Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3732776 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #945 on: April 01, 2012, 02:17:46 pm »

These hauling improvemnts will be the right moment for Toady to tackle on those old issues like adventurers carrying dragons in their backpacks 
 or dwarves moving tons of rocks everywhere.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 02, 2012, 09:31:32 am »

Can't wait what will the new hauling system will be !

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 02, 2012, 08:25:25 pm »

Can't wait what will the new hauling system will be !

Holy Carp!

They can carry bins and store at the same time!

YES!
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 02, 2012, 08:26:28 pm »

Quote from: Toadonalog
Seeing a single dwarf clean up a seed-ridden dining room as a single job is a beautiful thing.

Yipes.  Can you believe this is happening?  I don't think there has been a better update within memory.  What on earth are peasants going to do with all this new free time?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 02, 2012, 08:34:41 pm »

Quote from: Devlog
This afternoon there were dwarves running around with bins, bags and barrels, vacuuming up items.

So, bins/bags/barrels: that covers the hauling of pretty much everything but furniture or raw materials. I am excited enough by this that I don't actually care if Toady gets to carts or barrows or whatever.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: April 02, 2012, 08:46:10 pm »

So, bins/bags/barrels: that covers the hauling of pretty much everything but furniture or raw materials. I am excited enough by this that I don't actually care if Toady gets to carts or barrows or whatever.

Wheelbarrows are really nothing more than a means to carry more weight with less effort.

There would be some programming effort in how, exactly, such equipment would be assigned, but the real heavy lifting is the thing he just accomplished - the ability for a job to group itself with other, similar jobs.  (Remember, jobs select dwarves, not the other way around in this game.)

I hope this still applies when there are not bins, however. 

With all that said, however, I completely agree with this:
Yipes.  Can you believe this is happening?  I don't think there has been a better update within memory.  What on earth are peasants going to do with all this new free time?

This has been at the top of the ESV for longer than I've been playing DF.  It is a major step forward, both for all the people who wanted to see these improvements made, but also in that Toady is responding to the ESV at all.  It is quite heartening to see player feedback taken seriously.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 02, 2012, 08:55:26 pm »

Wheelbarrows are really nothing more than a means to carry more weight with less effort.

There would be some programming effort in how, exactly, such equipment would be assigned, but the real heavy lifting is the thing he just accomplished - the ability for a job to group itself with other, similar jobs.  (Remember, jobs select dwarves, not the other way around in this game.)

I hope this still applies when there are not bins, however. 

With all that said, however, I completely agree with this:

This has been at the top of the ESV for longer than I've been playing DF.  It is a major step forward, both for all the people who wanted to see these improvements made, but also in that Toady is responding to the ESV at all.  It is quite heartening to see player feedback taken seriously.
He was taking it seriously a few years ago, when the a good portion of the top ten ESV made it on the near term development page.  I recall a Toady One post explaining why not every one of the top ten ESV made it to the Dev Page, but my search fu isn't at Fookerchief levels. I wish I could recall the details.

It just seems like a freaken ever because, it has been since the new "Short Term" Dev page was made. Though on the other hand, he is getting to the Top ESV after Release 1 was done for the Caravan Arc, which from that perspective isn't to bad really.

And honestly, I dont know which perspective is more accurate or meaningful.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 02, 2012, 09:24:40 pm »

This afternoon there were dwarves running around with bins, bags and barrels, vacuuming up items.

There will be caveats -- I suspect that dwarves will only multi-grab items that are heading for the same stockpile (I think the problem gets a lot harder otherwise).  Still, this is cool, and it's pretty encouraging that Toady got something working already.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 02, 2012, 09:41:47 pm »

I'm glad to see that Toady is finding the process of bug-fixing/game mechanics overhaul to be beautiful. I think the emotional satisfaction we see him gain from the completion of such goals is a better indicator of whether or not he is likely to handle the other bugs in the ESV in a timely manner.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 02, 2012, 09:44:41 pm »

There will be caveats -- I suspect that dwarves will only multi-grab items that are heading for the same stockpile (I think the problem gets a lot harder otherwise).  Still, this is cool, and it's pretty encouraging that Toady got something working already.

It's also worth mentioning that this is perhaps the biggest single jump that can be made in the job-assigning system that doesn't add significant amounts of inefficiency in terms of the game being more laggy in exchange for boosted dwarven AI efficiency in terms of making less trips.

In the more complicated models that have been discussed, the degree of lag that gets added has to be balanced with the "intelligence" that the dwarves show in trying to solve the "postman problem".

Which isn't to say they aren't worth pursuing, but what Toady is working on now is the lowest-hanging and single most rewarding of the fruits.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 02, 2012, 10:07:21 pm »

This problem has existed so long, with so many proposed solutions that Toady almost certainly has been considering solutions in his head for years.  It does not suprise me that he started something and got it rolling quickly.  Hopefully he's considered far enough in advance that there aren't any cliffs ahead  :)  If so, I have confidence that there will at least be something better, even if it's not ideal.

It's so hard to ty to complement Toady without sounding like a fanboi, guess I just have to live with it if people think that of me, lol.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 02, 2012, 11:37:43 pm »

Jreengus Christ, that was fast.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 03, 2012, 12:31:36 am »

I love it. I did not need seeds in my dining room. And hauling them employed many dwarves, who themselves contributed to the seed problem. I hope dwarves can take a bin and go to my craft workshop and fill it with bone crafts. A legendary bone carver could easily churn out crafts fast enough for several haulers -- dozens at times -- depending on the workshop to stockpile distance.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #958 on: April 03, 2012, 12:58:46 am »

I'm really curious as to HOW Toady did it. The forums have discussed it for years and the best theory I've ever heard is that a dwarf would automatically look for hauling tasks starting and ending in nearby places.

So my question is, erm, how did you do that?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 03, 2012, 01:03:38 am »

This afternoon there were dwarves running around with bins, bags and barrels, vacuuming up items. Seeing a single dwarf clean up a seed-ridden dining room as a single job is a beautiful thing.

Will the reverse be done?  That is, will a planter be able to carry around a bag of seeds when planting a field, instead of having to make a round trip to bag for each seed planted?
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 748