Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733396 times)

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2012, 07:00:42 pm »

Please Tarn make the next few releases simple and fix all the bugs in dwarf fortress.

hahaha... all the bugs. That's a good one.

I find his username rather apt given his request...it would take a Santa Claus level of magic to make that possible in a timely manner, and would indeed be one hell of a present.
Not to mention it would probably take Toady until next Christmas, at the very earliest.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2012, 10:02:24 pm »

This release went pretty well beyond the scope stated on the dev page. Will the future caravan arc releases toe that line a bit more?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2012, 11:15:12 pm »

As much as I'd like a shorter release cycle again, the odds are against it; "Villager/farmer schedules/activities" and "Work with 3D mineral veins and mine maps" could potentially lead to incalculable town- and underground-related feature creep.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2012, 11:30:43 pm »

This release went pretty well beyond the scope stated on the dev page. Will the future caravan arc releases toe that line a bit more?

I don't think Toady knew he was going to make vampires and such until he actually started doing it (at least, at that time, it was planned for "eventually" before that), and he certainly wasn't planning on spending months doing it when he started off on doing it. 

The answer is very likely "Maybe, who knows?"  Maybe he'll strictly stick to his schedule, maybe he'll go off on a tangent again when a strange mood hits. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2012, 11:32:44 pm »

following to watch
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2012, 11:36:02 pm »

On the note of memory hacking to fix bugs, if toady was an AAA game developer he would flip the fuck out and try to sue the ever living shit out of them for helping them, hell im sure a number of indie developers might as well.

that is the wonderful factor that seperated toady from the rest. he is not making a product to sell, he is fulfilling his strange mood at the coder's workshop he claimed in 2002 and is creating an artifact program that will put planepacked to shame.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2012, 11:46:50 pm »

On the note of memory hacking to fix bugs, if toady was an AAA game developer he would flip the fuck out and try to sue the ever living shit out of them for helping them, hell im sure a number of indie developers might as well
Can you give example of any AAA corp acting that way? Sure they hate when people patch out their copy-protection, but I didn't see examples of any legal actions for even stuff like resource unpackers, not to mention custom patches.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2012, 12:03:04 am »

On the note of memory hacking to fix bugs, if toady was an AAA game developer he would flip the fuck out and try to sue the ever living shit out of them for helping them, hell im sure a number of indie developers might as well
Can you give example of any AAA corp acting that way? Sure they hate when people patch out their copy-protection, but I didn't see examples of any legal actions for even stuff like resource unpackers, not to mention custom patches.

ill search around if i get bored, not sure if there's an instance of an actual lawsuit being raised. but i know of a guy who got a cease and desist order for making an unofficial patch for one of EA's games.
im geussing they can sue for it, im just not sure how well it may hold up in court.

damn you, this is now going to waste a ton of my time googling random shit that i honestly shouldn't care about.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2012, 01:00:52 am »

On the note of memory hacking to fix bugs, if toady was an AAA game developer he would flip the fuck out and try to sue the ever living shit out of them for helping them, hell im sure a number of indie developers might as well.

that is the wonderful factor that seperated toady from the rest. he is not making a product to sell, he is fulfilling his strange mood at the coder's workshop he claimed in 2002 and is creating an artifact program that will put planepacked to shame.
He did flip out a bit the first time people started hacking DF's memory. Of course, he found out about that together with Khazad which was a whole 'nother shitstorm so it's understandable. At this point DFhack has existed for a long time and never* been used for anything that wasn't innocuous, so it's not too surprising that Toady's chill about it.

*Unless there's some small isolated instance of which I'm unaware.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2012, 01:40:51 am »

Toady also has the wonderful privilege of knowing 99% of his fanbase respects him enough to not use decompilers and memory hacking to steal or otherwise defile his wonderful creation.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2012, 04:58:47 am »

Toady also has the wonderful privilege of knowing 99% of his fanbase respects him enough to not use decompilers and memory hacking to steal or otherwise defile his wonderful creation.

Unfortunately, this is not true. Many just doesn't do it because they can't. If you search for it, there are places where you can find undeserved animosity towards Toady, even though they keep playing DF.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2012, 05:14:46 am »

Unfortunately, this is not true. Many just doesn't do it because they can't. If you search for it, there are places where you can find undeserved animosity towards Toady, even though they keep playing DF.

There is a difference between complaints or criticism or even venting frustrations and "undeserved animosity". 

There are plenty of complaints that one thing or another hasn't been fixed yet or cries for more attention be put to one thing or another all the time, but animosity - openly wishing ill upon or, in this case, wanting to steal from Toady, is something very rare.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2012, 05:26:38 am »

There is a difference between complaints or criticism or even venting frustrations and "undeserved animosity". 

There are plenty of complaints that one thing or another hasn't been fixed yet or cries for more attention be put to one thing or another all the time, but animosity - openly wishing ill upon or, in this case, wanting to steal from Toady, is something very rare.

You weren't here when one of those people caused a stir here on the forums recently (even demanding a refund from his donation), later sending email to people saying he was gonna to clone DF. I saw in other forums people wishing someone clone DF and drives Toady out of the genre...this is openly wishing ill, not just criticisms. Criticisms are welcome.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2012, 05:41:13 am »

I hang out in places famed for spewing undeserved animosity and even so I see nothing more negative than occasional hyberbole about the release schedule

You weren't here when one of those people caused a stir here on the forums recently (even demanding a refund from his donation), later sending email to people saying he was gonna to clone DF. I saw in other forums people wishing someone clone DF and drives Toady out of the genre...this is openly wishing ill, not just criticisms. Criticisms are welcome.
There have been a couple isolated instances like that. But besides the thing you mention and the Khazad thing, I can't think of any. Goblin Camp was intended to illustrate how things could work and was made with significant hope that Toady would copy elements of it, and I can't think of any other "DF clone" projects that have happened. In all the very many people that play and enjoy DF, or even just that small subset that posts on the forums, two people are a portion so small as to be negligible. Most projects and most devs see far more animosity than this; it's a note of how rare this is with DF that we can remember these specific instances rather than "there's plenty of people who wish he would just die/go out of business" which could honestly be said for most (all?) major devs and more than a few indie ones.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2012, 05:51:27 am »

/unrelated
seeing as, near the end of the old fotf, people started to explicitly ask the community instead of toady maybe the use of another colouring for highlighting such questions would be useful. maybe orange? also editing questions meant for toady which got already answered by the community to something else than limegreen(blue?).

also: good to see nw_kohaku alive(ive only been lurking around fotf, so i dont know about activities in other threads)

since i havent done this yet: thx toady for all the hard work and the new release. the bugfixes coming up also look great!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 748