a good disposition during the meeting with your mayor. There's all kinds of things like that just slowly get put in over time.

While individuals won't change religious/political beliefs in the next release, when they do get added in, will we be able to forcibly change another persons beliefs? I'm imagining some sort of Liberal Dwarf Squad where you go around kidnapping and converting people to your ideologies, presumably to achieve some sort of goal.

As mentioned above, subgroups will be able to cause broad changes in a culture, which could reasonably include forcible conversions.  Another type of forcible conversion will probably be used by cults -- the trolls in the current version already do some of this.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:51:50 am by Footkerchief »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8507 on: December 30, 2013, 01:27:30 pm »

Alright, so at at the moment goblins are the only ones who move around conquering things in play, and with no army battles they can only be defeated by insurrection or hijinks at their camps?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8508 on: December 30, 2013, 01:30:18 pm »

What are the raw tokens that are associated with whether a civ attacks or not?

It would be important for modding purposes, and we may even be able to just make the current races also attack if the token doesn't affect much else.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8509 on: December 30, 2013, 01:43:47 pm »

Alright, so at at the moment goblins are the only ones who move around conquering things in play

Huh?  Did you get that from this quote?
Quote from: Putnam
With all these changes to how rumors and such get spread, is there any change to, say, demons impersonating gods?

There probably should have been, but that's still something that exists from world gen and then isn't continued on as anything but an odd fact.  It'll technically matter when civ-level actions can be taken by non-gob entities, but there's something inherently rumory about it that isn't touched by the new rumor stuff.

Humans still conduct town-to-town raids.  They just don't act as a civilization yet.

What are the raw tokens that are associated with whether a civ attacks or not?

What kind of attacks do you mean?  Are you responding to a specific quote?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:51:12 pm by Footkerchief »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8510 on: December 30, 2013, 02:57:00 pm »

To clarify Footkerchief, I'm getting the impression that humans and others have village raids, with the establishment of tribute relationships, but the goblins are the only ones who attack the larger settlements, and the only ones able to occupy or demolish them. I also think they're the only ones with camps. I'm getting most of that from this in the devlog, 02/08/2013:  "More than fifty well-armed goblins round out the force, which is sizeable for this early year (21), and enough to take Meadowabbeys by surprise (that is, there aren't any army fights in this release)".
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8511 on: December 30, 2013, 04:55:18 pm »

What kind of attacks do you mean?  Are you responding to a specific quote?

I think what was meant was site raids.

Little Kingpin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8512 on: December 30, 2013, 08:16:09 pm »

About the multitile trees, how big are they going to get? Like, if we leave world gen running for a couple thousand years, are we going to start seeing Highwoods fifty z-levels tall that take a season to cut down?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8513 on: December 30, 2013, 08:20:19 pm »

About the multitile trees, how big are they going to get? Like, if we leave world gen running for a couple thousand years, are we going to start seeing Highwoods fifty z-levels tall that take a season to cut down?

There are already trees with trunks that grow up to 30 tiles wide (was that in diameter or radius?), although not sure if those are only found on Elven sites. The height wasn't mentioned, but such trees could easily be 50+ z levels tall.

I'm sure the width and heights are completely moddable, so you could make even more massive trees.

Edit:
Quote from: Toady One 07/10/2013 devlog
The elf caravan rolled in with chestnuts, mangos and coconuts, and also some grown oak items that won't make them angry if you try to resell them later. I've got their sites sorted out (at least in some releasable way, if not a satisfactory one), with some of their largest trees 30 tiles across now. So this section is pretty much handled -- I have a few more days of issues, new tree/vegey data entry which'll be ongoing up to the release, and dwarves chopping down trees left to do. That means I'll be getting on to finalizing dwarf sites pretty soon.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:28:55 pm by smjjames »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8514 on: December 30, 2013, 09:57:49 pm »

Actually, I think he meant that the canopy was 30 tiles across, not the trunk :>

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8515 on: December 30, 2013, 10:35:48 pm »

Yeah it's possible I misunderstood what he said.

Since full grown trees seem to exist from the beginning of time, there could be thousand year old trees already existing. It is a good question though.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8516 on: December 30, 2013, 11:52:49 pm »

How will civilisations react if their surroundings change? For example, if I built a bridge over to a remote island civilisation, would that civilisation begin to interact with my fort?
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8517 on: December 30, 2013, 11:54:49 pm »

How will civilisations react if their surroundings change? For example, if I built a bridge over to a remote island civilisation, would that civilisation begin to interact with my fort?
Toady has stated that any sites you make will be avoided, so you can't make bridges that will be used.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8518 on: December 31, 2013, 12:23:07 am »

Toady has stated that any sites you make will be avoided, so you can't make bridges that will be used.

May still work in the abstract as far as caravans go? I've heard of people building bridges to connect an island separated from the mainland and that worked.

I wonder why they would be avoided? Could be lots of reasons such as AI.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8519 on: December 31, 2013, 12:55:47 am »

Is tree height affected by the worldgen z-level height limit?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 748