Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3731003 times)

Rapozk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9060 on: February 02, 2014, 04:42:07 am »

Toady, will you make it so that dragons can breed in fortress mode, in the next release, without modding?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9061 on: February 02, 2014, 10:02:37 am »

Toady, will you make it so that dragons can breed in fortress mode, in the next release, without modding?

I believe it's on hold until next time Toady works on pets:
Quote from: Lovechild
If I steal a dragon egg, will it hatch? And will the baby dragon think I'm its mom, or try to kill me?
Quote from: freeformschooler
I realize that we'll probably be able to raise dragons and rocs from eggs in Fortress mode, but will we be able to do so in ADVENTURE MODE? Since there will probably be horse riding, I don't think it's too far off.

Right now it won't hatch, but it could still turn out any way since I'm not finished yet.  But yeah, as more pet support goes in, various stuff is going to happen.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9062 on: February 02, 2014, 10:47:37 am »

To what extent do you know, when you code something, that it is only a placeholder for the 'real' code to come later on down the line? What percentage of the game do you think will have to be rewritten, so far?

Are there any familiar features of the game that you expect will completely change or be removed in the future?

If your civ starts with no access to, say, native copper, but you build a fort that does, will the civ then have access after retirement? Would it be necessary to actually mine it, or to sell it? Would surface plants become available in trade or for embark for that civ?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9063 on: February 02, 2014, 10:56:41 am »

Are there any familiar features of the game that you expect will completely change or be removed in the future?

Cave-in mechanisms comes to my mind first. Currently those are only placeholders.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9064 on: February 02, 2014, 10:58:06 am »

Tons:
  • artifacts (and probably moods to a lesser extent)
  • embarks -- 7 dwarves with no particular plan will become the exception, not the rule
  • sieges and ambushes -- will cease to exist as specific hardcoded events, instead moving under the Army Arc umbrella
  • ranged weapon mechanics like reloading
  • parties -- needs more music etc, probably coming with inns/taverns
  • merchants and their hardcoded assortment of guards and pack animals
  • workshop buildings -- I think these are planned to become zones eventually

That's just off the top of my head.  Many if not most features have major changes planned.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9065 on: February 02, 2014, 11:10:50 am »

I hope we get a release this month.  :)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9066 on: February 02, 2014, 12:29:39 pm »

If Toady was to be given a cent every time that sentence has been said he would have twice the money he gets from donations.
That said, I too hope for that, but you can't really tell at this point.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9067 on: February 02, 2014, 01:11:10 pm »

If Toady was to be given a cent every time that sentence has been said he would have twice the money he gets from donations.
That said, I too hope for that, but you can't really tell at this point.

Quote from: Threetoe
There really isn't a lot left before the next release comes out.

Quote from:  Toady One
Continuing to roll along.  It's roughly the same mixture of critters left, but the pile is quite a bit smaller now.

They are much more optimistic than they were in January's report.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9068 on: February 02, 2014, 01:35:54 pm »

I guess you might be right after all.
It'll come when it's done, and we shall all be happy then!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9069 on: February 02, 2014, 02:15:37 pm »

So recently (today, actually) I have read about the so-called Maarten Principle and I thought that it might be interesting to ask: do you think same (or at least similar) kind of thinking could be applied to DF's development and planning?

If the read's too long, here are a few images that quickly get the idea of The Maarten Principle across:

...Yes, Bay12 =/= Ronimo (that's even mentioned in the blog), but I still think that it may seem interesting.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #9070 on: February 02, 2014, 03:15:08 pm »

Hofstadter's law also applies:
Quote from: Hofstadter's law
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9071 on: February 02, 2014, 04:45:29 pm »

Accurately estimating how long a programming task takes is hard, but it's a trainable skill, not a doomed venture. It is possible to have some proficiency.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:11:04 pm by King Mir »

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #9072 on: February 03, 2014, 02:25:35 am »

We must therefore construct a danger room to train said skill!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9073 on: February 03, 2014, 02:39:42 am »

New Devlog
Did some final work on ambush positioning and random things like travel restrictions and timers vs. harassment activities. I guess the high point was when the line of sight and ambush placement code got scrambled and all of the bandits after the first got placed in the air on a line between the player and the hillside where the bandit commander was standing. Lots of subsequent thudding and bruises.

Sounds pretty exciting; A bandit commander ordering his troops around from a nearby hillside, smirking at the player, and perhaps even shooting with a crossbow while player is busy fighting the lower bandits.

Also: hilarious placement issues there. "Hey, you guys, jump into the air and levitate between me and that traveller! I SAID DO IT!!!"

I doubt bandit commanders will hang back though. They'll prob just charge in unless they are marksmen or archers. Ah well.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9074 on: February 03, 2014, 03:30:23 pm »

Waiting for the update feels more and more like Waiting for Godot. Even the first sentence summarizes it perfectly: "Nothing to be done".
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 748