Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735641 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8985 on: January 28, 2014, 04:49:04 pm »

Toady hasn't mentioned any changes to the way the game decides where creatures residing in a fortress will be placed in that site. I suspect that locking dwarves in a room underground with zero access will more than likely still result in them showing up above-ground.

I'm not sure either way.  During Fortress Mode gameplay (probably Adv. Mode too?) the game partitions the map into "connected components" so that it knows which tiles are pathable (via walking) from each other.  So it wouldn't be that hard to store component info for each creature when the map is offloaded, and only allow them to spawn in that same component. But maybe there's a compelling reason to let them wander the whole site.

I strongly doubt that many syndrome effects will get respected while the map is offloaded, though.  There can't be much commonality between the update functions for on-screen and off-screen creatures.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:53:30 pm by Footkerchief »

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8986 on: January 28, 2014, 05:01:57 pm »

The way I understand things, the game doesn't really care much for connectivity when it comes to handling entities in an abstarct sense (i.e. all interactions are done at site level).

The "popping up to the surface" of followers when sleeping in the sewers/caves in adv mode thing is an aftereffect of that, I suppose.

Actual pathfinding only happens in-game I guess (I could be wrong).
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8987 on: January 28, 2014, 06:40:00 pm »

The way I understand things, the game doesn't really care much for connectivity when it comes to handling entities in an abstarct sense (i.e. all interactions are done at site level).

The "popping up to the surface" of followers when sleeping in the sewers/caves in adv mode thing is an aftereffect of that, I suppose.

Actual pathfinding only happens in-game I guess (I could be wrong).

Yeah, that's how it works in the current release.  I was speculating about how the upcoming release might have changed that behavior.  Toady's been putting a lot of work into fortress retirement, so it's not impossible.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8988 on: January 28, 2014, 07:15:08 pm »

I dfhacked a fort into retirement in the current release once. When I went back there as an adventurer, everyone was standing exactly where they were when I retired, even holding the things they were hauling/using for jobs. It was kind of creepy actually. Then I died by stepping into the trapped hallway.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8989 on: January 28, 2014, 10:11:26 pm »

Toady hasn't mentioned any changes to the way the game decides where creatures residing in a fortress will be placed in that site. I suspect that locking dwarves in a room underground with zero access will more than likely still result in them showing up above-ground.

I'm not sure either way.  During Fortress Mode gameplay (probably Adv. Mode too?) the game partitions the map into "connected components" so that it knows which tiles are pathable (via walking) from each other.  So it wouldn't be that hard to store component info for each creature when the map is offloaded, and only allow them to spawn in that same component. But maybe there's a compelling reason to let them wander the whole site.

I strongly doubt that many syndrome effects will get respected while the map is offloaded, though.  There can't be much commonality between the update functions for on-screen and off-screen creatures.

Hmm. I suppose a simplified way of doing it would look kinda like what Hugo just said: keep all the creatures where they are when the site is offloaded, and when it is reloaded put them in that same place. The game doesnt even need to know what connected segment they were in (the set of all pathable tiles), just what tile they were (the one tile occupied by a creature) in and then it can build a pathable range for them when the terrain data gets loaded.
Then if you really wanted to go nuts and make sure only units that could move while the site was loaded can move in the abstract when the site is offloaded, check if they have a path to the surface/caverns before offloading the site, and if they do not have a path then check a flag that makes them ineligible for abstracted in-play movement until the site is loaded again. Then the minotaur you walled away in your basement wont be pillaging the countryside in your absence.

I fully expect that this is impossible in terms of code, but it looks nice on code-paper :P
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:13:20 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8990 on: January 29, 2014, 09:20:54 am »

Retired dwarves need to be positioned at a reasonable location like a workshop or, especially important, the trade depot. If they can only be positioned at locations they can path to, that would double the complexity of placement. But maybe Toady thought of that and made it work right anyway.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8991 on: January 29, 2014, 12:01:40 pm »

Random thought here, I got to thinking about the new locomotion speed raws and realized that I don't think you have the speed raws for flight? Or you just didn't show us those? I remember you showing the speed raws for humans with all forms of locomotion other than flight. I'm sure you do have speed raws for flight, but just wondering here.

tl;dr
You did add speed raws for flight, right?

Also, for future modding reference, what's the conversion between whatever scale you are using for locomotion speed vs m/h or km/h?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:06:44 pm by smjjames »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8992 on: January 29, 2014, 12:19:44 pm »

Random thought here, I got to thinking about the new locomotion speed raws and realized that I don't think you have the speed raws for flight? Or you just didn't show us those? I remember you showing the speed raws for humans with all forms of locomotion other than flight. I'm sure you do have speed raws for flight, but just wondering here.

tl;dr
You did add speed raws for flight, right?
Yes.

Quote from: Demonic Gophers
You used humans for your example, which have WALK, CLIMB, SWIM, and CRAWL gaits.  Will flying creatures have various FLY gaits that operate the same way?  Will creatures like snakes and fish lack WALK gaits, and be unable to stand up?

Yeah, there is FLY as well.  The issue with crawling animals hasn't yet been resolved to my satisfaction.  It has been a long-standing problem with them vs. the "grounded" flag.  It's a large refactor, and I haven't dealt with it.  The most annoying part is the issue of unit occupancy, since you'd want to have multiple snakes in a square while suffering only certain grounded penalties, and still have them use their crawling gait.  So it just needs to be redone.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8993 on: January 29, 2014, 12:31:28 pm »

Oh it's already been asked, okay.

The conversion scale bit is still open for Toady One to answer.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8994 on: January 29, 2014, 12:49:20 pm »

I rather doubt there's a conversion scale, to be honest. Even if minecart physics seem to have put a size onto tiles, Toady seems to prefer to keep this aspect more abstract for the time being.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8995 on: January 29, 2014, 03:15:24 pm »

I rather doubt there's a conversion scale, to be honest. Even if minecart physics seem to have put a size onto tiles, Toady seems to prefer to keep this aspect more abstract for the time being.

Well, ticks themselves are rather abstract, I'm not sure if there's a consistent amount of ticks/turns in a day at all or if it's different in Fort mode vs adventure mode. If it's consistent, I guess we could do some calculations to measure the conversion rate or the relations (seeing as right now a lower speed value means faster).
May look into that, but it's just so much energy invested...
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8996 on: January 29, 2014, 03:25:27 pm »

Can't recall whether this question has been covered already, so ...

What happens to an adventurer that retires in a previously retired player fortress from dwarf mode once you reclaim the fortress? Will he just stay at the site and hang around or maybe even become a member of the society? Does the adventurer's race make any difference here?

And also pointing towards dwarf and adventure mode interference:

Since I'm able to claim a site, does this also apply to fortresses? What kind of sites ar claimable?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8997 on: January 29, 2014, 03:32:33 pm »

Well, ticks themselves are rather abstract, I'm not sure if there's a consistent amount of ticks/turns in a day at all or if it's different in Fort mode vs adventure mode. If it's consistent, I guess we could do some calculations to measure the conversion rate or the relations (seeing as right now a lower speed value means faster).

86400 ticks in a day in Adventure Mode and 1200 in Dwarf Fortress Mode, a scale difference of 72.

Dazenith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8998 on: January 29, 2014, 03:47:00 pm »

86400 ticks in a day in Adventure Mode and 1200 in Dwarf Fortress Mode, a scale difference of 72.

The time scale for fortress mode is really jarring. A dwarf going from his bedroom to workplace can take half a day or so. Dwarves only eat once every few days(taking a couple of hours to do so) and sleep about once a week. To top that off I don't know if there is a defined scale for the X,Y,Z levels which also seems rather abstract.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8999 on: January 29, 2014, 03:52:27 pm »

2,2,3 meters, I think.
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 748