Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735076 times)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9315 on: February 20, 2014, 10:45:10 am »

Emotional Triggers + Transforms....

"You are making me angry... you won't like me when I'm angry."
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Gremdavel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Gremdavel
« Reply #9316 on: February 20, 2014, 10:50:04 am »

If we're able to spit and sweat, does that mean that adventurers no longer need to make sure they have a supply of water, because they can just jump and and down a bunch, get sweaty, and drink their own sweat?  Or spit on themselves and then drink it?  Or have you taken this into consideration and caused sweat/spit to proportionally increase the adventurer's thirst?

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9317 on: February 20, 2014, 11:41:32 am »

that sounds intersting if you where playing as one of those creatures that spit something deadly.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9318 on: February 20, 2014, 12:00:38 pm »

I hope the dwarves/humans will sell barrels of kobold tears. When/if any barrels can be dumped as a liquid like water, I will fill a moat with the blood and tears of my enemies.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9319 on: February 20, 2014, 12:08:56 pm »

Emotional Triggers + Transforms....

"You are making me angry... you won't like me when I'm angry."

Urist McBanner: "Ye're makin' meh engry, you won't like meh when I'm engry'

*TRANSFORM NOISE* *RHOARRR*

'URIST SMASH!'

I imagine this could also be useful for the DBZ mod.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9320 on: February 20, 2014, 12:16:42 pm »

Spat/Secreted/Whatever fluids will still freeze in some conditions right?

That behavior will be the same as in the current version.  Toady didn't change how temperature affects objects, he fixed a bug where the raws weren't being properly applied to the projectile's initial state.

If we're able to spit and sweat, does that mean that adventurers no longer need to make sure they have a supply of water, because they can just jump and and down a bunch, get sweaty, and drink their own sweat?  Or spit on themselves and then drink it?  Or have you taken this into consideration and caused sweat/spit to proportionally increase the adventurer's thirst?

There are already similar exploits for blood etc, so it won't really change the equation.

Gremdavel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Gremdavel
« Reply #9321 on: February 20, 2014, 12:30:46 pm »

There are already similar exploits for blood etc, so it won't really change the equation.

True, although from my experience there's still some minimal effort and risk involved in the current state.  Spitting on yourself makes it exploitable to the point where it might merit immediate change in the mechanics (provided it was a simple enough change, of course, but only Toady knows how simple/complex that would be).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:32:54 pm by Gremdavel »

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9322 on: February 20, 2014, 01:22:16 pm »

Will tears of joy exist as well?
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9323 on: February 20, 2014, 01:27:07 pm »

We've heard about a lot of specific triggers for negative emotional states, but none for happiness, so I'm assuming no.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9324 on: February 20, 2014, 01:29:05 pm »

True, although from my experience there's still some minimal effort and risk involved in the current state.  Spitting on yourself makes it exploitable to the point where it might merit immediate change in the mechanics (provided it was a simple enough change, of course, but only Toady knows how simple/complex that would be).
It's simple: drinking sweat/spit probably gets "No, that's disgusting" unless dehydrated, and perhaps you can't produce either fluid in that state.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:16:26 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9325 on: February 20, 2014, 03:09:48 pm »

We've heard about a lot of specific triggers for negative emotional states, but none for happiness, so I'm assuming no.

Technically, Toady mentioned the secretion trigger as "extreme emotion", so I wouldn't necessarily discount it (and he wants to get to some kind of cheerier territory). On the other hand, people seem to interpret the negative social response usage hit rather too broadly as emotional usage hints in general.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9326 on: February 20, 2014, 03:21:00 pm »

It's simple: drinking sweat/spit probably gets "No, that's disgusting" unless dehydrated, and perhaps you can't produce either fluid in that state.
Urist McThirsty is extremely thirsty.  He needs to drink soon to avoid dying of dehydration.
Urist McThirsty happens upon a well and sheds tears of joy at his discovery.
Urist McThirsty dies of dehydration.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9327 on: February 20, 2014, 03:45:49 pm »

Hmm, that is a good point... We lose water we excrete as sweat or tears. Or whatever... Logically that would prevent drinking your own sweat, tears, and blood from being exploited as a why to stave off dehydration, as in the best case scenario you'd only refund what water you lost, which doesn't work IRL obviously but is feasible in a game. Toady will handle those exploits whenever he feels like, I suppose. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9328 on: February 20, 2014, 03:48:48 pm »

Hmm, that is a good point... We lose water we excrete as sweat or tears. Or whatever... Logically that would prevent drinking your own sweat, tears, and blood from being exploited as a why to stave off dehydration, as in the best case scenario you'd only refund what water you lost, which doesn't work IRL obviously but is feasible in a game. Toady will handle those exploits whenever he feels like, I suppose. :P

This is Dwarf Fortress. Your statement relies entirely upon whose blood, sweat and tears you are drinking.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9329 on: February 20, 2014, 03:53:35 pm »

Well, yeah, logically you can hydrate yourself by consuming fluids of other people/animals. Just not your own.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 748