Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3736145 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8520 on: December 31, 2013, 11:51:59 am »

Is tree height affected by the worldgen z-level height limit?

Isn't the worldgen height limit just the number of sky z-levels above the highest point on the embark at embark time? In theory it would go from the highest treetop, but yes, interesting question.

I have a tree modding related question of my own:

The other day I had an idea of making giant trees which are 100 z levels tall and 50 tiles wide, but are extremely rare. Is it possible to do this kind of thing? I'm sure the height and width of it would be doable, if extreme, but is it possible to use a population token like creatures have to control the rarity?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8521 on: December 31, 2013, 11:56:14 am »

Isn't the worldgen height limit just the number of sky z-levels above the highest point on the embark at embark time? In theory it would go from the highest treetop, but yes, interesting question.

I have a tree modding related question of my own:

The other day I had an idea of making giant trees which are 100 z levels tall and 50 tiles wide, but are extremely rare. Is it possible to do this kind of thing? I'm sure the height and width of it would be doable, if extreme, but is it possible to use a population token like creatures have to control the rarity?

Something like a world tree with whole civilizations living inside and up in the canopies sure would be cool, either modded or in vanilla ^^

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8522 on: December 31, 2013, 12:07:22 pm »

Is tree height affected by the worldgen z-level height limit?
Yes.
Quote from: Cruxador
But how tall are they? By all logic trees that wide should be like a thousand Z-levels tall, but that sounds likely to cause technical issues. On the other hand, a tree that's not substantially taller than it is wide would be far too silly.

For the 30 tile wide trees, I was talking about the crown, not the trunk, if that's the issue.  They are still limited in size by the sky, and to save time I haven't changed that.  Other trees are more okay the way they are -- maple trees, for example, can be roughly equal in height and width, and mine are currently too tall compared to their width, if anything.  I would prefer to get the heights up in general, though, if practical, and some of the elf ones are definitely on the short side.

As above, trees are affected by the the sky limit. On twitter, Toady mentioned that the largest trunks are 3 by 3 tiles, but it's not clear yet whether that's a hardcoded maximum or not. Trees already have a frequency token, defaulting to 50, and I wouldn't expect further controls for the time being.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8523 on: December 31, 2013, 04:08:02 pm »

Is there any way for us to plant our own trees?

For example, say I was trying to make elves a playable civ, and wanted to give them giant trees they can plant to live in once they grow.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8524 on: December 31, 2013, 05:19:23 pm »

Happy new year everyone!! Please don't drink and drive. If you are drinking please take a cab or stay the night.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8525 on: December 31, 2013, 05:35:00 pm »

Happy new year everyone!! Please don't drink and drive. If you are drinking please take a cab or stay the night.

Half an hour until 2014 here still.
That said, borderline no hope of DF2013 is left now.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8526 on: December 31, 2013, 05:53:01 pm »

Still got several hours here.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8527 on: December 31, 2013, 05:54:41 pm »

Well, ToadyOne is Pacific time and it's only about 3pm here, so in theory he has plenty of time to release something today if he so desires.

But I seriously doubt that's going to happen based on the Dev logs.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8528 on: December 31, 2013, 06:06:39 pm »

In my timezone it's still 2013 for 8 hours.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8529 on: December 31, 2013, 06:11:31 pm »

For example, say I was trying to make elves a playable civ, and wanted to give them giant trees they can plant to live in once they grow.

I'm sure that's planned, but I seriously doubt that's in this release.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8530 on: December 31, 2013, 07:36:09 pm »

Quote from: CLA
Do the fruits contain seeds of the trees? Will we see seeds for all plants now? Do new plants only grow where seeds are? Will animals disperse seeds?
Does tree growth depend on fertility of the ground? Can we influence that with fertilizer? Possibly order trees to be grown somewhere specific by planting a seed?

I haven't done the seeds yet.  I'm not sure exactly what'll happen there.  It would be really cool to be able to plant trees.  We'll see.  I haven't messed with the soil.

From a while back so not sure if much more has happened since on that front, but since we haven't really heard about it I'd guess no.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8531 on: December 31, 2013, 07:43:12 pm »

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I now consider the term DF2013 to be outdated.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8532 on: December 31, 2013, 07:53:00 pm »

Not for another 7 hours, no.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8533 on: December 31, 2013, 07:57:15 pm »

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I now consider the term DF2013 to be outdated.
Why? It's about the release date...

DF2014 will come soonish I'm sure ^^

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8534 on: December 31, 2013, 08:14:29 pm »

If it miraculously does come out within the next few hours, you may be calling it DF2013.
But given that now I live in the new year it's going to be DF2014.

What even makes you think it'll come out tonight? #cynicism
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 748