Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3734736 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9435 on: March 01, 2014, 02:35:44 pm »

Will day dreams and/or absent-minded thought make it into the tavern arc? Will there be tradeoffs between work and play? Will starting scenario's reflect previous failures, say if you're attempting the tenth consecutive reclaim of a fort in as many years, or particularly irrational/insane settlement choices?color]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:01:13 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9436 on: March 01, 2014, 03:10:56 pm »

There are better things than corpses to catapult in DF. Corpses soaked in Forgotten Beast extract, for one.

Or corpses who happen to be undead...  Perhaps a necromancer in full adamantium plate that menaces with spikes of slade?  Can you see it: necro gets launched over the battlefield, waving his little arms and all the dead rise before he smacks into the target area, his slade spikes making hash out of the general and his vangaurd...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9437 on: March 01, 2014, 03:14:07 pm »

At that point you might as well strap him to a flaming rum barrel.  I mean if you've committed the sin of necromancy I guess the sin of wasting booze isn't too much worse.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9438 on: March 01, 2014, 03:34:25 pm »

Will day dreams and/or absent-minded thought make it into the tavern arc? Will there be tradeoffs between work and play?

As demonstrated by the upcoming release, it's hard to predict which features will get incidentally implemented.  However, the tavern arc will definitely include merrymaking, music, and carousing.

Will starting scenario's reflect previous failures, say if you're attempting the tenth consecutive reclaim of a fort in as many years, or particularly irrational/insane settlement choices?

The goal is for the scenarios to reflect the current state of the world as much as possible, including previous failures and the likelihood of success, so yeah:
Fortress Starting Scenarios
    Starting scenarios giving a back story for your fortress, often related to current world situation
        Reclaim mechanics should be folded into this
Threetoe:   Okay, so the next question: 'Are we likely to see the old 80-dwarf reclaim teams again anytime soon? I miss being able to command a huge military of dwarves to reclaim that legendary metal from the invaders, and a starting seven kitted out with bronze weapons just doesn't do it.'
Toady:   I don't remember why we got rid of that, because it was cool. I think the issue was more of a technical one, and a release-time one. This is me trying to remember stuff from years ago, but I think it was when the military screen changed and the whole military structure changed, and we started having to track all this extra information about the military; it became a pain to set up the reclaim squads right. It could just be something like that. I don't think we're against that because the start scenarios that we're doing for fort mode are going to have all kinds ... there could still be a core seven dwarves, if we want to stick with that out of a sense of tradition, but there are going to be scenarios where you start with a bunch of hill dwarves outside of your civilization, and starting with a larger military group - especially to reclaim a really dangerous fort - seems as cool to me as back when we had it before.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9439 on: March 01, 2014, 09:36:30 pm »

Uhh. I get a strong "No release this month guys" vibe from the report. It's probably more related to him wanting to avoid committing himself to a date, but I don't think so.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9440 on: March 01, 2014, 10:23:51 pm »

I don't mind waiting if it means as many yams as there are gibbons. Maybe we're on track for another April Fool's release.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9441 on: March 01, 2014, 11:07:32 pm »

Anyone mind explaining the yam/gibbon thing to my ignorant self?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9442 on: March 01, 2014, 11:11:08 pm »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9443 on: March 01, 2014, 11:16:17 pm »

Isn't the siamang also a type of gibbon?

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9445 on: March 01, 2014, 11:40:39 pm »

Two questions:

Will neutral parties (like hunting trips, migrants to different forts, etc) pass through fortresses without any intent to make contact?

In the distant future, will there be sound to go with the game?
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9446 on: March 01, 2014, 11:55:29 pm »

There is sound, in the form of an Eb diminished chord followed by an A minor followed by an E minor...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9447 on: March 02, 2014, 12:38:37 am »

And, of course, Soundsense.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9448 on: March 02, 2014, 12:56:20 am »

I don't mind waiting if it means as many yams as there are gibbons. Maybe we're on track for another April Fool's release.
DF April 1st:
  • See update, squeal.
  • Download
  • Open File.
  • Gibbons.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9449 on: March 02, 2014, 01:00:38 am »

Thanks for the answer on gibbons.

Also, Misko, terribly sorry. I just burned your stuff in Necrothreat. No hard feelings? :P

Whoops, sorry. Scratch the above. It's six in the morning and I mistook Misko for Meepo. *Facepalms*
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 01:05:52 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 748