Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3732819 times)

Tiresais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9045 on: February 01, 2014, 05:03:47 am »

Thanks for all your work Toady! Could you please give me one of the following options

1) force trader to turn up to trade depot, ignore all other jobs

2) failure to attend trade depot is punishable by removal of limbs one-by-one.

I mean I have a work around so far - giant spiders in caverns like ripping limbs off - but I just feel tat i'd be even more satisfying to see the sadness in his eyes as his fellow dwarves turn the crank and rip his arms off for leaving me with 1000 fine toys but no metal weapons...

I have 99 problems, and they're mostly related to job-ignoring :p

Rapozk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9046 on: February 01, 2014, 05:27:18 am »

I can't wait til the next release. I got so many ideas for adventures and fortresses to build... But I have been reading so much about the next release that I can't stand going back to the latest release...

Any hints on when we can expect the next release?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9047 on: February 01, 2014, 06:57:12 am »

I can't wait til the next release. I got so many ideas for adventures and fortresses to build... But I have been reading so much about the next release that I can't stand going back to the latest release...

Any hints on when we can expect the next release?

Most popular guesstimate now seems to be late February-mid March.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9048 on: February 01, 2014, 07:05:05 am »

Thanks for all your work Toady! Could you please give me one of the following options

I mean I have a work around so far - giant spiders in caverns like ripping limbs off - but I just feel tat i'd be even more satisfying to see the sadness in his eyes as his fellow dwarves turn the crank and rip his arms off for leaving me with 1000 fine toys but no metal weapons...

Suggestions go in the suggestions section :p  Besides, you can just set it to anybody can trade if your usual trader is on break or something.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9049 on: February 01, 2014, 10:43:56 am »

I really like Dragons, so I embarked on a Dragon's lair. I didn't even need the 'embark anywhere' mod to do it, which was neat, and there were SEVEN Dragons there! (It was an otherwise empty island in the middle of the ocean, so the Dragons were really the only ones who could reach it to settle there.)

However, none of the Dragons at the lair were tameable/trappable in Fortress mode because they were 'residents'. Has this been changed/resolved in any way? Can animal residents be trapped and then have their allegiances/residencies changed correctly when they are trapped now?

I don't think any relevant changes have been made.  What's stopping you from trapping the dragons?

It's a very old mechanic. Residents of a site (the things that lived there before you embarked) are immune to the traps you put there.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #9050 on: February 01, 2014, 01:12:29 pm »

Some comments, largely about potential interplay of game mechanics and realism, more than questions...

It would be interesting to see if, when army attacks require the army to be able to get to the map location, deep sites are vulnerable to attack via the underground roads once armies have taken their fortresses. It would also be interesting to see if they have builtin defenses such as shutting gates to those roads or intentionally causing caveins. (Such defenses could be used as a cop-out if there are technical difficulties getting such attacks to work; instead, when a fortress is taken the deep site road to it could be blocked off to explain to the player why no attacks can occur there. Just bouncing possibilities around in my head here.)

It would be interesting if, once you can change the savagery of a tile by wiping out enough of the animal population, killing enough non-savage creatures would change the savagery and cause savage creatures no longer to appear either. You could hand-wave that as a sort of food chain thing -- the savage predators don't have enough prey -- without ever actually adding a food-chain ecosystem mechanic.

If climbing speed and walking speed are set independently, the flip side is that we could have creatures like spiders that climb at least as fast they walk, while normal creatures climb slower than walking. Or, let's say monkeys in trees...

If I recall correct that I heard a while back that enemies can jump if they happen to see that the far ledge is within range, and can climb under similarly limited conditions, but cannot jump to a landing in a climbing position -- i.e. will not jump over a gap if the far ledge they'd have to land on is the side of a wall... then putting a moat full of water (which would have to be passed by jumping, for non-swimming creatures; use magma instead to block all but the fire creatures from the depths) around a standard one z high wall (which cannot be jumped onto the side of) might be a simpler alternative to attempting to set up walls too high to climb over or with an impassable overhang. And then we're back to the so-traditional-it's-stereotyped image of castles with moats around their walls. 8^) (Which, let's face it, worked in real life for a reason. It keeps ladders and seige engines at a greater distance from the walls, thereby boosting the walls' effectiveness.) It might be interesting to make jumping-onto-a-wall a special skill granted only by a raw tag, down the road, so that if such a mechanic is added it doesn't make all creatures into clones of Peter Parker by default, but rather respects the realism of moat-surrounded walls being virtually unclimbable.

I wonder if pathing additions/improvements, especially the whole accessible components thing, will ever fix the processing waste that occurs when animals keep trying to figure out if they can path through closed doors. (Ok, that's almost a question, and isn't about gameplay mechanics vs. realism... eh, whatever.)
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9051 on: February 01, 2014, 01:32:51 pm »

Job priorities is one of the all-time most popular suggestions.  It's slated to get worked on after the release.

It's a very old mechanic. Residents of a site (the things that lived there before you embarked) are immune to the traps you put there.

Interesting.  Not sure if that's intentional -- might warrant a bug report.

I wonder if pathing additions/improvements, especially the whole accessible components thing, will ever fix the processing waste that occurs when animals keep trying to figure out if they can path through closed doors. (Ok, that's almost a question, and isn't about gameplay mechanics vs. realism... eh, whatever.)

For what it's worth, this is on the bug tracker.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9052 on: February 01, 2014, 02:36:19 pm »

Dwarves consider torture unthinkable.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9053 on: February 01, 2014, 02:51:15 pm »

Dwarves consider torture unthinkable.

It's not torture if he dies in the end, is it? Think of it as capital punishment.
Besides, it's unthinkable, but quite enjoyable.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9054 on: February 01, 2014, 02:54:59 pm »

Interesting.  Not sure if that's intentional -- might warrant a bug report.
A Toady post on that behavior. It's kind of an incomplete feature I guess. They should know about pre-existing traps, but not about newly-built ones, but since it seems residents have the same site knowledge as you right now, it might not be quite straightforward.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9055 on: February 01, 2014, 03:33:18 pm »

Cool, then no report needed.  Might come up when Toady works on adventurer-made sites.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9056 on: February 01, 2014, 04:09:58 pm »

As he did work on the reclaims of sites taken by megabeasts, maybe he solved this issue already.

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #9057 on: February 01, 2014, 08:52:58 pm »

Will adventurers be able to spar with the new combat levels? It would be nice if you could train on the villagers without slaughtering a bunch of innocents.

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but it seems reasonable.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9058 on: February 01, 2014, 09:23:34 pm »

Will adventurers be able to spar with the new combat levels? It would be nice if you could train on the villagers without slaughtering a bunch of innocents.

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but it seems reasonable.

IIRC, formal sparring won't be part of adventure mode for this release, but it will be possible to level up by non-lethally beating people. What happens when an adventurer aquires a training weapon by some means and uses it in this way(?) seems like an open question for now.

There will be bandits hanging around towns and villages just to mess with people now, so you can get your fight on without necessarily hurting innocent people, although there are consequences for killing them too.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9059 on: February 02, 2014, 03:40:44 am »

I just realized I never PTW'd this.  So, PTW.   :D
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 748